9:45 p.m. - Carmel H.S., IN

10:00 p.m. - Broken Arrow H.S., OK

10:15 p.m. - Flower Mound H.S., TX

10:30 p.m. - Marcus H.S., TX

10:45 p.m. - Avon H.S., IN

Three Texas Bands in Top 6!!!

4 (can't forget the beloved Avon)

Here’s my hot take.

Texas bands hype their GN trips too much and craft shows that are too hard, too half-baked, and/or too over-developed (yes, simultaneously!) that’s why we’ve been left with disappointing results the past couple of years and probably this year as well. Of course, we aren’t as fortunate as Carmel and Avon (and even BA) to have GN be our normal. There’s no such thing as a Grand Nationals trip for them. But what every Texas band did the years before they go to GN was perfectly fine. Yes, a standard fare visual program in the state won’t cut it and does need to be stepped up, but the GN programming isn’t working on the whole for bands that have shows in other years that would easily medal or take the eagle.

Here’s my hot take.

Texas bands hype their GN trips too much and craft shows that are too hard, too half-baked, and/or too over-developed (yes, simultaneously!) that’s why we’ve been left with disappointing results the past couple of years and probably this year as well. Of course, we aren’t as fortunate as Carmel and Avon (and even BA) to have GN be our normal. There’s no such thing as a Grand Nationals trip for them. But what every Texas band did the years before they go to GN was perfectly fine. Yes, a standard fare visual program in the state won’t cut it and does need to be stepped up, but the GN programming isn’t working on the whole for bands that have shows in other years that would easily medal or take the eagle.

Texas bands are also at a disadvantage nationally because of our 8-hr/wk practice rule.

I think it is more difficult to make finals at SA than it is at Nationals this year.  

I think it's a little of both. Round Rock is bringing their A game to Grand Nats and deserve to be in finals IMO. But it's probably much more about how incredible and record-breaking the competition was at San Antonio. Round Rock scored pretty much as high as they ever did at San Antonio prelims, but every single one of the Texas powerhouse bands (plus Avon) was there and pushing the envelope in SA this year. You had to get down to 12th place to drop below 90. So yeah. Round Rock kicked it up a notch after the first time not making finals in SA in 7 years. San Antonio raised the bar.

Finals Schedule

7:45 p.m. - Class Champion Exhibition: Adair County H.S., KY

8:00 p.m. - Dobyns-Bennett H.S., TN

8:15 p.m. - Marian Catholic H.S., IL

8:30 p.m. - Union H.S., OK

8:45 p.m. - Round Rock H.S., TX

9:00 p.m. - Blue Springs H.S., MO

9:15 p.m. - Castle H.S., IN

9:30 p.m. - The Woodlands H.S., TX

I'm guessing those times are Eastern time zone?  

Here’s my hot take.

I think you're overthinking it. Ever since the end of the LD Bell/Marcus era there hasn't been a consistently good tx band. There is always a Texas group that rivals BA/Carmel/Avon, but it seems to change every year. Grand Nationals is a big trip that bands have to plan in advance, so they can't attend based on the success they have had that season. Even Flower Mound wasn't able to put out a winning product after doing it twice in a row. This is the biggest reason why most Texas band people want Nationals to be in San Antonio.

Finals Schedule

7:45 p.m. - Class Champion Exhibition: Adair County H.S., KY

8:00 p.m. - Dobyns-Bennett H.S., TN

8:15 p.m. - Marian Catholic H.S., IL

8:30 p.m. - Union H.S., OK

8:45 p.m. - Round Rock H.S., TX

9:00 p.m. - Blue Springs H.S., MO

9:15 p.m. - Castle H.S., IN

9:30 p.m. - The Woodlands H.S., TX

Wow. So the top 6 went..

1. Carmel

2. Broken Arrow

3. Avon

4-6 Woodlands, FM, Marcus

that’s pretty cool!! hopefully one of them can jump up to a medal!!

I think you're overthinking it. Ever since the end of the LD Bell/Marcus era there hasn't been a consistently good tx band. There is always a Texas group that rivals BA/Carmel/Avon, but it seems to change every year. Grand Nationals is a big trip that bands have to plan in advance, so they can't attend based on the success they have had that season. Even Flower Mound wasn't able to put out a winning product after doing it twice in a row. This is the biggest reason why most Texas band people want Nationals to be in San Antonio.

I think in the coming years that more bands will do what Avon did and come down to San Antonio and it will basically be a second nationals.

I think in the coming years that more bands will do what Avon did and come down to San Antonio and it will basically be a second nationals.

There will also be the continued effect of more Texas bands expanding out to Atlanta and St Louis regionals in order to medal.  Like LD Bell last year and Haltom City, Cedar Ridge and Westwood.  Amazing those are called super regionals along with San Antonio because clearly SA is in a different league.