Grand Nationals 2018???

I know, I know! It's far too early to be discussing this- the season's only been over for 2 days! BUT, it's always fun to speculate about which Texas bands will be attending and I've heard a rumor or two about which groups might be taking the plunge in 2018. Feel free to speculate as to who will and/or should be attending next year

I think the problem with 2016 was that they were pretty behind when it came to area. I don’t think that’ll happen if they plan on putting their whole show on the field by the end of band camp again lol their show this year would have been as success at state as Chameleon imo.

Or who knows, maybe they’ll just skip state again to get in last minute practice! I wish state and Nats weren’t in the same week.

CTJ is the rumor I was alluding to above which is very promising for texas's shot at a title- overall I think we'll see a light year in terms in tx participation due to 6A state, though I imagine there are some programs that are fortunate enough to take a week off school to do both but not many. I'd love to see dripping Springs take the plunge as they don't have State to worry about. I bet they'd do quite well and could be a threat for finals depending on what they brought that year

How often does Leander go? CTJ will be fun to watch at GN again, they blow my mind with the amount energy they put on the field!

Last year was our first year to go since 1999. The plan for now is to return again in 2019.

I may have to figure out a way go join my 2 CTJ mom friends next fall on their trip! :)

I hope Vandegrift and Hendrickson take the trip soon. They'd both do very well.

Tell the Hawk Directors that. I would love for my Senior next year to have that experience. I don't see it happening though.

From "Lost" at sea, to having a vision "3D" to tearing down that wall. Next year should have a theme like arrival. Reaching out and pushing the envelope. Give those freshman from 2015 redemption.

Who knows what they could do.

we KNOW Hebron is going?

No, not for a given. Its just an assumption, but that assumption is most likely correct, as I've heard that they were planning to go. Can't be sure though, they were supposed to go in 2013, and we all know that didn't happen.

Edit: I'm going to say it's safe to assume though, as they will most likely be going.

I wish Vandegrift went this year. They would’ve medaled...

I don't know. It was a fantastic show, but do you think they could medal at GN with a guard/dance team that doesn't spin or toss equipment beyond some relatively easy swing flag parts? I'm just thinking that there's no way when you have bands like Carmel, Avon, and Broken Arrow putting almost DCI-level guards on the field. But then again, I've asked about this before and been told color guard doesn't factor in as heavily as I think it should, so maybe Vandy would do great. I just don't see the incentive for other schools to do the hard and dangerous equipment work if a band can medal at SA and/or GN with just a dance team, y'know? Ronald Reagan uses dancers, but they have an equal number of guard members who use equipment (and do it well). That seems like a more effective way to use a dance team to me

I don't know. It was a fantastic show, but do you think they could medal at GN with a guard/dance team that doesn't spin or toss equipment beyond some relatively easy swing flag parts? I'm just thinking that there's no way when you have bands like Carmel, Avon, and Broken Arrow putting almost DCI-level guards on the field. But then again, I've asked about this before and been told color guard doesn't factor in as heavily as I think it should, so maybe Vandy would do great. I just don't see the incentive for other schools to do the hard and dangerous equipment work if a band can medal at SA and/or GN with just a dance team, y'know? Ronald Reagan uses dancers, but they have an equal number of guard members who use equipment (and do it well). That seems like a more effective way to use a dance team to me

Stephen F. Austin only had a dance team and was extremely successful at Grand Nationals:

2002 - 5th Place

2004 - 4th Place 

2008 - 8th Place

2010 - 9th Place

No "medal" placements, but their integration of the dance team was second to none and watching those ladies do the 2004 show was inspiring.  It can totally be done.  

Not trying to be rude, but Broken Arrows guard is NOT on the same level as Avon and Carmel. They're amazing performers and are very important to BAs show, but in terms of technical proficiency they are far from the level the other two are.

Stephen F. Austin only had a dance team and was extremely successful at Grand Nationals:

2002 - 5th Place

2004 - 4th Place

2008 - 8th Place

2010 - 9th Place

No "medal" placements, but their integration of the dance team was second to none and watching those ladies do the 2004 show was inspiring. It can totally be done.

I miss the golden age of SFAs competitive success.

2002 - 5th Place

2004 - 4th Place 

2008 - 8th Place

2010 - 9th Place

No "medal" placements, but their integration of the dance team was second to none and watching those ladies do the 2004 show was inspiring.  It can totally be done.  

I'm intrigued. I'll have to see if I can find some videos.

But that just reinforces the question of why other groups should continue doing the really difficult equipment work AND dancing if dance alone suffices. Is it just much more challenging to place high with a dance team alone?

But that just reinforces the question of why other groups should continue doing the really difficult equipment work AND dancing if dance alone suffices. Is it just much more challenging to place high with a dance team alone?

I'd say so.  However a program decides to create effect is up to them.  I can see why it would be difficult to convey visual effect with a dance team alone when you have guards tossing rifles that nearly hit the ceiling.  Then again, Vandegrift seems to be doing just fine :)

I'd say so.  However a program decides to create effect is up to them.  I can see why it would be difficult to convey visual effect with a dance team alone when you have guards tossing rifles that nearly hit the ceiling.  Then again, Vandegrift seems to be doing just fine :)

Yes. Yes they do.

Mad respect for what Vandegrift is accomplishing by the way. I'm just curious about what seems like an apples and oranges comparison between dance teams and color guards.

Check out the 2004 show (Ballet for Martha), the Simple Gifts finale is spellbinding, and probably the best performed rendition of Simple Gifts by a HS marching band.  They may have placed 4th that year at Nats, but the show was polished enough to where they could've won with the right panel (a 1.2 point gap from 1st-4th).  They won Outstanding Music that year as well as placing 1st in Vis GE, and it's clear why.  But more than that, this is the most intense show I've ever seen as far as the level of buy-in from the kids is concerned...it just oozes passion and energy.  Their dance team always had a sense of poise and stage presence back then that is similar to bands like Broken Arrow in the modern era....that rare feeling just from looking at their eyes that the kids really know what they're doing and why they're there.