6th - 94.65 - Leander H.S., TX

7th - 91.85 - Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

8th - 91.50 - Wando H.S., SC

9th - 91.30 - Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX

10th - 91.05 - Castle H.S., IN

11th - 91.00 - Homestead H.S., IN

12th - 90.05 - Marian Catholic H.S., IL

13th - 89.45 - Dobyns-Bennett H.S., TN

Way to go Cedar Park! And I was not trying to bash Carmels win. They were actually my favorite of the top 6, I really wasn't feeling Avon personally. Congrats on #3! It seems every time Carmel wins it's met with some sort of controversy XD

They are finally tied with avon for number of championships. I just feel bad for Avon. After being 2nd last year, and then to win semis and come as close as they could get, just heartbreaking. However, they are still a young program. Can't wait for them to come with a vengeance next year!

Friday Prelims Class 1A

1. Williamstown, KY - 70.90 [ADVANCED TO SEMIS]
2. Milton Union, OH - 67.80 [ADVANCED TO SEMIS]
3. Whitesboro, TX - 66.10
4. La Salle, OH - 65.05
5. Indian Hill, OH - 64.00
6. Licking Valley, OH - 60.95
7. Monrovia, IN - 60.90
8. Murphysboro, IL - 60.60
9. South Point, OH - 60.55
10. East Clinton, OH - 56.15
11. Herscher, IL - 52.90

Thursday Prelims Class 1A

1. Adair County, KY - 83.25 [ADVANCED TO SEMIS]
2. Archbishop Alter, OH - 71.35 [ADVANCED TO SEMIS]
3. Crestwood, OH - 67.10
4. Carroll, OH - 65.05
5. Norton, OH - 64.00
6. Triton Central, IN - 60.20
7. Logan Elm, OH - 57.05
8. Bishop Fenwick, OH - 52.95
9. Carlisle, OH - 51.95
10. Ada, OH - 51.30
11. Southwestern, IN - 48.05

I really don't understand some of this scoring and im not trying to be bitter.

It looks like Leander's separation from other top contenders in finals was a much lower GE score.

So musically and visually they stood up well but got outscored a lot there?

I guess if anything I would've believed the opposite. Avon and Carmel scores very high as well when despite a great field I didn't see that there was any one band that deserved that high. Congratulations to all bands I'm just kind of miffed about a lot of these top 6 placements and scores. Too many to list them all really and too tired to do so.

I feel for Avon, that's a tough way to go down...

This might be the dumbest Grand Nationals I've ever seen, mostly because of the grand champion. Carmel is fantastic. But how in the world can you give the music and visual caption, the more skillful captions to Avon and NOT have them win? They just proved that they were better than Carmel! Carmel won because they had a better show design. That frustrates the heck out of me

But Carmel couldn't have won if they didn't keep up with Avon in captions. And considering Carmel beat Broken Arrow with a caption that weighed even less, I wouldn't say Avon was automatically "better". GE is incorporated so bands do their best to be creative and innovative every year. It keeps the activity fun and entertaining. And Lord knows how hard it is to strike lighting in a bottle and make a championship show, but thats what Carmel did (albeit I think Flower Mound struck better) I guess I can't speak without bias, as I really did not enjoy Avons show but to each his own.

What was the carmel controversy in 2012? i can't remember what happened??? please help

Oh gosh, all these years run together now with how long I've been doing this. I think that was the year Carmel won, except basically every fan not from Indiana thought Broken Arrow should've won because either the ME or MI judge hijacked the score table with an unorthodox deeper spread...In other words, they increased the value/weight of their caption by widening the breadth of points top to bottom while ranking BA uncharacteristically low at the same time.  It dropped their score by something like half a point lower than what most people assumed it should've been, which, with how the close it was between 1st and 2nd, ended up costing BA the Eagle.

I still forget that Carmel actually won that year....I had to remind myself when typing this that BA didn't actually win (.....but they totally did).