The Danpodcast - September 11th, 2001

Danpod

Another great one, Daniel. Your poor mother!!! I'm glad my kiddos were younger at the time. I had a 13, 10 and 2 year old then, and I guess I never thought about what they might remember about that day, the older ones at least. I remember watching a crappy old tv all day at work and leaving early to get my children. Since Austin is the capitol of Texas, we worried about an attack here as well. I'm sure most larger cities did worry about such things, and it was a relief when all planes were grounded and we knew at least that there would be no more planes flying into buildings that day. My oldest daughter lives in the DC area now, and I admit that I worry about that as well at times. But are we truly safe anywhere? The world can be a scary place.

I've had the privilege of visiting NYC many times since 9/11, and the very first thing I did on my first visit was to see the 9/11 memorial and go through the museum. Seeing where the towers once stood and reading all of the names of those lost is something I wish every American could do at least once. And the museum itself is a must see experience, if one gets the opportunity to do so. I highly, highly recommend doing both when in NYC. So much was lost that day, yet it was an event that bonded this country together like nothing else.

Never forget...

This was your best one yet.  Usually I've just been letting these run in the background as I do whatever, but this one had me enthralled from start to finish.

I was in 10th grade.  Our school didn't start until close to 9am as well, and I was eating breakfast in the cafeteria when a fellow band kid came up to me and told me what happened.  My first period was Instrumental Ensemble (basically a free period where you just had to stay in the band hall and practice...My senior year I tried to take 2 of these classes but they wouldn't let me :P ).  When I got there, there was already, like, half the class crammed in the band hall office sitting on the floor watching the old cart-mounted CRT that was in there tuned to a video feed of both towers on fire. That was where I saw the first tower fall. Pretty tense stuff.....The newscaster mentions that they received word that one of the planes was confirmed as coming out of "Dulles Airport"....One of the flute girls mishears this as "Dallas Airport" and starts visibly freaking out and the band director's wife (who was also employed as the band hall receptionist) is like "Ok guys, I think that's enough news for now, go ahead and get your instruments out and go practice"...much to our displeased grumbling.

I really don't remember much else from that day...Either they ordered the teachers to turn off the TVs and keep classes moving, or my other 3 teachers that day simply chose to do that regardless.

This made me think about what I was doing during the time and it's slightly different than what y'all said.

I was about 3 at the time and it's my earliest memory. I was getting dropped off at my babysitters house while my parents got ready to work. We got there about the time to see the second plane and I remember being terrified (as any young child would). I can remember since I lived in a massive Air Force town that a ton of the jets scrambled at the time. It's just one of those memories that you have if you were there I think.

Hey Daniel what is the schedule you follow for these podcasts?

There is no schedule, haha!  I usually record these things when I have a day off so that's why you get two a week.  I don't really like to record too many in advance simply because I want it to be up to date.

I do very little editing with these things.  From the time I hit record to the time everything is up on the RSS feed and YouTube, it usually takes less than an hour.  Besides, I really want it to sound as if we are having a conversation in the stands which I LOVE doing :)

Well I really love these podcasts and I hope you never get tired of doing them! By the way, why did you stop the first time?

Thanks!  Burnout was definitely a contributing factor to putting the stuff on hiatus.  I also didn't want it to turn in to a glorified predictions game.  You'd be surprised how often people in the stands would say something to me because I didn't "pick" their program to make Finals or because I didn't talk about a specific program enough on the recording.