2017 State Marching Contest (1A,2A,3A,5A)

I want us to discuss one thing here: when a good band like CP goes first at a UIL event they are literally the benchmark for everything. Because every judge has to ask "was that better than ___?" and as long as the answer is no they stay in first place. I wonder if CP has enough moments in that sjow where they can keep that answer a no the whole night. And if they can might we see a score of 5-8? And do we need to talk about the 2 and 1 rule?

They performed their show super well tonight.  The 2-1 rule might come in to play, considering how close Prelims was.  I mean, what?

I want us to discuss one thing here: when a good band like CP goes first at a UIL event they are literally the benchmark for everything. Because every judge has to ask "was that better than ___?" and as long as the answer is no they stay in first place. I wonder if CP has enough moments in that sjow where they can keep that answer a no the whole night. And if they can might we see a score of 5-8? And do we need to talk about the 2 and 1 rule?

I would not be surprised if we saw two groups with a score in the single digits. Obviously, it is easy for judges to keep track of their "number management" with 10 groups Vs. 35

What is the 2 and 1 rule?

True, but on the other hand the later draws are fresher on the judges mind. We had a 9AM draw time at area. I won’t get into details but ...yeah.

I would not be surprised if we saw two groups with a score in the single digits. Obviously, it is easy for judges to keep track of their "number management" with 10 groups Vs. 35

What is the 2 and 1 rule?

If a band earns 1st place ranking from two of the music judges, and one 1st place ranking from a marching judge that band automatically wins regardless of their overall composite score, so technically another band could have a lower composite score, but if they achieve the 2 and 1 rule they automatically win.

If a band earns 1st place ranking from two of the music judges, and one 1st place ranking from a marching judge that band automatically wins regardless of their overall composite score, so technically another band could have a lower composite score, but if they achieve the 2 and 1 rule they automatically win.

Interesting. Does anyone know if that has ever come into play?

Interesting. Does anyone know if that has ever come into play?

It came in to play at 2A Finals last night!!  Clarksville had a total score of 9 and Valley Mills had a total score of 8.  Clarksville had two music judges and one marching judge give them first place so they were automatically certified State Champions.

Judge 4 needs to submit for drug testing.

looks like judge 3 single handedly kept roma out of finals- a shame, as all 4 other judges had them in finals

Looking at the prelims scores I have to ask two questions: what did they hear and what the were they thinking? It is literally all over the place. If I were to make a graph of the data it would be in no pattern whatsoever when it clearly should be.

Cedar Park and Dripping Springs really killed it in Finals. The rest of the field wasn't even close in finals. Personally, I'm a little disappointed Wakeland lost out on a medal due to the judges choice. Again these things happen so it is what it is. Great performance by all. I do wonder if Prosper was hurt by going so early, and right after Cedar Park. They had two judges ranked them last.

Not sure how they know but the El Paso news reporting BREAKING: #Hanks HS finishes 15th in UIL State Marching competition, #BelAir 19th, #Horizon 31st, #DelValle 34th. None will advance to next round, but we're #ElPasoProud of you anyway!

The terminator I guess they were right? Lol!!! They nailed every placement correct in advanced before it was even announced. Wording ofcourse was different if you’re referring to Borderland Marching, good job to those West Texas bands especially hanks!!