Literally got their in time to catch the last 5 shows.  First, I've not been exposed a great deal to Frisco Centennial but super impressed. I believe they are a 5A program so they would have the opportunity to go state this year. Really nice nuance between crescendo and subtle passages that you typically only hear from the top programs. Their sound reminds me of Bowie to a certain extent and that is a compliment. I personally had them ahead of PESH and close to Coppell. I think that the PESH show has a lot of room to grow. They are playing an up tempo, very demanding show similar to what you might see from Hebron or Cedar Park.  I think they could contend later in the year as they tighten things up.

Hebron only played roughly 5-6 minutes of their show but it was very impactful and the crowd erupted.  The opener is typical Hebron but in a good way.  The show is called "360" and you can see why very quickly. Combinations of flying wind and brass passages while marching in circles both big and small.  The beginning of the show is very ambitious having sections start simultaneously on opposite ends of the field and there were slight timing issues in the first few seconds.  I could see this becoming a bigger issue in the domed facilities. The second section is probably more of a sax solo with an accompaniment than a ballad but OMG it is good.  Jazzy feel with some really nice colorguard dance moments. I'm really surprised I haven't seen any videos posted yet (hint) because this show looks like it could be big.

Hebron's show is definitely good, and I hope that they can keep up the great work. Sometimes I feel like Hebron isn't SUPER strong visually, and that it's not as engaging visually as the music, I'm really excited to see them this week. I wonder how they'll do against Marcus and other great bands especially if they want to put out some of their closer this week. But I hope they can pull a win at Arlington.

I'm a Hebron Alum, as well, and every time I hear the ballad I wish I could still be marching with that incredible band. I know that there will be some surprises coming out this weekend in Arlington and that the show still has so much to be added but I cannot wait for Arlington- I think they'll pull a third year win for the DFW BOA competition. 

So I did some stalking and I came across multiple things on Twitter from this past weekends contest about Hebron. It's mostly all talk about the tenor solo in the ballad which makes me even more impatient for this Saturday.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

His Twitter page is a neverending hype train over the solo.

https://twitter.com/mirnoahkhan

I saw Marcus this past weekend at HEB, and they were really clean. In my opinion, though, their show wasn't very "exciting" GE wise compared to what you usually see from a band like Hebron, but they were what you expect from Marcus...beautiful sound and clean drill.

Im sure they will clean the show easily. In my opinion they are on a great track.. When i was in the band we usually waited to do body visuals till the end, and they already have tons of visuals at such an early time... all they got to do is clean, clean, clean and add the closer and im sure a preshow. Music wise every year it looks like they open up with crazy woodwind parts and every year is rocky but they do great at the end of the season. Mr. Sealy is a great director and the kids are all hyped for Nats im sure they will work their butts off.

I believe visuals will make or break this show. If they can pull of clean coordinated visuals they will be a very strong contender for the championship this Saturday. They'll also need to add more of their show but I'm confident that they are already doing that. These early October contests really set the stage for the end of the season so if Hebron can pull of the win this Saturday I think they'll have a very good chance at making top 5 at Nats

Circles are incredibly hard to clean and super easy to see when they are wrong. They are probably the highest exposure-difficulty combination form.

And there are tons and tons of them in this show.

I know that Hebron has the ability to do it by the end of the season, but he only band that I've ever seen that truly pulled off lots of circles throughout the show to an insane level was Bell's The Circle's Edge show in 2011. That show was an absolute visual masterpiece.

Found a video of Hebron's prelims performance at TOC shot from a group of students from another band. Lots of visible and audible reactions to the sax solo in the crowd haha. 

But if I want to hype Hebron for anything else, it's the REST of their saxophones. They're just nailing that technical feature at the beginning. They've got one of the best sax lines in BOA.

Do you think that Hebron's high musical capability will be able to pull it out against Marcus's clean but not so GE show at BOA Arlington?

I think at this point, it's anyone's game.

I don't find it necessarily fair to say "Marcus doesn't have a GE show." I too, thought this in high school, but over the years I've come to realize Marcus' GE years come from the elegance and overall complete package their shows carry. Its subtle stuff that all just brilliantly comes together as one product. Sure, its never LD Bell 2006 GE, but its gorgeous, its effective and when their shows work, they work. Another thing I've noticed about Marcus is that their shows are really designed with the dome in mind. See: 2012. Came across flat in Denton but once San Antonio came along... @#@$@%^^(U&*&

All that being said, I think Marcus is a favorite just for their consistency. But its not as sure fire as it once was; so many other bands, as we all know, are now surging up and the days of just Bell vs. Marcus vs. The Woodlands are obviously long gone. They will have to be entirely on lock to ward off Hebron and Round Rock

I think Hebron will come down to whether or not they have individual music and visual locked on. Last year as an ensemble they sounded immaculate on some of the hardest, off-the-page music books I've ever heard at BOA. However, upon a second listen, you can hear some individual music performance issues, especially in the high brass. I don't have the sheets from last year memorized, but if I had to guess, that, combined with some of their visual issues, prevented them from medaling at BOA and kept them from usurping a state title from the undefeated Marcus. I'm predicting that these two categories will either be their achilles heel or reward them greatly this season

I've seen both shows.. They are both excellent. I think its going to be very close. They should be proud either way, having two (now 3 with Flower Mound!) bands on this level in the same district is insane.

Good luck to everyone this weekend!