Where do former band parents go to die?

LeanderMomma

I'm right there with you!!!

I have a few years left but when my kids are done, I'll continue to volunteer for the band...our school always needs parents.  We have volunteers who haven't had kids in school for 5, 10, 15 years!  They just love to volunteer and help the band.

I love music and I love watching our kids excel.  Why wouldn't someone want to be around these kids?

• 3 weeks later...

We still follow the band. My daughter graduated in '15 so this is the last year of knowing several of the other kids that were freshmen in 15. We have a few family friends with kids in the band. We still help with fundraisers and are loosely connected with the band.

Are you planning to go to Grand Nats and watch FloMo win it all this fall? I hope they do it!!!!

No, will not be able to go to Nats this year.  I will probably host or go to a watch party.  If I had kids in the band you could not keep me away.

I hear ya, but I would love to go again.  I just loved that experience so much last fall, and I think I'd like to go again when Leander goes back in a few years.  Heck, I'd love to go watch DCI finals in Indianapolis sometime as well!  Indy is such a fun town, and there's nothing like watching band in the Lucas Oil stadium.  

Geez, I'm such a nerd.   :lol:

I know a whole lot of graduated parents from lots of different bands that still go to all the competitions (at least the local ones) and many of the football game half-times.

Hopefully I'll see you again at BOA Austin next month Daniel.  (I'm one of the two annoying moms that sat in front of you the last two years at BOA Austin--thanks for putting up with us; you're a very patient man!   :D).  I'm also planning to go to Conroe this year as well.  I've never been to BOA Conroe, and this year it's looking to be a FIERCE competition there!  

Nope, I'm never graduating.   ;)

I know a whole lot of graduated parents from lots of different bands that still go to all the competitions (at least the local ones) and many of the football game half-times.

I am still there on Friday Nights (my son plays football) and I cheer on the other LISD programs.  Argyle is growing too.  I won't be going to San Antonio but I will probably go to the Dallas regional.

I am still there on Friday Nights (my son plays football) and I cheer on the other LISD programs. Argyle is growing too. I won't be going to San Antonio but I will probably go to the Dallas regional.

I'll be at the L D Bell vs FloMo football game in October. My best friend's youngest son is a 6'8", 325 lb giant who plays football at Bell. Can't wait to see that game AND the bands!!

I'll be at the L D Bell vs FloMo football game in October. My best friend's youngest son is a 6'8", 325 lb giant who plays football at Bell. Can't wait to see that game AND the bands!!

I'll be there as my son is on the Football team.  Come around to the home side at halftime to watch the show.  I'll be all the way at the top at mid-field.

I'll be there as my son is on the Football team. Come around to the home side at halftime to watch the show. I'll be all the way at the top at mid-field.

I'm thinking it's homecoming night for Bell so it'll be an away game for Flower Mound. I would definitely sit on the home side for band, regardless. I hate when I have to watch from the back!!

• 4 weeks later...

Well not really die, but more or less, what do we do when our band kid graduates and we have all of this stored up band parent energy and enthusiasm with nowhere to express it??!! Obviously I can still go to games and competitions, and I WILL, but it's never going to be the same. We'll just be those weird former band parents that never move on. But I'm ok with that, I reckon. Because band. And because Texas. ;-) Who's with me??!!

#nevergraduatingfrombandparenthood

I am with you - When my oldest joined band we were "all in" - oldest graduated in 2015 and we remain very active and have traveled to all their BOA competitions, we fund raise for them and we now have our youngest in Middle school band so we have a few more years awaiting us. the school is a block from the house so we routinely drop by to see practices and will be heading out for Austin shortly to cheer for our band. We have a number of Alumni parents and kids that travel with us - it is not the same when your child is not competing but always a joy to see our "adoptive" kids and see the growth of the program. Planning a on BOA trips this year

• 3 weeks later...

I measure my boys high school years not by years but by marching seasons left. We band all the time so when the youngest graduates it going to be a sad time. Though so far they both plan to march in college so it won't be the same but still some shows to look forward to. 

I'm so thankful for their band years though. There's nothing like marching band and your marching band family. 

I measure my boys high years not by years but by marching seasons left. We band all the time so when the youngest graduates it going to be a sad time. Though so far they both plan to march in college so it won't be the same but still some shows to look forward to.

I'm so thankful for their band years though. There's nothing like marching band and your marching band family.

Enjoy!!! It goes by SO quickly.

Just a little follow up to my original post and two months later....I am enjoying myself immensely as a "graduated" band parent. The competitions are extremely enjoyable still, and I have the added bonus of having my former band kid now sitting in the stands with me and experiencing it all right along side me. It's been GREAT so far!!

we do the same - we now have family trips to watch the bands - last weekend in Conroe - this weekend in Midland

• 4 weeks later...

I don't find the performance nerve wracking - I find the awards announcements nerve wracking. You never know what that particular set of judges think of your show that particular day. I find the shows fun to watch, and I try to sit back and just enjoy what is presented while doing a little critical viewing of each.

I don't find the performance nerve wracking - I find the awards announcements nerve wracking. You never know what that particular set of judges think of your show that particular day. I find the shows fun to watch, and I try to sit back and just enjoy what is presented while doing a little critical viewing of each.

Agreed. The performance itself (barring anything goes drastically wrong) is exciting, but not nerve wracking. I try to get there early and catch as many shows as I can. I know all those kids have worked their tail off to produce the best product they can for their directors, the judges, family and the fans. Deep down inside them they are entertainers. The hear and see the reaction of the crowd and fellow competators. They know when they have success. I'm there for my kid, our band family and I'm a fan of all, so the perfomnces are enjoyable.

Awards...that's nerve wracking.