Chisholm Trail High School

Burleson High School

James Martin High School

1-2. Marcus or Keller

3. James Martin

4. Aledo

5. Trinity

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to know how burleson centennial did not win the percussion caption. Marcus was good as always but centennial in my opinion were playing harder licks and much cleaner overall.

Marcus plays a very understated percussion book that actually takes a lot of skill to pull off, especially considering how delicate their ensemble’s music is.

Marcus plays a very understated percussion book that actually takes a lot of skill to pull off, especially considering how delicate their ensemble’s music is.

I suppose so, but considering centennial was the underdog of this compeition it breaks my heart that they were so close to brings home that caption. (Marcus 1st with a 44. Centennial 2nd with a 43, keller 3rd with a 38)

I really, really hate GE.

That's an odd thing to say. But maybe you don't fully mean that, or maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

If GE was not judged whatsoever, a band could play long tones while marching 8-to-5 up and down the field, and would effectively be competing at the same level as a band with an actual show. Even UIL has a design element integrated into the music and marching captions.

Keller's tone was so pure, and the ballad was absolutely gorgeous.  They deserved that win in the music caption tonight.

The dance sequences at the beginning of the Marcus show are just incredibly creative and quirky.  And it's so clean now.  It's the first performance of the season where I just couldn't pull my eyes away from the field.  They have some musical issues to take care of, but I can't wait to see where this show goes over the next month. 

I guess I just don't like being judged on a GE because a portion of it is just based on how good of a show a third party writes. Like, you could have the greatest marchers and players, but it doesn't matter if you have a bad show.

I feel like this is a bit of a misconception. From a rubric standpoint, a lot of GE has nothing to do with show design. It has to do with how well each member is selling the design and how well the ensemble is making their design come to life with their performance. You can have an amazing design, but if each performer just looks like their going through the motions, and the ensemble looks lifeless and dead, they won't get a good GE score. It's more about the quality of the performance, and the energy the ensemble gives off. No contest would build a score around something that is out of the marchers' and directors' control.