2017 BOA San Antonio Super Regionals Predictions

First of all, I think they will be in finals but I wouldn’t be completely shocked it they aren’t.

I love that they are doing something new this year while still keeping the “Keller” feel. Musically they are probably one of the best bands at San Antonio. For example, they were 3rd in music in SA prelims last but then somehow fell to 13th in finals. This year they topped Marcus at birdville in music which is a huge accomplishment. Also, I want to point out that in my opinion, they are one of the few bands that marches and plays as much as they do and still sound as good.

Visually they are extremely ambitious but their drill isn’t clean. Probably due to the fact that their hardest drill is right at the end of the show and it is ALL done while playing at a fast tempo. You can literally see people running to different sets, which makes it even more impressive that they sound good while doing it. Thier drill should bring strong visual GE if it were clean, which it is not right now.

Based on years past, they struggle a bit with GE. They look to be focused on GE this year which will probably help them out but thier show is missing the cohesiveness that I see out of the LISD bands where they have three very related parts of the show. I can kind of see that Keller is trying to have very different styles of music across thier show maybe like they are trying to find their “Sense Of Direction” but some moments feel off compared to others. It would be fun to see how many individual arrows are in this show because between the props, guard, and drill it is kind of insane lol!

They are hard to predict because they never get to compete with other bands around thier skill level like Round Rock, Cedar Park, etc. They really only get to compete with the LISD bands so it’s hard to track progress.

One thing I don’t get on the high school level is the Visual Proficiency subcaption. I’ve been a tech a few times while in college and after the drum corps seasons, but I can’t figure out how some groups are scored so well or so poorly.

I’ll see top level schools where body alignment is a problem and timing is poor out scoring groups like Keller or Cedar Park that have a great presence from marcher to marcher and you’d be had pressed to find stickouts with poor technique. Is BOA really just based on GE carries a school to their placement?

One thing I don’t get on the high school level is the Visual Proficiency subcaption. I’ve been a tech a few times while in college and after the drum corps seasons, but I can’t figure out how some groups are scored so well or so poorly.

I’ll see top level schools where body alignment is a problem and timing is poor out scoring groups like Keller or Cedar Park that have a great presence from marcher to marcher and you’d be had pressed to find stickouts with poor technique. Is BOA really just based on GE carries a school to their placement?

BOA is mainly a GE contest just like UIL only cares about music and if your lines are straight.

BOA is mainly a GE contest just like UIL only cares about music and if your lines are straight.

Uh-oh - UIL vs BOA debate initiated...

There are many who are more strongly opinionated about this - but this statement is far too simplified. If UIL only cared about straight lines and clean music, then military style marching bands would win easily - every time. While the scoring systems are supposedly drastically different, most bands that succeed at BOA, relatively succeed at UIL. The line between the two is much more grey than most believe in my opinion. 

Okay so I know this is one of those dumb questions but what does the Chief Judge actually do?

A chief judge supervises the judges. To use an example from personal experience: let’s say you’re a relatively new judge and you watch the first band of the day and you’re unsure if the score you’ve awarded is within the “correct” range given the guidelines, and you’re afraid it’s going to screw up the rest of your scores. A chief judge could take a look and say, “Yeah, that seems about right.” Obviously, it never turns into the chief judge telling the other judges how the bands should be placed. It’s more guidance.

A chief judge supervises the judges. To use an example from personal experience: let’s say you’re a relatively new judge and you watch the first band of the day and you’re unsure if the score you’ve awarded is within the “correct” range given the guidelines, and you’re afraid it’s going to screw up the rest of your scores. A chief judge could take a look and say, “Yeah, that seems about right.” Obviously, it never turns into the chief judge telling the other judges how the bands should be placed. It’s more guidance.

Do they judge the judges' judging? :P

I was making a joke, but I was half right lmao. #swish

Yeah I understand that. Simply Marcus would win UIL and LD Bell would win BOA. Enough so that rumors went around that LD Bell would pull out of UIL competitions altogether.

I think my only solution is I will watch all of BOA San Antonio this weekend and try and rate the bands on Visual Proficiency and see where my numbers lie.

Uh-oh - UIL vs BOA debate initiated...

There are many who are more strongly opinionated about this - but this statement is far too simplified. If UIL only cared about straight lines and clean music, then military style marching bands would win easily - every time. While the scoring systems are supposedly drastically different, most bands that succeed at BOA, relatively succeed at UIL. The line between the two is much more grey than most believe in my opinion.

I tried to make it simple on purpose that’s just the gist in my opinion I know it goes deeper than that

Guaranteed 100% accurate predictions:

1. Some Texas or Indiana HS band

2. Some Texas or Indiana HS band

4. Some Texas or Indiana HS band

5. Some Texas or Indiana HS band

6. Some Texas or Indiana HS band

7. Some Texas or Indiana HS band

8. Some Texas or Indiana HS band

9. Some Texas or Indiana HS band

10. Some Texas or Indiana HS band

11. Some Texas or Indiana HS band

12. Some Texas or Indiana HS band

13. Some Texas or Indiana HS band

14. Some Texas or Indiana HS band

That's about as confident as I can get with this competition, as insanely stacked as it is.

This is the best thing I’ve seen on this website

Mr. Stevenson's top 14 picks                              Music Caption: Hebron

1: Hebron                                                            Visual Caption: Flower Mound

2: Flower Mound                                                      GE Caption: Hebron

3: Avon

4: Claudia Taylor Johnson

5: Vandegrift

6: The Woodlands

7: Ronald Reagan

8: Leander

9: Cedar Park 

10: Marcus

11: Cedar Ridge

12: James Bowie 

13: Hendrickson

14: LD Bell

Mr. Stevenson's top 14 picks                              Music Caption: Hebron

1: Hebron                                                            Visual Caption: Flower Mound

2: Flower Mound                                                      GE Caption: Hebron

3: Avon

4: Claudia Taylor Johnson

5: Vandegrift

6: The Woodlands

7: Ronald Reagan

8: Leander

9: Cedar Park 

10: Marcus

11: Cedar Ridge

12: James Bowie 

13: Hendrickson

14: LD Bell

Cedar Ridge and no Round Rock or Keller?

Round Rock is a definite oversight. I don’t really Cedar Ridge as better than Keller. Now a good question for me is how Hendrickson stacks up versus LD Bell and Keller.

Not to take anything away from Cedar Ridge, but they did well this past weekend against the bands at Atlanta. At San Antonio, they will be going against a bunch of bands that should surpass them in music, visual, and GE. Again, not that they didn't do well at Atlanta, but SA is a totally different level of competition.

Round Rock is good but Hendrickson is having a good year, they improved from BOA Austin and beat Round rock who went down .15 points after two weeks. BOA San Antonio is by far the most competitive competition so it will be interesting to see what happens.

I suspect that had to do with a bad run in finals that included a collision. There score in prelims was higher than their Austin score.