Concerning Richland, unless you saw their performance live, heard the judges tapes, and know what the judge was listening to at certain times to make them give that specific score, that's a pretty ridiculous accusation that a judge would slam a band because they just didn't like their show.  Every judge, should have their reason, regardless of if it is valid or not, to give the score they gave.  I will say that that score DOES stick out, but we don't know why they received it, and until we know, speculation about it doesn't help in any way.  

That's crazy that LD bell isn't moving on. I can't remember the last time that bell didn't advance. They're still a top notch program and deserve all the respect in the world.

I was there to watch everyone and I do have to say that marcus played their show almost to perfection. That's what they always do late in the season (2012 for example). Hebron's prelims performance wasn't as good as I would've expected it to be. I could imagine that was probably from heat, as it was easily in the 90's. But they came back and had an amazing finals performance. It was fantastic. I believe that if this was a BOA competition Hebron would've blown everyone out of the water. It was amazing. Flowermound also sounded really good, I can't wait to see them at Grand Nats!

Concerning Richland, unless you saw their performance live, heard the judges tapes, and know what the judge was listening to at certain times to make them give that specific score, that's a pretty ridiculous accusation that a judge would slam a band because they just didn't like their show.  Every judge, should have their reason, regardless of if it is valid or not, to give the score they gave.  I will say that that score DOES stick out, but we don't know why they received it, and until we know, speculation about it doesn't help in any way.  

Sorry not the way I meant it. Judging a band is subjective so while you might have two judges who like the way a band plays their music another judge might not and would score them lower. I wasn't saying that he didn't like the show so he slammed them, im saying that in his opinion he disagreed with how the music was being played.

Sorry not the way I meant it. Judging a band is subjective so while you might have two judges who like the way a band plays their music another judge might not and would score them lower. I wasn't saying that he didn't like the show so he slammed them, im saying that in his opinion he disagreed with how the music was being played.

This just shows how if one judge doesn't like a show then they can destroy a bands chance.

Oh well I guess we will just have to see how Richland does at BOA SA.

I agree the score is pretty suspect in comparison to the other two, but like I said, no idea what they were listening to at certain moments that made them score that way.  

When 2 scores are in the 900's and 1 in the 500 - it make one wonder "what exactly were they listening to". That can make or break a band's ranking. IMO: If there were multiple judges and if they would throw out the low and high, I suspect the scores would be closer in numbers as no judge would want their scores thrown out. This is a trend with UIL scoring all over the place but that's what comes with subjective scoring....... I'll be curious to see the rest of scores as they unfold.

I got to see the ordinals from finals. Here are some highlights:

-Marcus was first with 7 pts, swept 1s in visual.

-Hebron got two 1s in music, 2s in visual.

-Bell, Haltom and... Crap I forgot 6th place were separated by like 1 pt each.

-Bell had a 9 in either visual or music, forgot which.

Incredibly tight competition tonihjt!

I agree with Rubisco that it's definitely possible that Marcus and Hebron could switch places at state IF Hebron can manage to sweep 1s in music (which I definitely think is a possibility). But like I said early on, the visual strength Marcus has could be a real obstacle for Hebron if that doesn't happen (like it was at Area tonight). If Hebron could find a way to vastly improve visually between now to state, I think they would be the clear winner (and it would give them a huge boost at BOA as well). However, I don't know how much of a chance there is that that will happen. Marcus is just so dang good visually. Either way, I personally don't see any other band taking the gold and silver medals away from these two groups. They are just about unmatched in the areas UIL looks at. 

And congrats to Flower Mound on making state for the first time! That's awesome for them, and I won't be surprised in the slightest to see them make their first State Finals appearance as well! What a year this band is having! 

And what a lights out performance from Haltom tonight! If they perform like that and judging goes their way, they may actually have a shot at making state finals as well! VERY interested to see how they do. 

And as for LD Bell, I don't know what to say. That's just tough, I really feel bad for those kids. I personally would've thought Bell to be a state finals lock, and I certainly agree with the placement they received in prelims more so than in finals. I really appreciated that LD Bell parent's positive and classy reaction on the live blog, I wouldn't expect anything less from such a classy organization that has always had amazing parents and kids. Good luck to Bell at BOA!

Loved Haltom's show on the St. Louis webcast!  I don't think anyone's doubting Haltom, it's pretty surprising though to see a big name like LD Bell not advancing, just goes to show you have freakin crazy Area B's contest is  

Yep--changed my post...extremely tired...pardon me. *yawn* lol Area B is crazy and it should be interesting to see how the new rule about advancing bands plays out in two years. Easily could've had 5-6 go to State from B.

Yep--changed my post...extremely tired...pardon me. *yawn* lol Area B is crazy and it should be interesting to see how the new rule about advancing bands plays out in two years. Easily could've had 5-6 go to State from B.

I wasn't accusing you of anything, no worries! :) You and your child should be very proud!

I wasn't accusing you of anything, no worries! :) You and your child should be very proud!

Oh, I changed it before I read your response, so I was having Internet posting-regret. It's not that my OP was particularly bad...it wasn't. I just didn't want to sound whiny, which is how I feel atm. haha What an incredibly HOT late morning/afternoon it was today! Kudos to ALL bands who performed in that weird is-this-October-or-August? heat! We were all proudly clapping while sweating for you...and needless to say, band uniforms are being washed! *phew!*

Speaking of the weather, remember Area 2012 when it felt like freaking Antarctica? A few weeks ago I was expecting temperatures to be freezing cold this year, but NOPE, it was scorching hot this time around. A classic example of Texas being Texas... I bet the kids had "fun" performing in the heat. They all did a good job of toughing it out and performing through it though.

Speaking of the weather, remember Area 2012 when it felt like freaking Antarctica? A few weeks ago I was expecting temperatures to be freezing cold this year, but NOPE, it was scorching hot this time around. A classic example of Texas being Texas... I bet the kids had "fun" performing in the heat. They all did a good job of toughing it out and performing through it though.

Yes! It was misty, almost tiny little snow flakes, it felt like! Crazy! I've lived here all my life and still...it shocks me how completely different it can be from one year to the next! I had to admit that I never expected to be wearing shorts at a band contest at the end of October! I think it got to 92 degrees? Insanity!

Here's a question. Does a band HAVE. to go to state competition ? Do all states have and follow the same UIL rules?

No, there is nothing that explicitly forces you to go to Area nor State. For Area, you have to submit a letter of intent and pay the entrance fee. I believe you have to do the same for the State level.

If a qualifying band doesn't attend State for some reason or another (willfully or DQ), then the Alternate from that Area is qualified to attend in their place.