2016 6A UIL State

I am still shocked over Bowie being left out of finals. Maybe I missed something, but I had them comfortably in finals in my personal rankings with what I thought was a wonderful performance. I also saw a ton of growth in the show from Area, where they finished 2nd to Reagan. First time since 2004 that Bowie was not in the state finals. Of course, they will do Texas proud in Indy this weekend.

Also interesting, this is Hebron's third consecutive silver medal at this contest. They absolutely blew me away today with their depth of sound from bass to treble, as well as what has got to be one of the hardest woodwind books ever performed on the field.

Additionally, it's great to see some new faces in these finals. Awesome for Round Rock to achieve this success after some rough Area contests in the recent years. Absolutely brilliant show - all those rotating snowflakes in the drill were done so well. And, how about North Shore - I didn't know what to expect and they blew me away with their power and technique. Wonderful to see a nice resurgence for the Houston area between them and the success of Cy Falls at BOA on Saturday.

Finally, a quick nod to Hendrickson and my favorite show of the season! Sad to have not seen this one in the finals, but they did themselves proud this weekend - that trombone trio in the closer is forever playing in my head! Nothing but good things headed their way.

What happen with Bowie? I haven't seen any comments about their show? 15th in prelims seems awfully low for them.

You have to remember that the prelims are the screening phase of the competition. If you have weakness, any weakness in your show you will pay a hefty price for it. What I noticed time and time again was bands performing really well, but at some point had a certain section or sections of their show that didn't go well. That's all it really takes sometimes, just one bad moment. All the bands at state are good or they wouldn't be there. You have to have a really strong performance throughout just to have a shot. I saw many bands loose their chance with just one rough patch. The judging at state can be brutal and unforgiving!

Kinda silly to have a full retreat but only announce the medalists. Oh well. Looks like the gold is staying in Flower Mound, Texas. Congrats Flower Mound!

Agreed. If you are going to go to the trouble to assemble them all together, at least reveal the placements up to the medals. It was ridiculous to have a full retreat for just the medals. Didn't want to be too much like a BOA contest I guess!

You are correct. They also were 2nd place in both 1983 and 1985 (in the largest classification). I was shocked when the interview people were saying it was their first time. Their band director

This was long before most of these kids were born and they may just not know about it. Most kids in most bands probably don't know what their bands did in the late 70's and early 80's, if their schools even existed that long ago. Their band directors may not have told them about it as well. Also, many directors don't really consider those first competitions as the same kind of competition as today. It wasn't widely attended then and there wasn't a good representation of the state at that time. I knew the Round Rock director in 2010 the last time they made state before this year and he considered 2010 their first time to go.

I'm a Marcus band member, and i want to congratulate everyone who participated in uil this year. Every one of those bands worked hard to get where they are. Congrats to flower mound for becoming the new champs, and hebron for getting second. You guys were great, and i think all of the 12 in finals deserved to be there. I loved all of the shows I got to see and perform in.

Sadly not, but are there any competitions that do? Where would you have ranked us?

Don't let it get you down finishing 30th at States.They are judged strangely. I feel Clements show was very entertaining as it pushed the boundaries like CyFair and CyFalls did this year.

Other bands may have scored higher but you guys are only going to get better in the future. Keep pushing!!!

I'm a Marcus band member, and i want to congratulate everyone who participated in uil this year. Every one of those bands worked hard to get where they are. Congrats to flower mound for becoming the new champs, and hebron for getting second. You guys were great, and i think all of the 12 in finals deserved to be there. I loved all of the shows I got to see and perform in.

I am a Flower Mound Alumni Band Parent.  Marcus was great this year.  Congrats to you on your season.  I was glad to see you guys get a grand reception when you returned home from SA.

• 2 weeks later...