Lonestar Classic 2016 Drumline Predictions?

Expect to see Vandy and Cedar Park right back up at the top, Flowermound ousting Hebron in the marching category. I expect to see John horn slip, a rise from Berkner. Going back to FM and Hebron, from my understanding Hebron had a lot of Graduating seniors, hopefully the new group can oust the last, I personally think this year was a break out year but it won't stay that way for long. Just my opinion, I'm most likely dead wrong. I've been out of the hs drumline loop for quite a while but I've gone to lonestar every year and have understanding of staff changes and all of that

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Would imagine d1 red will be another 3 way race between Coppell, Highland Park and Newman Smith. Hebron looks good to take marching and Vandegrift and Vista Ridge seem like good bets for d1 silver, assuming Cedar Park skips due to gnats. Look out for Plano East and Richland as well

Richland isn't going this year....they won the Percussive Arts Society's Ensemble competition and were invited to perform at PASIC in Indianapolis.

• 1 month later...

http://lonestarclassic-dlc.com/schedule

Schedule posted above. Marching doesn't look too competitive, will likely come down to returning champions Hebron and perennial powerhouse Flower Mound.

SS1 Silver has reigning Caldwell Cup winners (highest score across all classes) Vandegrift returning, Vista Ridge and Plano East, with 2015 SS1 Red Champions Coppell moving up. Would imagine those 4 will be joined in finals by Cedar Ridge or maybe Westlake?? (i have no idea how good they are, have they ever been to this contest?) 

SS1 Red has Newman Smith and Highland Park returning, alongside 2015 finalists Springtown. Wylie also returns, having been quite competitive in the past, as well as 2015 SS2 Red champions Keller Central and 2015 SS2 Silver champions Haltom. Pflugerville, Aledo and McCallum might be able to make some noise as well. For finals I'm thinking Smith, Highland Park, Haltom, Aledo and Keller Central, but we'll see. This is a tight group. 

SS2 Silver is looking quite competitive. Chisholm Trail stands out to me as the likely winner, but Azle pulled off the Caldwell Cup win a few years back and Lake Ridge, Lake Dallas, Forney, Plano West, Frisco, Granbury, Klein and McKinney North (among others) have all been competitive in recent years. This could end up going a number of ways.

SS2 Red is looking wide open, as Granbury and Keller Central have both moved up (Keller Central probably shouldn't have been there in the first place.) Maybe R.L. Turner will be able to pull this one off???

should be exciting!

Sad to see so few in the Marching division. Hebron, I believe, has a new drumline director this year, and a relatively small battery based on what I saw at BOA (5 bass/4 snares/3 tenors). Flower Mound is young - only 4 seniors in their drumline, all in the front ensemble (watch out for them next year....).

Yes it is sad to see.  The marching drumline shows are a real treat.  I guess the overlap of learning a big time BOA show and then a Marching drumline show has hurt this competition. 

I really wish Marcus could compete, I think they have the strongest LISD drumline this year. Wylie has done a fantastic job this year, they also have the same source music as Hebron does. Flomo has the most snares, that's the only thing that differs in size compared to the rest of the schools. I think Marcus has 4 quads, 5 snares. All have five basses. I know that Hebron currently has 4 snares but pictures on their twitter page (@hebrondrums) showed that they had five until a few weeks or something into the school year. No clue what happened there, I'll try to catch some parents in the stands tomorrow and ask. They got a new percussion director two years ago, the only school in LISD in the past like five years to get a new percussion director. The Colony got a new percussion director this year, I don't know who but that is also something I'll search around for.

If this goes at all like HEB did, Hebron will win with flying colors possibly by one of the biggest margins we've seen. BUT, Flowermound will have cleaned up by then and most likely will close the gap. Im still picking Hebron to win everything except cymbals (obviously) and maybe basses, snares if Hebrons snares are not together.

Vandegrift will easily win their decision, only competition is one of the other schools from the south.

I really wish Marcus could compete, I think they have the strongest LISD drumline this year. Wylie has done a fantastic job this year, they also have the same source music as Hebron does. Flomo has the most snares, that's the only thing that differs in size compared to the rest of the schools. I think Marcus has 4 quads, 5 snares. All have five basses. I know that Hebron currently has 4 snares but pictures on their twitter page (@hebrondrums) showed that they had five until a few weeks or something into the school year. No clue what happened there, I'll try to catch some parents in the stands tomorrow and ask. They got a new percussion director two years ago, the only school in LISD in the past like five years to get a new percussion director. The Colony got a new percussion director this year, I don't know who but that is also something I'll search around for.

If this goes at all like HEB did, Hebron will win with flying colors possibly by one of the biggest margins we've seen. BUT, Flowermound will have cleaned up by then and most likely will close the gap. Im still picking Hebron to win everything except cymbals (obviously) and maybe basses, snares if Hebrons snares are not together.

Vandegrift will easily win their decision, only competition is one of the other schools from the south.

One of Hebron's snare drummers was struck down by a wrist injury early in the season. I think they'll be in fine shape to defend their title.

Marching Results

Plano 83.something

Hebron 89.6

Flomo 90.4

In my opinion, Hebron should have won by flying colors but I'm not a judge sooooo.

I'm in agreement with you there. Maybe judges heard cleanliness issues, but Hebron was just on a different level, both in terms of musicality and intensity.

I'm in agreement with you there. Maybe judges heard cleanliness issues, but Hebron was just on a different level, both in terms of musicality and intensity.

I also think so too. Not trying to discredit FloMo though. I just think Hebron had the energy and performance level in their finals run that not alot of other groups had.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Hebron isn't even that much younger than Flowermound. They're both surprisingly young but from scouring some band parents I learned that they only have two seniors in the battery, which isn't too little but that's dandy. I completely agree with the energy statement I think that's why I'm so high off of Hebron right now because no one had half the energy they had. They had RIDICULOUS pit runs and some pretty darn hard stuff in the battery, probably not the hardest of the day but it was still very difficult, quite a bit harder than the other two in their division. I'm sticking with the prelims results because if you win four out of the five captions you should not be losing finals, especially after winning prelims by 3.22 points. Don't get me wrong Flomo was INCREDIBLE as always, but we have a different kind of monster in hebron now.

Another note, the judges need to be fined or something for giving hebron the cymbal caption. That's extremely disrespectful to give it to them and not Plano.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Hebron isn't even that much younger than Flowermound. They're both surprisingly young but from scouring some band parents I learned that they only have two seniors in the battery, which isn't too little but that's dandy. I completely agree with the energy statement I think that's why I'm so high off of Hebron right now because no one had half the energy they had. They had RIDICULOUS pit runs and some pretty darn hard stuff in the battery, probably not the hardest of the day but it was still very difficult, quite a bit harder than the other two in their division. I'm sticking with the prelims results because if you win four out of the five captions you should not be losing finals, especially after winning prelims by 3.22 points. Don't get me wrong Flomo was INCREDIBLE as always, but we have a different kind of monster in hebron now.

Another note, the judges need to be fined or something for giving hebron the cymbal caption. That's extremely disrespectful to give it to them and not Plano.

I am a snare drummer from Hebron, we are good friends with the other LISD drumlines (FloMo, Marcus) and we are very happy to have put out such a moving performance. Sure, probably all of our group would've preferred first place, but when it comes down to it we had a lot of freshmen and rookies in our group this year, (12!!) and we were still able to put out a show that the crowd enjoyed. I personally am a sophomore this year, and will be Hebron's center snare next year, and we hope to progressively keep putting out more music for people to enjoy. 

Thanks for the kind words y'all. We as a group really appreciate it. Also, our drumline instructor went to Plano's drumline and gave the cymbal caption award to them. They really did deserve it. Until next year... :)

I'm very curious to see how next year will pan out considering that you two both had relatively young schools this year. Flomo will be incredible in their battery next year because they aren't losing anyone, I guess we will just have to wait a year to see how Hebron responds. And with that I put up my jacket and shrink back into my normal job. See y'all next year!