2016 Nationals

Question...will preliminary scores/rankings for today be released this evening or do we have to wait until tomorrow night to see both days?

I know in a way even though they both are in place to create semifinals and finals they are kind of viewed as different competitions to themselves so I thought there was a chance that may be shown this evening, can anybody answer this?  Would just be fun to see some information thus far...

To add on to what was said above, I'm watching online though so take with a grain of salt, no Texas bands are not weak at all.  The country REALLY did send its best this year.  Vista Murrieta would probably finish well into finals at BOA San Antonio.  One of the best California bands I have ever heard and that color guard is WOW, similar things about their in state peer Ayala.  Wando shrugged off last years weaker season and not only do I think they'll make finals, but I could see them pushing the top half.  Union and Owasso were both FANTASTIC, Unions show is stunning and Owasso performs the crap out of theirs.  Marian Catholic has a phenomenal show that came together last minute, per usual from them.  Homestead has a STUNNING visual program.  Dobyns Bennett, Castle, Bellevue West, and O'Fallon Township round out what I think is the best top 20 in BOA history. 

So yeah, more than a few VERY good bands will miss finals.  This is the hardest I've ever seen it to get into finals, pretty sure all of those would make it most other years. 

But also, I agree with the buzz that Leander is in the hunt, and Ronald Reagan and Claudia Taylor Johnson can muscle their way well into the top 6.  James Bowie and Cedar Park can make it in, just gotta have the show of their lives. 

Tomorrow is going to be incredibly stressful, but also INCREDIBLY exciting. 

Schedule: http://www.musicforall.org/resources/fall-results/2016/2016-grand-national-championships-semi-finalists

James Bowie placed between 23-30th in prelims overall. The rest of #TeamTexas scored in the Top 22.

The finals pre-draw is also out. Leander will likely perform 7th or 8th in finals, depending on CTJ making the top 6 or not.

If you look at the schedule, you can infer it. It always follows a pattern.

To advance to semi-finals:

- The top 11 placing bands from each day advance.

- Then the next 8 highest score bands regardless of day advance

- If not enough bands advance to satisfy the condition that two bands per class per day are represented in semifinals, then the highest ranking bands in each class advance. 

With these conditions met, you can use the rules of semi-finals scheduling to tell where a band is ranking, groupwise.

- The first bands are always class qualifiers. Because the first two rules advance 30 bands, then the first x bands (# of bands that make semis - 30) are the class qualifiers. So this year, there are 6 qualifiers on class representation.

- The next four bands are half of the bands ranked 23-30 overall from the combined prelims scores from both days.

- The next 22 bands are the top 22 ranking bands from combined prelims.

- The last four bands are the other half of the 23-30 bands.

With this, you can tell that there are some surprises, like Ayala and Bowie only placing in the 23-30 range.

My personal hunch here is that there was bad score management on both days. Thursday started off with weak bands, which inflated the scores of stronger bands. Friday started off with a high bubble band for finals, which probably made the judges conservative and kept scores deflated across the board. This, then creates a problem when you combine both days, as the bands are scored on effectively different scales.