2017 BOA San Antonio Super Regionals Predictions

Glad to see that College Park hasn't been fazed by the director change. Lots of really strong playing throughout. This is a group that seems to understand more and more each year how to craft an effective show. I do think the visual program is an area that needs work, and they should hit that hard in the coming years.

Garden of Glass. I like the sound of that. I also like how Aledo sounds. And looks. What a strong group. The end was very eye-popping. That finals bubble just keeps getting bigger!

One thing I will say, and it's not directed purely at Aledo: I'm starting to really dislike painted backdrops and the props across the front sidelines. Every other group seems to have them, and I don't find them as transporting as I think their advocates do. Obviously, this isn't just Aledo. Heck, even CTJ is using them this year. I just wish bands would do more to physically recreate the space they want to make without resorting to just having some paintings backfield.

I know nothing about bands and what makes them good or final worthy but happy to hear it was well received.  I'm an Aledo parent and can't be there and just on the edge of my seat here at home.  Following the live blog and twitter!  Ha Ha.  So dang proud of these kids and their program.  Tough competition!  I have really enjoyed the competitions.  So much talent out there and the shows are just all so unique and different and just amazing!

Garden of Glass. I like the sound of that. I also like how Aledo sounds. And looks. What a strong group. The end was very eye-popping. That finals bubble just keeps getting bigger!

One thing I will say, and it's not directed purely at Aledo: I'm starting to really dislike painted backdrops and the props across the front sidelines. Every other group seems to have them, and I don't find them as transporting as I think their advocates do. Obviously, this isn't just Aledo. Heck, even CTJ is using them this year. I just wish bands would do more to physically recreate the space they want to make without resorting to just having some paintings backfield.

The ones in front are usually just judge blockers so they don't see the alternates/shadows and the guard sitting there waiting for their part it the performance.

After missing finals at Nationals, I think reports of James Bowie's death have been exaggerated. The opening visual, as the room turns and opens up and everything turns into the sky, is easily the most eye-popping thing I've seen all day. The show is very theatrical, but there are lots of typical marching band pleasures to be had. The guard is still the best in Texas. I don't think the performance was as polished as some of their stuff from a few years ago, but they're absolutely in the running for finals here.

The audio was not lined up with the visual for TWHS, so I missed the first part of the show. Looks like they were missing one of their balls! On that note, I could have sworn they were unfinished props, but I guess not! The show is definitely cleaner than it used to be, but there were lots of rhythmic inaccuracies musically and things really didn't click. They might looking outside of the top half of finals for the first time. But in finals for sure!

I decided to check youtube and found videos of a few of the performances on there. I watched Timber Creek and Bowie so far. I am so proud of TC, I think they have made a really great show this year and I hope they continue to improve like they have been.

I dont know a lot about the technical side of marching band, as I never was in it myself, but I thought that james Bowie's show was so refreshing and one of the rare pieces of art that we sometimes get the priviledge of seeing. Ive seen some comments that their sound and look is different from most of the other top texas bands, but maybe that is what I like about them this year? I dont know. I think it has more to do with the way they present their show. So many bands take dramatic topics and turn them into intense dramatic performances and it works really well, but it is so cool to see a group take such a simple topic and use drama to make it resonate equally as much. It reminded me (as I think it was supposed to) of surrealist paintings that are so simple and mysterious and somewhat abrasive but make you just want to stop and stare at them for minutes and minutes and reflect on life. I will stop my little spiel now, but lets just say that I liked them and I hope they get to perform again tonight.