• 2 weeks later...

Leander preview is looking and sounding very good, personally I think it sounds and looks a lot more polished at this point than it did last year.

Agreed. Wanted to give some attention to their guard too- of course the winds are doing amazing but holy cow! If this is the level that guard is starting at, their finish will be incredible.

I wish Leander didn't always put videos up so dang early in the season! Not sure why I feel that way, tho. Does it matter in the long run? Probably not...

I admire bands who put videos or allow them to stay up early on, I know the learning curve for HS band compared to stuff like drum corps/college/etc. is a lot steeper, especially after you get past the best of the best bands like Lenader and their peers.  And just getting to see stuff is always VERY nice.  

Looking and sounding great, Leander is a band who has an incredibly distinct identity to me, didn't take me long to realize that it's them; love that the ethereal and high energy approach to music programming and design is still there, and color me intrigued at the visual side of things.  

I personally love it when bands do this! It spreads how they're doing and really lets you see growth through the season. Also, Leander always looks fantastic anyway!

I do have mixed feelings about it. I love being able to watch the videos and often wish other districts would show what their kids are doing. But I also cringe a little because it's so early in the season and a bit rough to look at. And there's no element of surprise once it's all out there.

This brings me to a question I've had for awhile now. WHY are so many bands SO secretive with their videos? Look at the comments on you tube. People go apoplectic when someone puts up a video of their band! Haltom has one up, and people are freaking out. I've seen the same with Dallas area bands and Houston too. Just wondered what the thinking might be on whether to allow videos up or not.

I do have mixed feelings about it. I love being able to watch the videos and often wish other districts would show what their kids are doing. But I also cringe a little because it's so early in the season and a bit rough to look at. And there's no element of surprise once it's all out there.

This brings me to a question I've had for awhile now. WHY are so many bands SO secretive with their videos? Look at the comments on you tube. People go apoplectic when someone puts up a video of their band! Haltom has one up, and people are freaking out. I've seen the same with Dallas area bands and Houston too. Just wondered what the thinking might be on whether to allow videos up or not.

The reason to this is because the directors want there video that goes up to be professional done and what do they are really about at the end of the season. They don't want videos of them learning out because that's not what they are gonna be . They want only what is close to perfect . And when they do compete they want it to be a surprise

Copyright issues, in some cases.