2017 BOA San Antonio Super Regionals Predictions

It's been not quite a week and over 2300 miles later, our San Antonio adventure has ended.  I have been a reader of TXBands for a few years, but decided to actually "join" this year after getting the details that we were heading to Texas.  I needed to brush up on all the bands down there as I knew it was going to a great competition, but didn't realize how good.  I knew of a few bands after seeing them at LOS for GN and from "that" video site.  I already had a favorite show from there, Reagan's Beyond Perimeters.  I had no idea what UIL was, "8 Hr rule" or "non state year".  Its been quite a learning experience. Thanks for the encouragement from a private message to share my thoughts on the forums.  

Our days in SA have created memories to last a lifetime.  We were welcomed warmly everywhere we went. As my wife and I got to experience the Riverwalk. We had band parents from all over stop and greet us and chat for a few minutes.  For me, the band nerd, I found it very interesting to pass road signs like Round Rock and Leander, places I knew from band names, then see show shirts with all the great Texas bands everywhere.  Not just a couple here and there as I have seen at GN, but they were everywhere.   

Our kiddo had a blast. After some touring in Dallas and practice at Birdville, Flower Mound treated them very well with dinner and some fun times.  Friendships were made.  We recieved an odd text from our kiddo on friday morning that they beat Flower Mound!?!? followed by "...in tug of war".  After practicing at the Alamo Stadium they actually got to go to Prelims and just sit and watch some of the competition on Friday.  With our normal schedule, they don't get to do that and see other bands.  CTJ blew them away and they knew they had to bring their "A" game, which they did they next day.  The competition was fierce as there were so many great bands bringing their best and I don't think you can get much closer from 2-6 place than how it ended up.... We can ignore last years GN, but we now hold the record for the highest score for 2nd place. :)  I'm not sure if anyone ever predicted the placements for that night.  I remember seeing a post about someone getting a chicken and letting them pick the prediction and it would do just as good.  I also liked the prediction... 1st - Texas band or one from Indiana. 2nd - Texas band or one from Indiana...... I did read where there was a concern about our kids since they didn't medal after the long trip.  When I asked our kiddo that same question, the respsonse was... WE BROKE 95, I'm GOOD!

My take aways.... 
- I'd would do this again in a minute.  Being a band nerd, its was exciting to see all these great bands together in one place.  The amount of work, time, committment each and everyone of these kids have done over the season in their programs is incredible and each one deserves their own standing ovation. 

- Cheering for you own band as they take they field DOES happen outside of Indiana.  We began to wonder after previous competitions where other band parents were much more reserved.  I guess we are just a little loud so our kiddos can hear us on the field. :)

- I was glad about our musical "Tip of the Hat" to our fellow Texas bands.  I don't recall Avon ever changing their warm up before, and especially having the kids to wave a thank you to the crowd at finals performance was an experience for us as well.    

- I still miss stuff when watching the performance and I have an idea what is supposed to happen.  I keep missing the horn toss!  There was a massive trumpet toss across the gym floor in our WGI winds routine last year that made you gasp, so yep, they practice that wherever.  

- We got to talk to people about the meaning behind our show and how its a testament over how the program has been built over the years.  Our kiddos even signed their names on bricks outside their band room.

- We left with beef jerky, fudge, peanut brittle and discovered Beaver Nuggets!

- One complaint... Lucas Oil has escalators. :)

- watching practice from the shade in 90 degree weather is more fun for the parents, than from the stands in 30 degree weather the past weekend.

- discovered the Dan Podcast.

- Leander, Plugerville, Round Rock, Keller, Vista Ridge, Hendrickson, The Woodlands, Flower Mound are some that I remember we talked with personally. Texas left a positive impression with us and friends were made all around.  We would hope to somehow return the hospitality someday.  

- ....and we got to see history in the making with that OUTSTANDING performance from CTJ! Hallelujah!  

Thank you again for your amazing welcome and now on to Grand Nats Y'All!

wiping tears away....

This is just fantastic stuff right here.  No words....and I'm a person with a LOT of words!!  

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

It's been not quite a week and over 2300 miles later, our San Antonio adventure has ended.  I have been a reader of TXBands for a few years, but decided to actually "join" this year after getting the details that we were heading to Texas.  I needed to brush up on all the bands down there as I knew it was going to a great competition, but didn't realize how good.  I knew of a few bands after seeing them at LOS for GN and from "that" video site.  I already had a favorite show from there, Reagan's Beyond Perimeters.  I had no idea what UIL was, "8 Hr rule" or "non state year".  Its been quite a learning experience. Thanks for the encouragement from a private message to share my thoughts on the forums.  

Our days in SA have created memories to last a lifetime.  We were welcomed warmly everywhere we went. As my wife and I got to experience the Riverwalk. We had band parents from all over stop and greet us and chat for a few minutes.  For me, the band nerd, I found it very interesting to pass road signs like Round Rock and Leander, places I knew from band names, then see show shirts with all the great Texas bands everywhere.  Not just a couple here and there as I have seen at GN, but they were everywhere.   

Our kiddo had a blast. After some touring in Dallas and practice at Birdville, Flower Mound treated them very well with dinner and some fun times.  Friendships were made.  We recieved an odd text from our kiddo on friday morning that they beat Flower Mound!?!? followed by "...in tug of war".  After practicing at the Alamo Stadium they actually got to go to Prelims and just sit and watch some of the competition on Friday.  With our normal schedule, they don't get to do that and see other bands.  CTJ blew them away and they knew they had to bring their "A" game, which they did they next day.  The competition was fierce as there were so many great bands bringing their best and I don't think you can get much closer from 2-6 place than how it ended up.... We can ignore last years GN, but we now hold the record for the highest score for 2nd place. :)  I'm not sure if anyone ever predicted the placements for that night.  I remember seeing a post about someone getting a chicken and letting them pick the prediction and it would do just as good.  I also liked the prediction... 1st - Texas band or one from Indiana. 2nd - Texas band or one from Indiana...... I did read where there was a concern about our kids since they didn't medal after the long trip.  When I asked our kiddo that same question, the respsonse was... WE BROKE 95, I'm GOOD!

My take aways.... 
- I'd would do this again in a minute.  Being a band nerd, its was exciting to see all these great bands together in one place.  The amount of work, time, committment each and everyone of these kids have done over the season in their programs is incredible and each one deserves their own standing ovation. 

- Cheering for you own band as they take they field DOES happen outside of Indiana.  We began to wonder after previous competitions where other band parents were much more reserved.  I guess we are just a little loud so our kiddos can hear us on the field. :)

- I was glad about our musical "Tip of the Hat" to our fellow Texas bands.  I don't recall Avon ever changing their warm up before, and especially having the kids to wave a thank you to the crowd at finals performance was an experience for us as well.    

- I still miss stuff when watching the performance and I have an idea what is supposed to happen.  I keep missing the horn toss!  There was a massive trumpet toss across the gym floor in our WGI winds routine last year that made you gasp, so yep, they practice that wherever.  

- We got to talk to people about the meaning behind our show and how its a testament over how the program has been built over the years.  Our kiddos even signed their names on bricks outside their band room.

- We left with beef jerky, fudge, peanut brittle and discovered Beaver Nuggets!

- One complaint... Lucas Oil has escalators. :)

- watching practice from the shade in 90 degree weather is more fun for the parents, than from the stands in 30 degree weather the past weekend.

- discovered the Dan Podcast.

- Leander, Plugerville, Round Rock, Keller, Vista Ridge, Hendrickson, The Woodlands, Flower Mound are some that I remember we talked with personally. Texas left a positive impression with us and friends were made all around.  We would hope to somehow return the hospitality someday.  

- ....and we got to see history in the making with that OUTSTANDING performance from CTJ! Hallelujah!  

Thank you again for your amazing welcome and now on to Grand Nats Y'All!

Edit: They posted a brief story behind our show this year.  I heard its a speech given to the kids each season and the meaning behind the bricks.

AvonDad, I read your post, and I felt like I was in church agreeing with someone's prayer... yes, yes, yes, yes... and you get the idea. I laughed out loud regarding the escalator reference. Between the stairs and the humidity, I was a hot mess, but those shows made it soooo worth it. Texas hospitality, the DanPodcast, and history in the making for CTJ... yes, yes, and YES. Last, but not least, I love that we changed our warm-up.

I wish I could have been at the Avon Marching Black and Gold rehearsal last night, but I was in Baltimore for work. Now I am back in Indy, and I am looking forward to Wednesday with Webb. I am sure I will see you soon. For the record, this is Sonia.. Sarah's mom. Sarah is center xylo in the pit. From one band nerd to another, thanks again for posting this. See you soon! #teamtexavon 

Like MarchingBandNerd, I'm finally getting to reply to this topic as well:

I'd just like to congratulate every band that participated in this competition! The finalist bands were incredible and truly redefined the standard of excellence. What they acheived is no small feat! I can't forget to mention that I feel very fortunate to have been able to witness Avon come down to San Antonio. I'm positive that their appearance this year will affect the level of competition for future years. It was also awesome to watch the top Texas bands; they all had such strong performances that blew my socks off! :)

As for those who did not qualify for finals, I (as a member of one of those groups) can say that it is easy to be discouraged by placement. However, in this year especially, not making finals is not something to be ashamed of. The competition was absolutely stacked this year. Many non-finalist bands had incredible performances, and they all definitely pushed the bigger bands to set the bar higher. I'm looking forward to watching the growth of these bands in the upcoming years.

All I can say is- what a competition! I won't be forgetting about it anytime soon. And a huge congratulations to CTJ for taking home the gold!

• 3 weeks later...

It's the most viewed thread in the history of the site.  It's also the most replied competition thread, while being #4 most replied out of all threads :).

...and this thread has been a blast to read and very informative to help bring some of us "non-Texas band parents" up to speed on what to expect.  Absolutely ENJOYED the competition and would love to see it live again someday.  The level of competition was unheard of this year and I can now boast that I got to see it in person.  Wonderful shows performed at high excellence and something to remember for a lifetime.  I would have loved to see CTJ bring that show to GN and blow "Big Bertha" (that's the name of the retractable roof at LOS) open.  Thanks y'all for a memorable experience.

...and this thread has been a blast to read and very informative to help bring some of us "non-Texas band parents" up to speed on what to expect. Absolutely ENJOYED the competition and would love to see it live again someday. The level of competition was unheard of this year and I can now boast that I got to see it in person. Wonderful shows performed at high excellence and something to remember for a lifetime. I would have loved to see CTJ bring that show to GN and blow "Big Bertha" (that's the name of the retractable roof at LOS) open. Thanks y'all for a memorable experience.

You guys are family now. :)

...and this thread has been a blast to read and very informative to help bring some of us "non-Texas band parents" up to speed on what to expect. Absolutely ENJOYED the competition and would love to see it live again someday. The level of competition was unheard of this year and I can now boast that I got to see it in person. Wonderful shows performed at high excellence and something to remember for a lifetime. I would have loved to see CTJ bring that show to GN and blow "Big Bertha" (that's the name of the retractable roof at LOS) open. Thanks y'all for a memorable experience.

Down here Big Bertha is the 8 ft bass drum that The University of Texas Longhorn Marching Band has.

• 6 months later...