2016 BOA San Antonio Predictions

After seeing Leander's full show sans props I think it has a chance to catch flomo if it's cleaned incredibly well. That being said it's a tall order for Reagan,Leander and Ctj to get clean enough by San Antonio to catch flomo due to how clean they already are. But beyond the top of finals, I'm incredibly excited to see what happens in the bottom 5 spots or so. Based off Austin finals we may see vista break the top 10 or a number of bands who either haven't made it in a long time or have never made slip into finals. It's gonna be crazy.

Respectfully, I could not disagree more.  I think Leanders show is great, but I could easily see Reagan catching flomo.  The Reagan ballad is by far the best moment of the season for me so far and their vocalist is INSANE.  I would venture that she is the best vocalist I've hear in a marching show, that include Avon, Bell, Woodlands and Cedar Ridge (all known one time or another for their vocalists).  The Reagan vocalist is incredible, and adds so much depth to the music.  They've also got an insane visual package (look at last year when the won visual at SA.  I think they've definitely got the ability in this show to catch Flomo.

Leander is also great, and have some insane musical licks to clean up in order to bump their score.  I wish they would have been able to compete in SA last year so that we had some way to compare them to Flomo! I also think CTJ has a shot.  They're visual is NUTS and they still won the caption in Prelims at Conroe while they were super messy.  I think if they can get it cleaned, they have a shot at the visual caption at Nationals.

Just my two cents, I love Flower Mound, but I certainly don't think theyre untouchable after one show, and definitely not ONLY by one or two groups.

Respectfully, I could not disagree more.  I think Leanders show is great, but I could easily see Reagan catching flomo.  The Reagan ballad is by far the best moment of the season for me so far and their vocalist is INSANE.  I would venture that she is the best vocalist I've hear in a marching show, that include Avon, Bell, Woodlands and Cedar Ridge (all known one time or another for their vocalists).  The Reagan vocalist is incredible, and adds so much depth to the music.  They've also got an insane visual package (look at last year when the won visual at SA.  I think they've definitely got the ability in this show to catch Flomo.

Leander is also great, and have some insane musical licks to clean up in order to bump their score.  I wish they would have been able to compete in SA last year so that we had some way to compare them to Flomo! I also think CTJ has a shot.  They're visual is NUTS and they still won the caption in Prelims at Conroe while they were super messy.  I think if they can get it cleaned, they have a shot at the visual caption at Nationals.

Just my two cents, I love Flower Mound, but I certainly don't think theyre untouchable after one show, and definitely not ONLY by one or two groups.

Reagan's musical program is designed amazingly. I'm interested in understanding what sets their visual apart from the other top programs.

Reagan's musical program is designed amazingly. I'm interested in understanding what sets their visual apart from the other top programs.

I believe the guard is amazing.  from the color palette of the dresses to the integration in the drill.  I won't give it away if you haven't seen it, but the "trick" is beautiful (visually).  I think the way they have incorporated that many girls makes them stand out in a huge way.  I also know that they've won visual at BOA SA last year with the same visual team, so it wouldn't surprise me if they add a lot of visuals to the wind players.

I think this could be a show that we as fans visually overlook but stands out to judges

The Reagan ballad is by far the best moment of the season for me so far and their vocalist is INSANE.  I would venture that she is the best vocalist I've hear in a marching show, that include Avon, Bell, Woodlands and Cedar Ridge (all known one time or another for their vocalists).  The Reagan vocalist is incredible, and adds so much depth to the music.

I'm thinking vocalists are becoming the new "narration" for designers trying to find a new layer to project their concept to the audience.  Though where narration has gradually gone out of style for being too cliche and self-indulgent, I really hope vocalists continue to catch on and are used in new and exciting ways....as long as the shows aren't built completely around them to the point where it becomes like a super bowl halftime show.

I'm thinking vocalists are becoming the new "narration" for designers trying to find a new layer to project their concept to the audience.  Though where narration has gradually gone out of style for being too cliche and self-indulgent, I really hope vocalists continue to catch on and are used in new and exciting ways....as long as the shows aren't built completely around them to the point where it becomes like a super bowl halftime show.

I would have to disagree. I think marching "band" should stick to mainly instruments. An occasional voice over or maybe a hint of singing is ok, but to me this year, Reagan just has a little too much singing for me. They sound great, and the singer is wonderful, but it just seems to be a bit excessive for a "band" show.

I would have to disagree. I think marching "band" should stick to mainly instruments. An occasional voice over or maybe a hint of singing is ok, but to me this year, Reagan just has a little too much singing for me. They sound great, and the singer is wonderful, but it just seems to be a bit excessive for a "band" show.

I understand your view, but band is constantly evolving. I have been watching bands for over 50 years now and have seen a lot of changes. I remember when everyone marched military style and and played marches. They marched up and down the field, end zone to end zone, doing counter-marches over and over with very little variation band to band. Some just played better than others and marched cleaner. By today's standards, it is boring. There have been so many changes over the years and some I hated at first. But, I decided to be open-minded and see just what it may add to the performance. Not everyone will tastefully use narration or vocal work, but some absolutely do and produce shows that are some of my lifetime favorites. Give it a chance in general, but you don't have to like the ones that are just poorly implemented or just not to your liking. Like it or not, it's here to stay.

Also agreed about Cedar Ridge 2013 - the Moon River was absolutely stunning and generally I enjoy a singer. Haltom also had a really nice singer in their La Nouba show many years ago. This year's Reagan is a great show , but it has just way too much singing for my personal taste. I think the vocals are wonderful but when I watched the show from Conroe, I was getting a bit annoyed at certain parts where I wanted to hear the band shine because they are amazing... but then the singing would start again.

I had a list of 11 "locks" for San Antonio just based on the regionals season.  Now that it's confirmed that Bowie has opted out of San Antonio this year, I'm at 10.  So of the bands I see fighting for those 2 slots, the one mystery to me this year is Round Rock. I've heard next to nothing about their show.  Have any of you seen it?  Do they easily grab slot 11 leaving everyone else to fight for slot 12?  I'm very curious about their show!

I had a list of 11 "locks" for San Antonio just based on the regionals season. Now that it's confirmed that Bowie has opted out of San Antonio this year, I'm at 10. So of the bands I see fighting for those 2 slots, the one mystery to me this year is Round Rock. I've heard next to nothing about their show. Have any of you seen it? Do they easily grab slot 11 leaving everyone else to fight for slot 12? I'm very curious about their show!

Can you post your list?

Can you post your list?

Sure!  This list is in no particular order and my methodology is based on bands I've seen and/or placements/scores at the various BOA regionals in Texas thus far:

Hebron

Reagan

Flower Mound

Marcus

Johnson

Leander

the Woodlands

LD Bell

Cedar Park

Vandegrift

Every band on the list has finished top 3 in a BOA regional this year with the exception of LD Bell and Cedar Park who've placed 4th.  I really feel like it's a dog fight for the last 2 spots, but based on the 4th place finishes, there could be a surprise/upset with LD Bell or Cedar Park.  I've put them as locks due to their history and because frankly, Cedar Park's show blew me away last year so I'm hoping they'll be just as amazing by BOA San Antonio. But that's why I'm so curious about Round Rock's show--I usually have them on my list for finals and I've heard/seen almost nothing about them this year so far. I can't wait to see their show!

I know I am a homer, but I really liked how Flower Mound used vocals last year.  The floating head box opened and they were just singing notes.  No word phrases that had any linguistic understanding but a near perfect companion to the music being performed on the field.  It was like the choir were playing instruments themselves.

Bands that I think got cast aside because of early scores, but that I think could come back to really bite:

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Dripping Springs

Friendswood

LD Bell

The Woodlands

I think they all have fantastic show designs, just gonna come down to polishing them and maxing them out.