I think we should figure out a way to regularly send our top 3 to 6 bands to GN. Sort of like state!

I know our school district only allows travel outside the state once every 2 years, otherwise I think we'd go more often.

I'm now trying to figure a strategy to catch the TX bands (plus Avon as an honorary member) for prelims. That 11 pm Churchill on Thursday then 7:30 am Flower Mound on Friday plus working with our kids makes it tough. Most years all the TX bands go on Friday - what happened this year with Marcus, Round Rock, and Winston Churchill? I also saw on the MFA forum that Churchill is flying in Thursday morning. Marcus and Flower Mound are taking buses and leaving on Wednesday. We are flying out Wednesday night. Anyone know about Round Rock and Prosper?

I know our school district only allows travel outside the state once every 2 years, otherwise I think we'd go more often.

I'm now trying to figure a strategy to catch the TX bands (plus Avon as an honorary member) for prelims. That 11 pm Churchill on Thursday then 7:30 am Flower Mound on Friday plus working with our kids makes it tough. Most years all the TX bands go on Friday - what happened this year with Marcus, Round Rock, and Winston Churchill? I also saw on the MFA forum that Churchill is flying in Thursday morning. Marcus and Flower Mound are taking buses and leaving on Wednesday. We are flying out Wednesday night. Anyone know about Round Rock and Prosper?

I imagine they all chose Thursday so they weren't locked into an early Friday slot. Additionally, they'll have more time to clean and fix what was on the tapes and comments from Thursday.

Round Rock usually charters a flight, but I wonder if they chose to drive this time around. Monday is a little early for a GN send-off if you're flying.

So I know we all have had doubts about Broken Arrow since BOA STL and I was wondering if those were still on people mind. I’m not sure how well BA will perform espically after how well Marcus, FloMo, Avon and TWHS all did at BOA SA even if none of them were in the top 3. That’s not to say BA won’t be in the top three but I’m thinking their road there may be a little more difficult than expected.

I want FloMo to take the eagle but I honestly think Carmel is gonna take it again after topping over Avon in the last 2 contests

Do not rule us (Avon) out just yet. Carmel beat us in Dayton Prelims. They had an 86.1, but we had an 85.95. Finals were cancelled b/c of weather. At the Indy Super Regional, Avon took the Class AAAA title for Prelims, but you are correct Carmel beat us in the finals. Goes back to my sharpen the saw comment on the San Antonio thread. These kids push each other to greatness. Might be Carmel, but it might be Avon, one of the Texas bands, Broken Arrow, etc. I stand by my previous comment: from what I saw in San Antonio, the spectators are in for a phenomenal night of competition this Saturday. 

So I know we all have had doubts about Broken Arrow since BOA STL and I was wondering if those were still on people mind. I’m not sure how well BA will perform espically after how well Marcus, FloMo, Avon and TWHS all did at BOA SA even if none of them were in the top 3. That’s not to say BA won’t be in the top three but I’m thinking their road there may be a little more difficult than expected.

Everyone is coming to win. I would not rule out Broken Arrow or any other of the rest of these bands. It is anybody's eagle. The clean-up this week is important to all. 

I imagine they all chose Thursday so they weren't locked into an early Friday slot. Additionally, they'll have more time to clean and fix what was on the tapes and comments from Thursday.

Round Rock usually charters a flight, but I wonder if they chose to drive this time around. Monday is a little early for a GN send-off if you're flying.

Round Rock is flying to Indy on Wednesday. Google Round Rock Dragon Band Boosters. You'll find their whole itinerary.

I feel like we haven't acknowledged Marcus getting second in visual .02 behind Avon at SA, which is something I don't think anyone would have anticipated coming into this season and is very, very impressive for a program that has never had a reputation as being a visual powerhouse. Should be interesting to see how they'll stack up against the presumed top 4 at nationals in general, but particularly in the visual caption. i'm not certain they can get higher than 5th here but it certainly doesn't feel impossible against a top tier of bands that don't look as invincible as one would have guessed coming into the season (except Carmel)

I feel like we haven't acknowledged Marcus getting second in visual .02 behind Avon at SA, which is something I don't think anyone would have anticipated coming into this season and is very, very impressive for a program that has never had a reputation as being a visual powerhouse. Should be interesting to see how they'll stack up against the presumed top 4 at nationals in general, but particularly in the visual caption. i'm not certain they can get higher than 5th here but it certainly doesn't feel impossible against a top tier of bands that don't look as invincible as one would have guessed coming into the season (except Carmel)

I actually have Marcus as a dark horse for a medal, and I think they'll be the highest placing Texas band at nationals.

Leander fan and general band fan here in general...

My question for the masses is what happened to William Mason this year?

They had improved every year and medaled at Nationals last year and I haven't seen them on HornRank top 30 at all?!

That seems like a massive drop...maybe something I'm missing?  Director change?  Just an off year?

Can somebody fill me in as to why this might be?  Thanks.  I was just curious.

Short answer: A criminal charge against their director created an avalanche of director changes, program changes and a requisite drop in student morale. This led to their first regional loss in years, and the talk of the town regarding them is not very positive. The masses are split on if they'll make finals or not, and if they do, how much will be because they "earned" it or "their name."

Round Rock's equipment trucks needed to get on the road, hence the early send-off show. The kids are flying on Wednesday.

Just got back from our send-off. If you tune in Friday morning and remember our show from Saturday you might notice a few alterations. I would go as far as adding the word significant in front of alterations. My personal take is that it is an improvement.

I would also like to say thank you to the members of the other local bands that attended and showed their support. I sat directly beside some students from College Park, and they were great and highly complimentary of our show.

Just some food for thought...

The Highest and lowest scores that have been recorded for 12th place at GN Semifinals since 2000 were 85.40 in 2012 and 90.50 in 2007.

Using that knowledge any band that has scored above a 90.50 this season has statistically a 100% chance of being in finals. 

(Of course that is purely anecdotal evidence but then again so is a predictions list!)

Those Bands would be (Included only if they are going to nationals):

Carmel(IN)

Avon(IN)

Flower Mound(TX)

Marcus(TX)

The Woodlands(TX)

That leaves another 7 bands to make finals. Bands that have scored within the 85.40+ margin this season and going to nationals are...

Castle(IN)

Union(OK)

Homestead(IN)

Marian Catholic(IL)

Broken Arrow(OK)

Blue Springs(MO)

O'Fallon Township(IL)

Owasso(OK)

Round Rock(TX)

Winston Churchill(TX)

That's 10 bands.

bands in top 40 but have not scored in this margin to watch out for would be...

Center Grove(IN)

Franklin(TN)

Dobyns-Bennett(TN)

William Mason(OH)

Thats 21 bands that have a projected shot at finals in 2017. Only 12 get in(Unless a tie).

Predictions... Just Finalists; no order other than top 6 and bottom 6.

Carmel(IN)

Avon(IN)

Flower Mound(TX)

Marcus(TX)

The Woodlands(TX)

Broken Arrow(OK)

Round Rock(TX)

Castle(IN)

Union(OK)

Blue Springs(MO)

Homestead(IN)

Marian Catholic(IL)

Leaving out...

Winston Churchill(TX)

O'Fallon Township(IL)

Owasso(OK)

Center Grove(IN)

Franklin(TN)

Dobyns-Bennett(TN)

William Mason(OH)

Any of these band have the potential to make finals and I cant wait to see how it plays out! :) 

Just got back from our send-off. If you tune in Friday morning and remember our show from Saturday you might notice a few alterations. I would go as far as adding the word significant in front of alterations. My personal take is that it is an improvement.

I would also like to say thank you to the members of the other local bands that attended and showed their support. I sat directly beside some students from College Park, and they were great and highly complimentary of our show.

What time is your Friday morning performance?  Hopefully I will be at my desk at that time and can sit and watch it!