2017 BOA San Antonio Super Regionals Predictions

You could attend Round Rock High School's send off performance at about 7:30 pm tomorrow (Monday) at Kelly Reeves!

You totally read my mind because I had that exact same thought when I wrote that to The Woodlands Dad earlier. Thank you for giving me the details and the invite. I may very well take you up on it!!

BTW, I go to church with Braeden's family (trombone player) if you know him. :)

Just wondering from other's perspectives about what lacked in Vista Ridge's performance to break into the finals. From the webcast, it looked spot on to me and I liked it better that a few of the finalists.

Absolutely NOTHING lacked. They were brilliant. Truly. It's just that 15 other bands were infinitesimally better in prelims. Any other day, Vista could have been one of those bands, and 2 other brilliant bands would have been barely out of finals.

You totally read my mind because I had that exact same thought when I wrote that to The Woodlands Dad earlier. Thank you for giving me the details and the invite. I may very well take you up on it!!

BTW, I go to church with Braeden's family (trombone player) if you know him. :)

Oh yeah! I know him! I'm pretty sure he left band. Oh well.. Cool to know though!

Just wondering from other's perspectives about what lacked in Vista Ridge's performance to break into the finals.  From the webcast, it looked spot on to me and I liked it better that a few of the finalists.

Vista Ridges show was fantastic they are an amazing group! What I think happened was being directly after Cedar Park, Cedar Ridge, and Round Rock it played a big roll in how scores were given. Cedar Park and Cedar Ridge were probably the measure, were you better than Cedar Park? maybe not but possibly better than cedar ridge. Sometimes great bands being back to back helps the judges give scores if the competition is competitive which it was!

I"m glad I saw this comment. I'm planning on coming to your send off. I thought it was going to be at Dragon stadium. I'm going to miss the RR's iconic uniforms.

That's where we always do our send off performances but this year, there's a middle school football game at the stadium on Monday. So Kelly Reeves was our next best location. And yes, "The best marching arts uniform in existence!" (Hornrank retweeted Zach Ashcraft's photo of our head drum major with that caption on Friday) will be worn for the last in Texas at Kelly Reeves tomorrow.

Three slight surprises.

1 - Leander in 14th. Completely disagree with this placement. The scores for them are all fairly baffling.

I felt the exact same way but then I really thought about it. Leander performs what they have at an EXTREMELY high level but seem to be trying too hard to do something so new that they lose the focus on the basics. Their show is dominated by electronics/guard moments/running

that it is hard to reward them in music and visual when there is a lack of both. When they do play or march they perform it extremely well but they severely lack it to the point where it really affects thier scores. At first glance, thier show is an absolutely phenomenal work of art (which it still is), but strays too far from the basics of marching and playing. I am in 100% favor of modern shows but there is a point where it begins to hurt placement and scores but that shouldn’t even matter as long as the kids love what they do.

This is all complete speculation and I could be totally wrong.

I felt the exact same way but then I really thought about it. Leander performs what they have at an EXTREMELY high level but seem to be trying too hard to do something so new that they lose the focus on the basics. Their show is dominated by electronics/guard moments/running

that it is hard to reward them in music and visual when there is a lack of both. When they do play or march they perform it extremely well but they severely lack it to the point where it really affects thier scores. At first glance, thier show is an absolutely phenomenal work of art (which it still is), but strays too far from the basics of marching and playing. I am in 100% favor of modern shows but there is a point where it begins to hurt placement and scores but that shouldn’t even matter as long as the kids love what they do.

I agree with you! let me say that I also believe that this is what happened to round rock. They had amazing shows from 2010-2013 then everything got cluttered, sometimes having a show that is filled to the brim with effect is beneficial but only when they master the basics. Both Leander and Round Rock are great bands but something just doesn't seem to work. 

I think Round Rock will still make finals at Grand Nats. How does everyone feel about Churchill's placement and their potential at Grand Nats?

I do think Round Rock will be in finals, and regarding Churchill, I think they have similar chances to what Wakeland had when they went in 14, as well as Bowie in 06, but will likely finish in the teens.

I feel the same about Round Rock. 

All the running around/free body movement in the show isn't really helping them with their visual scores/ doesn't really make a whole lot of sense in terms of general effect. I think they should make the body movements move together so that it is more judgable from a marching/sameness standpoint or at the very least make it so that what they are projecting to the box makes sense at all times. I thought the band did a great job with projecting a theme to the box but it did not make sense thematically. 

I was thinking about something before I went to sleep last night. The question I found myself asking was, "How high would CTJ score if they were to go to nationals this year?".

Well I did some general math last night and I came up with a score between 98.5 and 98.8. How did I get there? It's quite simple.

If you think about it, the Johnson program went to three BOA events this year all in three week intervals. Their score improved roughly six points per competition meaning their rate of improvement was approximately two points per week. If you add that to this week give or take a few tenths of a point from time and how hard they push in that time, then you get the result I did. Now if I remember, the highest score ever in nationals history is something like 98.375,right, so wouldn't that make the CTJ 2017 band the best marching band in the history of high school marching band?

Wow! I am back in Missouri after an awesome weekend in San Antonio watching great bands and spending time with some great people talking about those bands (we were actually almost kicked out of Whataburger because we were passionately discussing placements a little too loudly.

That is awesome.

Coming up at 6, Band Nerds Get Kicked Out of Restaurant. :D