2017 BOA San Antonio Super Regionals Predictions

Wow. Just watched Avon's Indy performance. If they clean it up, I don't know if anyone is touching them. Granted, it needs a LOT of cleaning- that is a Grand Nats show if I ever say one- but wow, what a powerful show. There's so many moments in there where I was just stunned. And the closer is just insane.

I have absolutely no idea who is going to come out on top here, and I’m loving it! After watching the YouTube video of Avon from Indy, I’m wondering if they’ll reach the level of cleanliness they’ll need to be at to win SA. The top performing Texas groups from a few weeks ago (namely Flower Mound and Hebron, but also Vandegrift and CTJ) sounded better than Avon currently sounds. Avon will want to remedy that by next Saturday.

Then, of course, there’s the fact that early season regionals haven’t been terribly predictive of late season success in Texas recently. There has been a surprising result in at least one round of the SA contest every year since 2013. I’m not convinced that’s going to stop this year. It keeps things interesting anyway, even if I don’t always agree with the decisions.

I will say this: now that I’ve seen all of the top groups, I’m still waiting to be wowed. There are parts of shows that I find very impressive, like Carmel’s marvelous drill (Michael Gaines is still the only person who writes drill as well as Michael Gaines) or Broken Arrow’s wonderful, sweetly sentimental ballad, but I’ve yet to see a group that has the whole package. The shows really need to start coming together within the next week or so. Best of luck to all!

With the contest only a week and a half away, who do you think will be in the top thirty?

Here is my guess for top 25... (in no particular order other than groupings of top, middle, bottom)

1.Avon

2.Hebron

3.Flower Mound

4.CTJ

5.Marcus

6.Ronald Reagan

7.Vandergrift

8.Leander

9.Woodlands

10.LD Bell

11.Round Rock

12.Keller

13.Bowie

14.Hendrickson

15.Coppell

16.Wakeland

17.Winston Churchill

18.Vista Ridge

19.Cedar Park

20.Cedar Ridge

21.Cy Fair

22.Timber Creek

23.Keller Central

24.Clear Brook

25.Pearland

With your eyes.

Alternatively, someone could read you the schedule.

Ha ha, that reminds me of that hilarious contact ad from several years ago.  I think it was for 1-800-CONTACTS.  Anyway, the wife was telling her husband they could save money by using that service, and he said his eyes were "special."  Then the wife makes some snarky comment for him to look at the ad with his "special eyes."  Dang it, it loses something in the telling!  But it used to crack me up, and my youngest daughter and I still use it in conversation whenever we can. "Look at this with your special eyes."   :D

Oh I found the ad!!!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrqdduneB-o         It wasn't as snarky as I remembered, but it's still hilarious.  

Here is my guess for top 25... (in no particular order other than groupings of top, middle, bottom)

1.Avon

2.Hebron

3.Flower Mound

4.CTJ

5.Marcus

6.Ronald Reagan

7.Vandergrift

8.Leander

9.Woodlands

10.LD Bell

11.Round Rock

12.Keller

13.Bowie

14.Hendrickson

15.Coppell

16.Wakeland

17.Winston Churchill

18.Vista Ridge

19.Cedar Park

20.Cedar Ridge

21.Cy Fair

22.Timber Creek

23.Keller Central

24.Clear Brook

25.Pearland

Personally, I’d drop Coppell into the lower grouping and move Vista Ridge and Cedar Ridge up a bit. Also, a note: it will be VERY interesting to see if some of the GN bubble bands (aka Churchill) miss finals in SA and make finals in GN, or make both, or miss GN and make SA finals... and of course how the overall placement of Flomo, Avon, Marcus, Woodlands changes from SA to GN.

Personally, I’d drop Coppell into the lower grouping and move Vista Ridge and Cedar Ridge up a bit. Also, a note: it will be VERY interesting to see if some of the GN bubble bands (aka Churchill) miss finals in SA and make finals in GN, or make both, or miss GN and make SA finals... and of course how the overall placement of Flomo, Avon, Marcus, Woodlands changes from SA to GN.

I'm inclined to keep 15-20 in the same group. Definitely above 21-25

Right now after seeing Avon I think this is a competition for second place, that show has such a high ceiling and knowing Avon, they will clean it up very well by San Antonio, not to mention the fact they have the best brass section in the country along with being one of if not the best visual band n the country.

Umm best brass section in the country? Have you heard Hebron this year? I know Matt Harloff is a brass god, but I think there are groups just as good (if not better).