2017 State Marching Contest (1A,2A,3A,5A)

OK now that you've said it, can we have a conversation about how bad the FloMarching camera angles are? Do they hire these people right off the back alleys of these superdomes or what??!! I find myself wanting to fling my laptop out the window or throw things at the TV when I'm watching FLO. The cameras either stay much too long on one tiny aspect of a show, fail to capture the big hit moments completely, or they walk around with the camera pointed to the ground for 5 to 10 seconds while still filming. It's so frustrating!!

OK, rant over. Carry on.

Remember, this is halftime music to these people and of little or no value past the revenue that it generates. It's the only alternative and they know that.

I was actually talking to the flo people about their service and what I would like to see improved. Lots of people complained about the audio quality last year and that has drastically improved. This year hopefully they improve on their Multicam shots. I can say it is nice that they are trying to frame smaller groups of performers, because when kids see themselves or parents see their kids the product has a more intrinsic value. Now they just aren’t reading the groups and making the right switching calls just yet. It’s easier in DCI where they are able to learn the shows and in WGI where the groups are way smaller and it’s easier to get it right. Over the years we will see some improvement, hopefully.

You're right about the huge improvement in audio quality. And I truly do get that the camera guys can't possibly know what to follow and when on each band, but so much of it is intuitive if you know marching band at all. Hopefully they will continue to improve because these kids deserve a quality product to match the high quality of their performances!

Here’s my one piece of advice to FloMarching:

HIGH CAM DOES NOT INCLUDE FIELD LEVEL SHOTS

That is all.

Haven't a clue as to what livestream broadcasting software is used or the producer experience is. Most software (even open source) has in picture capability with the ability to switch multiple cams. Most YT gamers use it daily.

High cam - main feed

Multi cams in picture - soloists, close ups, sections, Drum Majors, etc.

Easy, peasy.

I just want to mention that Austin High (Austin, TX) has had vast improvements in the past year or so. I remember back in 2014 Area D 6A where they got close to last, and I don't think anyone expected them to make area finals, let alone state. I would keep an eye on them for a dark horse for state finals. Their UIL video is wonderful. 

McCallum is also a contender that has had vast improvements in the past years as well.

Anyone think Rouse has a shot at finals?

I do, but them drawing an early time slot puts them in a tough spot to make finals. I remember how sluggish I sometimes was in morning rehearsals. I think McCallum, which got 5th at Area D finals to Rouse getting 4th, is in a better spot just based on the time they drew. Rouse needs a near perfect performance to make finals. If they had drawn a later time slot, absolutely. I would even put money on it. I'm no expert, but bands which draw early time slots are generally put in a tough position. I remember back in 2015 at Area D finals that LBJ HS drew an early time slot (at 2nd I believe) and they had a show that was definitely good enough to make finals and they missed it by one. McCallum had the same problem in 2011. Drew an early time, missed it by one. It doesn't make a huge difference, but it could result in one band missing finals that should make it.

I'm not saying this is the case all the time, but bands which tend to draw a really early time slot (Like in the top 3) are generally in trouble. Unless it's a Cedar Park or a Dripping Springs type of band, it's generally kind of hard to overcome going so early. I heard they had some great visual presentation. It's one of the finalist bands at Area that I did not see. I got to see McCallum, Cedar Park, Georgetown, and Dripping Springs but not the others. I might have seen 1 or two others but none of the other advancing bands.

Over/Under for y'all,

Do y'all think that Area D will have the most representatives (even without Leander/ Vandegrift/ Vista Ridge) in finals yet again? I'm going to take the over here, with 4 representatives.

Cedar Park (Gold Medal)

Dripping Springs (Silver Medal)

Georgetown (8th)

McCallum (10th) (I put them over Rouse mainly because Rouse drew such an unfavorable time slot. However, I do expect Rouse to be 1st or 2nd alternate, even with the time slot)

I think we might get 3 from D (CP, DS, Gtown) and 3 from B (Wakeland, Prosper, and Southwest). I just loved Southwest when I saw them at Southlake (I actually thought they were big time underscored there) and can't wait to see what the show looks like now.

I just want to mention that Austin High (Austin, TX) has had vast improvements in the past year or so. I remember back in 2014 Area D 6A where they got close to last, and I don't think anyone expected them to make area finals, let alone state. I would keep an eye on them for a dark horse for state finals. Their UIL video is wonderful. 

McCallum is also a contender that has had vast improvements in the past years as well.

I'm a McCallum class of 2016 grad, and I can't tell you how much missing state by 1 in Area D stung for everyone in 2015. Of course when Dripping Springs is getting 5th right ahead of you, it's kind of hard for a diamond show from a smaller band to make state. Our show that year was fantastic, probably better than this years. In any other area, we would have made state most certainly, and maybe even state finals. The competition in Area D was stiffer in 2015 though (to make state, that is). There was less bands and more top-tier state bands. I heard good things about Austin High. I'll keep an eye on them when I watch the state contest live. MAC, Austin, and Rouse are all dark horses though for state finals (I think one of the three will make it), while I think Drip, CP, and Georgetown are locks. I think McCallum is in the best position to make finals of all those bands. That being said, I think Area D might put 4 in finals but they might miss out on all the three dark horses I listed. But I am biased towards Area D.

One non-biased opinion is that I do firmly believe the top two will be Dripping Springs and Cedar Park.

Final predictions/thoughts before Wednesday's contest.

This year's contest will be insane as always. These are my predictions based on live performance, recent activity, Youtube, and what I have seen on this site. I will break the groups into tiers and discuss how I made these conclusions. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it really anything can happen on Wednesday and it all depends on how the judges feel that day. Please don't take these too seriously because I'm as clueless as everyone else.

T1- Cedar Park        They have been on fire in rehearsal the last few days and seem to have had a strong BOA San Antonio prelims performance. It is really theirs to lose and it would be hard to see anyone pass a previous 5th place GN finalist.

T2- Dripping Springs    I would place Dripping here based on their finish at area D plus their rendition of October which in my opinion envokes so much emotion. Not to mention a very well executed visual book.  

Waxahachie          Even though this show can become a bit sleep-inducing at times (for me) I think the ensemble sounds are very good and the marching as well. In addition, I really like the simple design of their props and the soloists.

Wakeland              This band seems to have it all! A great, powerful ensemble sound, great colorguard(Rifles!), good marching/visuals. I love how they marry some interesting musical selections to create an exciting show.

Richland                I feel that this band's music is a bit cliche( Vista 14, G-Town 15 and others). However, they are very powerful! The soloist were good and I feel like the Battery is very strong, though maybe the visual could be a bit better.                                         Oh and the lead trumpet... props to you my friend.

T3- Prosper                  Nice show with moments to hear the woodwinds, brass, and the ensemble. I was a big fan of the guard and the props which create a good backdrop. I just feel like a more challenging visual program is needed to make                                           this show really shine.

Aledo                     I am a fan of the prop, but feel like I have heard of this show concept before. Nevertheless, Nice sounds throughout coupled with nice marching. I really need to watch this band some more though to get a good                                                      determination. 

Southwest             I really like the large props as well as the intriguing visual design. I also like the well-timed woodwind solos. My only complaint is that the band sounds a little restricted, like a lid over a pot of boiling water. This causes                                              little dynamic contrast and leaves me wanting more.

Lonestar                Just like Southwest I think the band is a bit too controlled but has a good show nevertheless.

Roma                    Their show seems to have a lot of hype around them and I'm not sure if the hype is real. I have never seen this group before this year or live so I am not the best authority on them. However, I really like the show theme                                           and they seem to be solid overall.

Birdville                 They have a very interesting prop and a solid show overall, but I do have some issues. One, the guard wasn't that well integrated. Two, there were some talented players going for it, but the majority was not creating lots                                         of stick-outs. On a final note, the soloists were pretty good though.

T4- Georgetown          Being in this program I am biased but... I am a fan of the strong ensemble sound and contrast created by the opener, ballad, and closer. The guard is very good and the trumpet duet is solid. However, the marching at                                            times is not the greatest and the bold color palette is striking at first.

Forney                  I'm just not sure about this band. The show design is interesting, but not my favorite. I thought the band sound was ok with only a few stick-outs and the visual performance was well done.

Rouse                   Nice prop and starting visuals with super tasty mellophones. The ensemble sounds very good, but at times lacks the power to make moments flourish in my opinion. Overall, I really don't know where to put this program.

Sharyland              I don't know enough about these bands to give comments but I have heard they are respectable programs and are most likely on the bubble.

Bel Air

The Colony

Poteet

Austin

Sharyland Pioneer

Hanks

McCallum

Tomball Memorial

Highland Park

Favorites List:

1. Cedar Park
  2. Wakeland
  3. Dripping Springs
  4. Georgetown
  5. Richland
  6. Southwest
  7. Rouse
  8. Waxahachie
  9. Prosper
  10. Aledo

Prediction for Finals:

1. Cedar Park
  2. Dripping Springs
  3. Waxahachie
  4. Richland
  5. Wakeland 
  6. Prosper
  7. Southwest
  8. Aledo
  9. Lonestar
  10. Georgetown/Rouse/Birdville???

If you have any better information, differing opinions, etc please respond! I would love to hear your feedback!

Final predictions/thoughts before Wednesday's contest.

This year's contest will be insane as always. These are my predictions based on live performance, recent activity, Youtube, and what I have seen on this site. I will break the groups into tiers and discuss how I made these conclusions. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it really anything can happen on Wednesday and it all depends on how the judges feel that day. Please don't take these too seriously because I'm as clueless as everyone else.

T1- Cedar Park They have been on fire in rehearsal the last few days and seem to have had a strong BOA San Antonio prelims performance. It is really theirs to lose and it would be hard to see anyone pass a previous 5th place GN finalist.

T2- Dripping Springs I would place Dripping here based on their finish at area D plus their rendition of October which in my opinion envokes so much emotion. Not to mention a very well executed visual book.

Waxahachie Even though this show can become a bit sleep-inducing at times (for me) I think the ensemble sounds are very good and the marching as well. In addition, I really like the simple design of their props and the soloists.

Wakeland This band seems to have it all! A great, powerful ensemble sound, great colorguard(Rifles!), good marching/visuals. I love how they marry some interesting musical selections to create an exciting show.

Richland I feel that this band's music is a bit cliche( Vista 14, G-Town 15 and others). However, they are very powerful! The soloist were good and I feel like the Battery is very strong, though maybe the visual could be a bit better. Oh and the lead trumpet... props to you my friend.

T3- Prosper Nice show with moments to hear the woodwinds, brass, and the ensemble. I was a big fan of the guard and the props which create a good backdrop. I just feel like a more challenging visual program is needed to make this show really shine.

Aledo I am a fan of the prop, but feel like I have heard of this show concept before. Nevertheless, Nice sounds throughout coupled with nice marching. I really need to watch this band some more though to get a good determination.

Southwest I really like the large props as well as the intriguing visual design. I also like the well-timed woodwind solos. My only complaint is that the band sounds a little restricted, like a lid over a pot of boiling water. This causes little dynamic contrast and leaves me wanting more.

Lonestar Just like Southwest I think the band is a bit too controlled but has a good show nevertheless.

Roma Their show seems to have a lot of hype around them and I'm not sure if the hype is real. I have never seen this group before this year or live so I am not the best authority on them. However, I really like the show theme and they seem to be solid overall.

Birdville They have a very interesting prop and a solid show overall, but I do have some issues. One, the guard wasn't that well integrated. Two, there were some talented players going for it, but the majority was not creating lots of stick-outs. On a final note, the soloists were pretty good though.

T4- Georgetown Being in this program I am biased but... I am a fan of the strong ensemble sound and contrast created by the opener, ballad, and closer. The guard is very good and the trumpet duet is solid. However, the marching at times is not the greatest and the bold color palette is striking at first.

Forney I'm just not sure about this band. The show design is interesting, but not my favorite. I thought the band sound was ok with only a few stick-outs and the visual performance was well done.

Rouse Nice prop and starting visuals with super tasty mellophones. The ensemble sounds very good, but at times lacks the power to make moments flourish in my opinion. Overall, I really don't know where to put this program.

Sharyland I don't know enough about these bands to give comments but I have heard they are respectable programs and are most likely on the bubble.

Bel Air

The Colony

Poteet

Austin

Sharyland Pioneer

Hanks

McCallum

Tomball Memorial

Highland Park

Favorites List:

• Cedar Park
  • Wakeland
  • Dripping Springs
  • Georgetown
  • Richland
  • Southwest
  • Rouse
  • Waxahachie
  • Prosper
  • Aledo
Prediction for Finals:

• Cedar Park
  • Dripping Springs
  • Waxahachie
  • Richland
  • Wakeland
  • Prosper
  • Southwest
  • Aledo
  • Lonestar
  • Georgetown/Rouse/Birdville???
If you have any better information, differing opinions, etc please respond! I would love to hear your feedback!
I mostly agree - I think the bands in your top 6 is spot on, but would perhaps just move Wakeland to 3rd. I just think everything is clicking on all cylinders for them and that backfield Elsa's Procession is absolutely breathtaking! This is a classic piece of high school band literature and I think it creates an amazing moment of familiarity and comfort in their show.

Cedar Park did have an incredible run in prelims yesterday. The show has been refined a ton in just one week's time. The interval spacing and individual visual attention to detail were spot on. The trombone feature in from The Montagues/Capulets is now also sounding so incredibly refined! I am just buying everything they are selling. As one of the bloggers mentioned yesterday, it's a show that proves that great depth can come from a lighter show.

I wish that Rouse was not so early, this show, as well is vastly improved and just creates really lovely moments. Great soloists, good guard, lovely use of props and color palette, just wish the ensemble sound was a bit heavier at times, but overall is a dark horse for finals.

Lastly, I am just thrilled for Georgetown. I was in the GHS band way back in the late 90s. It is great to see the band doing so well this year! Blue Shades is an awesome piece of music and I love hearing it on the field. It is an exciting show that holds your attention throughout and oh my the guard is just fabulous! All the best for a great show (hopefully shows!) on Wednesday!

I’ll offer up some insight on dark horses from the south:

Roma - Roma HS has consistently been an honor band finalist as well as churning out All Staters with machine like precision. Also, Roma MS is one of their feeders and have also consistently been Honor Band Finalists and have come very close on a few occasions to win it all. Roma MS also was selected to perform at Midwest not too long ago. This group has a really rich and powerful sound to them which will definitely be a treat for anyone that sees them.

Pioneer - This school is only in its 4th year of existence and has quickly asserted itself as one of the powerhouses of Area D as is climbing the ladder in BOA as well. They are definitely not just a one trick pony as they really are finding themselves as a jack of all trades with them excelling in all facets of competition from concert, jazz, All State, winterguard, indoor percussion. They have some great design going on with their show this year and are executing at a really high level which has been a driving force in their success.

I’m really excited to see how these two programs will fair on Wednesday. It’s been a treat to watch these two slug it out all season. These two have a really strong chance of making the night show.

Lopez - 2017 Honor Band, gorgeous playing throughout their show from soloist and small ensembles. Some great playing from this group.

Sharyland - This program has a long history of great bands and this year is another great example of that. Show features some nice woodwind features and some really well executed visual moments.

Rio Grande City - RGC has been on a recent ascension and this program followed up its first SMC two years ago with qualifying back to back. A really nice show repertoire this year.

I can't agree more. After watching their performance from the first week of football games I was disgusted with the amount of stickouts, sloppy visuals, bent legs, etc from a program the caliber of theirs. With it now almost being November some of this has improved but "The Cedar Park Swag" just isn't there. The sparkle and shimmer to everything that they have had in the years past which gives such a WOW factor doesn't exist this year. The awe and wonder I experienced when I saw CP in 14, 15, 16 and still experience when I watch those shows over just is not there. When I stood beside them while warming up for halftime I noticed they had a ton of younger members and few upperclassmen. The techs were on to them all of the time and Mr. Vandoren did not seem satisfied. In addition, their band was smaller than I remember it being. I feel fairly certain they would not even make GN finals this year with the product they have now. I don't want to say CP is on a downhill slide, but it is definitely an off year.

While the first week for CP was hardly state ready, CP has a history of drastically improving the final few weeks before their major competitions. The amount they have improved is astounding considering their slow start. I don't think it is fair to compare videos of state finals runs to CP's first week of performances.

It’s also worth noting when discussing Cedar Park that their BOA SA performance was incredibly good. Not only were they the only 5A band in Finals also they also placed 8th above incredible programs like Bowie, Hendrikson and The Woodlands. 6 Judges gave them box 5 scores in finals as well and in Prelims they had judges put them above Flower Mound, Hebron, Vandy, and Marcus. Cedar Park appears to be doing what it did last year where the last week(s) of the season the show becomes a whole new and outstanding product. Now this is not to say Cedar spark is better than these bands, but is to say that Cedar Park appears to be competing with the top 6A bands, and it is looking like they are gearing up for a big day Wednesday.

It’s also worth noting when discussing Cedar Park that their BOA SA performance was incredibly good. Not only were they the only 5A band in Finals also they also placed 8th above incredible programs like Bowie, Hendrikson and The Woodlands. 6 Judges gave them box 5 scores in finals as well and in Prelims they had judges put them above Flower Mound, Hebron, Vandy, and Marcus. Cedar Park appears to be doing what it did last year where the last week(s) of the season the show becomes a whole new and outstanding product. Now this is not to say Cedar spark is better than these bands, but is to say that Cedar Park appears to be competing with the top 6A bands, and it is looking like they are gearing up for a big day Wednesday.

I don't think there's any questions that Cedar Park is the favorite....this is a very strong competition, though, and I suspect all of the bands with a shot of overtaking them are peaking, too. 

Still, CP is incredible and their showing at BOA SA says a lot. 

Looking forward to it!!

While the first week for CP was hardly state ready, CP has a history of drastically improving the final few weeks before their major competitions. The amount they have improved is astounding considering their slow start. I don't think it is fair to compare videos of state finals runs to CP's first week of performances.

I have to agree with everything said. Their BOA San Antonio performances were on fire and I feel about 100% sure they will take the title on Wednesday.