BOA Arlington Regional Schedule - Oct. 10

I'm pulling for a Hebron finish over Marcus at this regional. I will be traveling to the Allen Eagle Stadium this friday to watch their show at halftime and then traveling to BOA Arlington to see some of the finest bands in Texas. From what I've heard about the Hebron band, they have something really special over there this year. 

I would say that's because Marcus is the safe bet. As long as they're going to be as consistent as they're always known to be, they're going to be the favorite for a prediction, even if Hebron has won the DFW regional the last two years. Especially considering that Hebron, and Round Rock for that matter, can't peak early, Marcus is an even more attractive and safe choice.

I'm going in blind on some of this, but I do think after seeing some performances that we will see Marcus, Hebron, and Round Rock fighting for that top spot. I would say Marcus is the current favorite although I do believe Hebron and Round Rock have what it takes to pull ahead this Saturday. Round Rock has a very strong visual program however I'm not exactly a fan of their musical selections this year its a nice show for grand nats! Hebron's show and music is VERY impressive I think if the visuals are clean enough that we could see them contend for the title for the third straight year. I haven't seen Marcus, but I have heard great things about their show. LD Bell and Flower Mound seem like dark horses for this regional, but I definitely see them as a possible threat to breaking into top 3.

It's interesting to note that despite not hearing much about Marcus yet this year, the fact that Hebron is getting tons of attention and hype, and Hebron beating Marcus at Denton last year.....Marcus is still actually the favorite to win over Hebron at Arlington this year based on predictions.

True but more people have Hebron as 1st place than Marcus.

It's interesting to note that despite not hearing much about Marcus yet this year, the fact that Hebron is getting tons of attention and hype, and Hebron beating Marcus at Denton last year.....Marcus is still actually the favorite to win over Hebron at Arlington this year based on predictions.

Oddly enough, we're probably the least informed this year in a long while since we don't have the videos or online streaming to watch to form an informed opinion. I think we're just going more off of guesses, the opinions of others, and historical data. I've seen Round Rock and I can tell that they are a totally different band than in the past. They are cleaner and better than I've ever seen them before, especially this early. But, I haven't seen most of the top tier bands going to Arlington this weekend and have no idea how they would compare to them. Only seeing them head-to-head this weekend will give us any real comparison. For the 4 going to the Grand Nationals, I hope they are all having an killer start of their season.

I will make one prediction -- The finals are going to be fun to watch!

I forgot to mention that I got around to seeing Round Rock. I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents before preliminary competition concludes (when we get to see just how much in the dark we're going to be for San Antonio). I pretty much agree 100% with Knox on the show. Visual and visual GE should be strong throughout the season. But, like Knox, I also think that the beginning of the show is a little bit too drawn out, and I miss the sheer power of the brass of their old shows. That said, I do appreciate the newfound transparency in their ensemble sound. I just wish they could achieve it without sacrificing their power.

Also, I want to throw something out about color on the marching band field. For years, I've complained about how show designers often seem to completely ignore the fact that they're putting on a show atop a green field. I complain that they seem to choose their color palettes all willy-nilly, without any sort of forethought about what looks good with green. Yet, I'm beginning to think the opposite is just as much of a problem -- using the same colors every year because they look good with the green field. It seems to me that pink and purple are very much in vogue right now, and they look great on the field, but it's getting a little stale. Surely there are other colors that would work. And yes, it was the picture of Marcus at Arlington that reminded me of it. I'm sure they're great, it's just something I've noticed with several groups.

I got 9 out of 10 finalists right for this regional without ever having seen the shows, so I'm not sure the finalists were really that tough to predict. (Plus, the one I wasn't sure about was the one that didn't make finals.) I am, however, a little bit surprised to see Flower Mound on top. I would not have guessed that based on the video I saw. Then again, it has been a couple weeks. Plus, it was a video!

The thing I find most interesting is that Austin's top scorer, Round Rock, didn't crack the top 3 here. Seeing where they end up tonight could help a little bit with predictions for SA, although these are early regionals and so not always very reliable. And we still don't really have much of a way to compare these groups to the top groups at Conroe.

The performance captions are pretty much the reverse of what I would have expected based on what I've seen and heard, but it is what it is. I'm sure it was close. Anyway, congrats to FloMo on their first regional win!

Does this mean that FM, Hebron, and Marcus are well ahead of the groups from Austin? And not ahead of the groups from Conroe? I think I'm going to pass on SA predictions for the first time ever this year.