Best Moments of 2015 (so far)

RONALD REAGAN DEFINITELY!!! It was a huge surprise when they took GE in Prelims AND Finals at Conroe. They also tied CTJ for visual. I honestly thought Reagan was much cleaner visually but that's just my opinion. Their ballad>every other ballad in existence. Seriously a spectacular show with a lot of different elements. Around the end of their ballad... well there is a bit of an awesome surprise that I don't want to ruin for anybody, but it's crazy. Conroe was an amazing competition to go see this year.

RONALD REAGAN DEFINITELY!!! It was a huge surprise when they took GE in Prelims AND Finals at Conroe. They also tied CTJ for visual. I honestly thought Reagan was much cleaner visually but that's just my opinion. Their ballad>every other ballad in existence. Seriously a spectacular show with a lot of different elements. Around the end of their ballad... well there is a bit of an awesome surprise that I don't want to ruin for anybody, but it's crazy. Conroe was an amazing competition to go see this year.

I love Reagan and Hebron's ballad so so much! (But Hebron's a bit better in my opinion)

I love Reagan and Hebron's ballad so so much! (But Hebron's a bit better in my opinion)

Really?? Haha I like Hebrons Ballad but there is just something about Reagan's ballad that makes it simply perfect. I actually heard they are adding another element to their show (mostly the ballad), but I'm not sure what.

I haven't seen enough shows to really make any sort of declaration of what I think is best, but I've definitely noticed a few things I really like. As I've already discussed a couple times, I really like Hebron's ballad. Fun, sultry, whatever you want to call it. As for Reagan, while I've been a bit more reserved with my praise for them overall, I do enjoy the music at the very beginning of their show, because it reminds me of when Reagan was dominant. I also like the visual moment created during the big hit in the ballad, when the guard girls come out in white dresses. That ocean of dresses really popped under the Friday night lights. And others... hmmm... I'm really liking the jazzy music in Leander's unfinished closer. It's just so quirky and different and exciting. I also love The Woodlands' ballad this year. It's very anxious and propulsive, and gloriously, gloriously symphonic. It reminds me of Lawrence Central's ballad in La Rosa, in so far as it also accelerates part-way through and gets your heart racing before it climaxes. I'll throw in Wakeland as well, even though there isn't just one moment that stands out. Rather, I think the entire show stands out. Lots of good things in their future.

Outside of Texas, I'll throw in the very beginning of Avon's show. The desolate chords from There Will Be Blood and the woodwind choir create a really eerie, fascinating atmosphere. Is anybody here old enough to have played Final Fantasy VII? Avon's opening reminds me of it for whatever reason.

Is anybody here old enough to have played Final Fantasy VII? Avon's opening reminds me of it for whatever reason.

I see what you mean. It's the low piano note over and over again that reminds me of the Sephiroth scenes. Not One Winged Angel, but scenes where some portion of the past plot is being revealed and Sephiroth was just there slightly before.

One moment for me was at the Flower Mound end of camp performance.  My daughter graduated last year so we don't have anyone in band now, but we couldn't stay away, like many other parents who had their kids graduate in attendance.  I was wondering what FMHS would do after Grand Nats last year. I was wondering if there would be a new direction, if there would be a sense of accomplishment at what was done.

I was blown away.

The band took what was learned in Indy and are building on it.  There was power, there was finesse, there was passion, there was precision, there was speed, and there was variation.

- Cedar Park's Tuba feature of "In the Hall of the Mountain King"

- Leander's opener (and really their whole show)

- Ronald Reagan's ballad

- Hendrickson's whole show (though their flags were spot on)

- Seven Lakes' Water Night ballad

- Conroe's show....just due to the mindblitz of it all.

- Clear Falls' Baritone soloists playing Firebird on top of the main theme from "How to Train Your Dragon"

- Aledo's ending at BOA Austin (it may have just been the end of their ballad).

I actually laughed out loud at Flowermounds show. It's kinda querky and I love the banner. I really like the music, especially the opening. To me it's actually kinda similar to their show last year and in a way like Hebron 2013 where no one really knows what the show is about (it goes from clouds to saxophones to ears?). Regardless it's shaping to be a GE monster in SA. I'm gonna go back to my original statement and say that I still am in love with Leander. There's so much potential in that group. And I finally saw Hebron. Geez. Just geez. To be honest the opener is kinda lacking compared to the ballad and trombone feature in the closer, and the opener is insane. The ballad is so dang perfect. I can't wait to see where it's at a month from now when they're in Indianapolis. And Reagan. Oh man Reagan. This year is just a work out for my spinal chord. I can't choose anymore.

to this day I still think my favorite show I've watched is definitley Leander's. When I was watching their show live I felt so engaged with the performers and it was so exciting. Everything about their show it just amazing to me! Music, drill, the concept...you name it! They're going to do really well this year no doubt about it. I remember when they weren't as big, but they've definitley climbed in the ranks. I know that's been said before, but...no harm in saying it again  :D

I actually laughed out loud at Flowermounds show. It's kinda querky and I love the banner. I really like the music, especially the opening. To me it's actually kinda similar to their show last year and in a way like Hebron 2013 where no one really knows what the show is about (it goes from clouds to saxophones to ears?). Regardless it's shaping to be a GE monster in SA. I'm gonna go back to my original statement and say that I still am in love with Leander. There's so much potential in that group. And I finally saw Hebron. Geez. Just geez. To be honest the opener is kinda lacking compared to the ballad and trombone feature in the closer, and the opener is insane. The ballad is so dang perfect. I can't wait to see where it's at a month from now when they're in Indianapolis. And Reagan. Oh man Reagan. This year is just a work out for my spinal chord. I can't choose anymore.

To help understand Flower Mound's show, google images search  surrealism art and you will see many of the things you saw in the show (eggs, clouds, umbrellas, ear, "this is not a saxophone", red dress, clocks, eyes, and...)  thus the title: Surreal.

It's called "Surreal" and it's about surrealism (the art movement).

As an aside, if their band identity is bringing art movements to life I will have absolutely zero qualms. Fantastic and sophisticated shows in the past few years. 2013, for example, was underrated in my view. 

Not to derail this thread since it is about 2015 ... 2013's "FloModern" was a very pretty show - first time they were in white uniforms - but I think the issue was that the music was pretty minimalistic, which isn't good for a marching band show, and why they likely finished 18th at San Antonio prelims and missed finals to a large extent.

Since I can't delete this ( I made a post by accident ) I might as well say something regarding Flower Mound.

I read earlier, is Flower Mound using a box in their show like last year?

Yes. Last year it had a bassoon choir. This year, it has a singing choir. The Arlington crowd oohed and aahed when that box opened up in the last part of the show.