UIL 5A Area 2017

Area D uploaded!!

***Dripping Springs won both Prelims and Finals.  All judges in Prelims and Finals had either Dripping Springs or Cedar Park in 1st Place.

WOW, this surprises me.

But just like 4 years ago when Vista Ridge won the region and got passed by Cedar Park at State Finals, I expect them to do the same this year.  

I feel like the Area results are often times a bit weird everywhere. The important thing is just to get the right bands advancing to state, no matter the order. I remember several times Coppell would barely squeak in when they were in old Area C, usually behind Rowlett, Berkner, Duncanville... only to usually surge ahead of them all at state.

So proud of all of the finalists in area D! They really played their hearts out and I’m so excited to advance to state! It has been 17 years since Georgetown has made it to the state marching contest and it feels good to be returning again. I’m so proud of everyone in my band program for making it happen when it counted.

WOW, this surprises me.

But just like 4 years ago when Vista Ridge won the region and got passed by Cedar Park at State Finals, I expect them to do the same this year.

Or two years ago when Leander won the area and CP and Vandy beat them at state. Area can be weird, and D especially. Also we should mention Rouse is going to state for the first time ever!

So proud of all of the finalists in area D! They really played their hearts out and I’m so excited to advance to state! It has been 17 years since Georgetown has made it to the state marching contest and it feels good to be returning again. I’m so proud of everyone in my band program for making it happen when it counted.

Lots of good stuff happening in the 5A band division this year! Amazing growth in many of the bands. Perhaps Vandy, Vista and Leander all moving up to 6A really benefited these 5A bands more than I had imagined. I love it!!

WOW, this surprises me.

I'm not sure why you would be surprised by DS finishing ahead of CP, nor am I sure why you would expect that result to change at State Finals.

CP and the all the bands in the LISD are great programs. But there are great programs outside the LISD with substantial and significant achievements, history and tradition, not to mention the state hardware to back it up.

CP and DS are both GREAT programs that have been among the elite not only in Area D but the State of Texas for years. DS was very strong and clean at Area. No question CP will continue to improve, but if DS continues to refine and clean their show, I think the coronation will have to wait.

I'm not sure why you would be surprised by DS finishing ahead of CP, nor am I sure why you would expect that result to change at State Finals.

CP and the all the bands in the LISD are great programs. But there are great programs outside the LISD with substantial and significant achievements, history and tradition, not to mention the state hardware to back it up.

CP and DS are both GREAT programs that have been among the elite not only in Area D but the State of Texas for years. DS was very strong and clean at Area. No question CP will continue to improve, but if DS continues to refine and clean their show, I think the coronation will have to wait.

Seeing as cedar park 11 pointed dripping springs at Austin and area is known for rarely predicting the state championship (the winner of area D went on to not when state in the last three cycles) I don't think assuming cedar park will pass dripping springs is at all illogical.

I think what many of us are taken by is the fact that lots of people are completely dismissing area results simply because Cedar park didn't win.

I don't discriminate, I dismiss nearly all area results because they rarely ever fit in the data of all other contests including state. Who wins isn't what is important. Its a qualifying round. 

I've always been a huge Dripping Springs fan, and I'm really rooting for y'all in the state competition. Their gorgeous butterfly show a few years back will go down as one of my all-time favorite marching band shows ever!

I am not dissing DS at all, I am a fan of their program.  They certainly continue to improve and impress.  Maybe it is the fact that year and year CP has a habit of showing up at the finals and nailing the final performance.  They have done it to us many times.