2017 Area B Predictions

Lone Star won their last contest, but I can’t remember which one it was last weekend. Usually Centennial has an edge over Wakeland at UIL but not BOA events. They have been quiet this year. Prosper showed me! I kept underestimating them because there was only talk and nothing that I had seen. I stand corrected.

Wakeland’s show needs some polishing toward the end, but they peak mid to late October usually.

I might replace Liberty with Lake Ridge. Their run at Wylie finals was pretty fantastic. I like Liberty's show as well, but Lake Ridge is about as clean as you can get.

Shoot I completely forgot they were in this area.

After getting to see them in close sucession to each other at the region contest, I can easily say this is going to be a battle between Centennial, Wakeland, and Prosper for those top 3 spots.

Prosper had a great show, and really had some fantastic parts! It’s so obvious this is a group gearing up for an amazing showing at grand nats. I never really saw prosper up until this point and wow, they really arose as a powerhouse in an instant and it’s great.

Wakeland’s show was pretty good, and they seem to have landed back on their feet after a rough season last year. They’re as clean as always and are an obvious choice for a top spot.

Centennial, to me, is a huge wildcard. It’s pretty clear with how they managed to add on 2 new movements to their show in a week between PEMI and region, and at a good level (though needing some cleaning). They’ve had a massive shift in style since last go-around at area, going from crazy loud and powerful to a more soft, musical side.

If Centennial can overcome that early prelims time and clean up their show, I can see them jumping everyone. Otherwise, it’s a Prosper-Wakeland bout with Centennial lagging behind.

Now throw in bands like Summit, Lake Ridge, southwest, and Liberty into the mix, and you have what I feel to be the most competitive area in the state and probably the most entertaining contest to watch!

Sudarsanam, spot on!

I keep wondering if Centennial has had a change of staff. I know other groups have commented in the past on how they are far more UIL focused and not so much about the BOA theatrical type shows. They were also nicknamed “Standtennial” by local rivals for their tendency to have a lighter sound when transitioning and moving but play their signature powerhouse sounds on difficult pieces with no movement at all.

I last saw them 2 weeks ago and felt their show might not make area finals this year. Now they’ve thrown in 2 extra movements and I’m wondering also if they can get it clean. I don’t believe they are going to super-regionals, so I don’t know how that affects their planning as the other top contenders are. Maybe it doesn’t.

I’m also wowed by Prosper. Who saw that coming? Well, some predicted, but I was a doubter. No more!

I love Wakeland’s show. I want their wedding planner. I’m saying yes to the dress, but in a different color. I think they are peaking at the right time for UIL.

Sudarsanam, spot on!

I keep wondering if Centennial has had a change of staff. I know other groups have commented in the past on how they are far more UIL focused and not so much about the BOA theatrical type shows. They were also nicknamed “Standtennial” by local rivals for their tendency to have a lighter sound when transitioning and moving but play their signature powerhouse sounds on difficult pieces with no movement at all.

I last saw them 2 weeks ago and felt their show might not make area finals this year. Now they’ve thrown in 2 extra movements and I’m wondering also if they can get it clean. I don’t believe they are going to super-regionals, so I don’t know how that affects their planning as the other top contenders are. Maybe it doesn’t.

I’m also wowed by Prosper. Who saw that coming? Well, some predicted, but I was a doubter. No more!

I love Wakeland’s show. I want their wedding planner. I’m saying yes to the dress, but in a different color. I think they are peaking at the right time for UIL.

Centennial's former assistant director is the new head director at Frisco Lebanon Trail.  They do seem to have a softer style.  They were heavy with seniors last year and have endured major rezoning twice in the last 3 years - 2014 with the opening of Independence and again in 2016 with the opening of Lebanon Trail.  I could be wrong but my impression is they perhaps are a younger group this season.

Centennial's former assistant director is the new head director at Frisco Lebanon Trail.  They do seem to have a softer style.  They were heavy with seniors last year and have endured major rezoning twice in the last 3 years - 2014 with the opening of Independence and again in 2016 with the opening of Lebanon Trail.  I could be wrong but my impression is they perhaps are a younger group this season.

I know nothing about enrollment in the area but with the explosive growth in Frisco, will all of their schools be 6A with the next UIL realignment? 

I know nothing about enrollment in the area but with the explosive growth in Frisco, will all of their schools be 6A with the next UIL realignment? 

I believe the current plan is to keep the schools as 5A.  Next fall a new high school - Memorial - will open to relieve Heritage, Wakeland, & Lone Star.  Each would likely be 6A otherwise.  Memorial was supposed to open this fall but was delayed due to budget issues. 

Former Centennial band member here. Here are some insights about the program/area:

1) Since the Area competition two years ago, where they received first, Centennial has lost both of its assistant directors. The assistant director which left last year was the director who was primarily in charge of teaching the marching band show for the past 6+ years.

2) Centennial has not participated in BOA contests since 2010 (I believe), due to a history of lower placements at these competitions.

3) I am pretty certain that the district that Centennial, Wakeland, etc. are in will remain 5A for a while, due to a strong desire of local residents for smaller schools, There are currently 8 5A schools in this district, and 2 4A schools which will eventually become 5A schools.

And here are the reasons I have seen/heard for the drastic change in style:

1) While I have no direct insight on the current reasoning for the change in style or the mindset of the staff, I do know that Centennial received a large amount of negative feedback from both State prelims and finals judges two years ago for being too loud. (During prelims, for example, they received a music scores of something like 27, 12, and 2.) I believe that this is the main reason for a softer sound from this program.

2) Also, I can't speak for everyone in the band, but I do sense that there is also a belief among some parents, students, and staff that the reason they placed low two years ago at State finals was also due to their lack of a BOA-style show. Since then, both years after placing 9th in finals, Centennial has hired a choreographer to add body visuals and has added a significantly larger amount of props to their show than in past years.

With the way the Frisco area is expanding, the city might as well name a school after me.

Today's Lunch at The Daniel Valdez Academy for the Cray:

Chicken Fried Steak with Cream Gravy.
Mashed Potatoes with Cream Gravy.
Green Beans with Cream Gravy.
Chocolate Brownies (Cream Gravy On The Side).

I believe that pushing through the temperature barrier

is going to be a huge factor at this competition, especially for those groups with early performances like Centennial and Summit. With the temperature estimated to be at a high of 59 degrees, I think that whichever band can push through that adversity will come out on top.

I had to chuckle at the 59 degrees being an issue, but that is just the Wisconsin girl in me :)   Try playing the clarinet in the Christmas
parade with it's below freezing...  hard to do when you can't feel your fingers, LOL.    But I really do understand what you are saying.
They have to keep those instruments warm, especially if they have soloist that have different instruments up front that they have to
step up and play.

I was at that stadium last weekend for the Region 24 contest (Little Elm correct, I think that is where the area is al well),   and the wind coming from the
right of the stadium (if you are looking at the field from the stands) was definitely an issue for a number of schools, with both

props and color guard. 

Sign me up for the lunch menu alone! (Glad the gravy is in the side of the brownie, though!) Can someone please arrange for this to be available at concessions at both UIL and BOA? I’m drooling.

“With the way the Frisco area is expanding, the city might as well name a school after me.

Chocolate Brownies (Cream Gravy On The Side).”

I can only reasonably predict the top three bands, those being

Prosper- there's so much hype behind them

this season. They seem to be

doing great and I wouldn't be

surprised to see them take

first.

Wakeland-I definitely feel like they're

strong this season, with a

settled in staff, and them

having performed very well at

their last two contests.

Centennial- These guys definitely have

done well in the past few

years, but I found this show

to be bit underwhelming.

Fourth- I feel like going for this spot

are Lake Ridge, Summit,Southwest,

Liberty and Lone Star. None of

these really have a huge edge

over the other, so I believe that

it will really come down to

perserverance, and judge

preference.

Making State this year in Area B is definitely going to be an absolute blood bath, with some people calling it the most competitive area. Good luck to every band competing this weekend!

With the way the Frisco area is expanding, the city might as well name a school after me.

Only thing missing is gravy with a side of gravy!!

1. Wakeland/Lake Ridge

2. Lake Ridge/Wakeland

3. Prosper

4. Centennial

(There's 24 bands, so they're only taking 4 bands)

5. Summit

I haven't seen Lake Ridge but I agree with your predictions based on what I have heard.

I liked Prospers show but Wakelands last movement with Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral sold it to me.

A few Frisco band parents who sat by me were commenting that they didn't understand why Plano bands were even there as they had enough for their own Region. Well I would have preferred not to drive all the way to Little Elm myself, LOL.