Brazoswood HS

Friendswood HS

Westlake HS

Vista Ridge HS

Coppell HS

Austin HS

Cy-Fair HS

How do you think Clements will place?

Surprised more people don't have Cy-Fair as even a bubble school after their strong performance at Area Finals. Those kids keep getting better and better. Then again, there are a TON of really good bands at State this year, especially with Area D expanding to the new Area H. One thing's for sure though, this year is going to be intense and not very much is guaranteed for a lot of these bands.

"Bubble Bands (11th-17th)

In order of my opinion

Duncanville (in for finals)

Woodlands (most likely in finals)

LD Bell (close call)

North Shore (close call)

Coppell (close call)

Vista Ridge (close call)

SFA (bubble)

TWCP (bubble)

7th-10th

Keller (probably too high up, 9th or 10th is probably more accurate but they could get 7th)

Round Rock

Leander

Berkner

5th and 6th

Bowie

Vandegrift

3rd and 4th

Marcus

Ronald Reagan

1st-2nd (only one that I don't have an order for)

Flowermound

Hebron"

What do you think about Westlake? They beat out Vista Ridge at Area.

Keep in mind that 3 of the 5 judges had Vista ahead of Westlake in both prelims and finals.  One judge HEAVILY discounted Vista in both rounds, and that is why they were 4th instead of 3rd.  It looks to me like his scores in Finals were heavily influenced by performance order.

Keep in mind that 3 of the 5 judges had Vista ahead of Westlake in both prelims and finals.  One judge HEAVILY discounted Vista in both rounds, and that is why they were 4th instead of 3rd.  It looks to me like his scores in Finals were heavily influenced by performance order.

Same happened with Cy-Fair from what I saw.

Clements is very interesting this year. On one hand, their music is very superior. They've been getting high music scores throughout this season. On the other hand, everyone at the SMC can flat out play. And their marching in terms of cleanness is pretty dirty compared to a lot of the other bands here. We'll see. It all depends on how much they are able to clean in these next couple of weeks marching wise. A lot of bands step it up after area, big time. I hope they do well! 

Clements is very interesting this year. On one hand, their music is very superior. They've been getting high music scores throughout this season. On the other hand, everyone at the SMC can flat out play. And their marching in terms of cleanness is pretty dirty compared to a lot of the other bands here. We'll see. It all depends on how much they are able to clean in these next couple of weeks marching wise. A lot of bands step it up after area, big time. I hope they do well!

Thanks that means a lot, we're doing our best to get as clean as we can get before next Tuesday, when it all matters

I was there for prelims and left right before they went on in finals. I honestly had them first but could understand second and justify third. Fourth and lower surprised me, to be honest. They were dirty, but I thought one of the bands that beat them was visually dirtier. Their visual and music books were without a doubt the toughest of the day. I'm still predicting them in for Tuesday, but I'm a little more wary seeing that the judges aren't responding to them that well. They're known for cleaning late game, and I hope they live up this year - their ballad in particular is a treat

Surprised more people don't have Cy-Fair as even a bubble school after their strong performance at Area Finals. Those kids keep getting better and better. Then again, there are a TON of really good bands at State this year, especially with Area D expanding to the new Area H. One thing's for sure though, this year is going to be intense and not very much is guaranteed for a lot of these bands.

I was just about to say^. Watch out for Cy-Fair. They aren't really on anybody's radar, but I think they will surprise. Really, REALLY excited to see where they can take this years show. They've got as good of a chance as Coppell, Hendrickson, Westlake, and Vista IMO.

Cy-Fair are the very first performers in 2016 6A State. I think that's the main reason that many are discounting them. They would be pretty dangerous to look at, and would have a strong chance at an upset to make Finals, but their extremely early performance time unfortunately dims their chances. I think the strongest contender for Finals from Area E is SFA, with their later performance time and clean show.

"Bubble Bands (11th-17th)

In order of my opinion

Duncanville (in for finals)

Woodlands (most likely in finals)

LD Bell (close call)

North Shore (close call)

Coppell (close call)

Vista Ridge (close call)

SFA (bubble)

TWCP (bubble)

7th-10th

Keller (probably too high up, 9th or 10th is probably more accurate but they could get 7th)

Round Rock

Leander

Berkner

5th and 6th

Bowie

Vandegrift

3rd and 4th

Marcus

Ronald Reagan

1st-2nd (only one that I don't have an order for)

Flowermound

Hebron"

What do you think about Westlake? They beat out Vista Ridge at Area.

Duncanville, Bell and Coppell, all beat Keller in prelims at Area. It is close for all the Area B schools. Any one (or all) can make it. Keller will do great at BOA with the GE element, but I think at UIL, one or more of the other 3 will do better and we may see Keller becoming a close call.

Theyre a very good band and probably has been the best and most consistent UIL band for 20 years now. The only thing is, that history doesn't make them better than anyone in finals. In my opinion, they just aren't as clean or good as who I placed in my top five. I think they might splash in at 7th-9th range (I've changed my rankings since that post). But I would just be a little surprised if they were any higher than that. And with the Keller comment, the reason I have them separated from the rest of the group is because they weren't clean when they won. And the rest of them were, so what's gonna happen when they clean up this week? They'll move a little further ahead. That's just my thinking. That's also why I think Hebron is the favorite to take state, because their closer was weak compared to the rest of their show and they took prelims by tie breaker and was a centimeter behind flomo in finals. I really don't see how flomo can get any cleaner besides a few individual things here and there, so hebron has more room to grow. I don't know what will happen, just my opinion

Duncanville has been to state every year since 1988, and they consistently make the finals. (Except in 2012) I see them on everyones predictions to make finals this year. Why do you all think they wont be in the 1st -5th place instead of 6th to 12th?

Personally, I would have them in the bottom half strictly because the top half bands have really raised the bar in the past few years and the competition for the top half has continually risen. Many of the bands that have been making it for years are finding themselves getting passed up by newcomers that are racing to the top. Some bands just years ago weren't major players and now they are battling their way into the finals and to the top. The Grand National finals is easier to make than the State 6A finals and I would say that many of the top 2 Area finalists from most areas would have a good chance in making the Grand National finals and in some areas, the top 3 or 4 would likely be locks for it.

I wish Duncanville the best, but the top half of the 6A finals is looking to be the toughest yet and making the finals at all is going to be a major feat. I am guessing we may have 1 or 2 make it that normally do not or haven't before, and the same that normally do, but do not this time.

One thing I am noticing for Flower Mound this year (and this has been all year) is their very precise marching.  The lines and spacing seem perfect to me.  I know I am a homer and an untrained eye, but look at how the shadows line up when they are marching.  From what I understand about UIL judges, they really like great spacing and solid lines.

I don't have a prediction other than I think an LISD band will win state :)

...this from "FloMoParent".  Not enough eye rolls in the world for this.