2014 BOA San Antonio Super-Regional Predictions

Jbl3770

Quick question, if every band that has made 4A and 5A finals in the past few cycles were to go to GNs including bands who make Finals at BOA, what do you guys think GN Semi's or Finals would look like?

Mine would be this

1. Broken Arrow

2. CTJ

3. Avon

4. Bowie

5. Leander

6. Tarpon Springs

7. Marcus

8. Marian Catholic

9. Carmel

10. Woodlands

11. Hebron

12. Cedar Ridge

As for the captions I have no idea, with non-texas bands being so clean, it might be hard to touch them visually, perhaps CTJ or Bowie could touch them. Music I have no idea, Broken Arrow is extremely strong this year, GE could be anyones game, I would expect CTJ or BA to take it.

With this being said, I hope at least one non-Texan powerhouse comes to BOASA next year, I really want to see how the likes of Avon, Carmel, Broken Arrow, and Tarpon Springs do in SA, it could cause some serious upsets. I believe Carmel came and won it in 2002, so we could see a non-Texan winner (I hope not). I feel like all these great bands going at once would cause a bloodbath. I'm pretty sure there are bands that are generally "finalist caliber", that wouldn't even make it to semis. 

With all that has happened this season who do y'all think makes the trip to Indianapolis next year? From Texas of course.

I'm 99% sure The Woodlands and James Bowie will be going. CTJ went in 2011, so it'll have been 4 years since their last trip - hopefully they go too. I've heard rumors that both Cedar Ridge and Round Rock are going back. I've also heard Hebron's been flirting with the idea for the last two seasons. Doubt all of these bands will go at once, but there will definitely be more representation than this year.

I'm 99% sure The Woodlands and James Bowie will be going. CTJ went in 2011, so it'll have been 4 years since their last trip - hopefully they go too. I've heard rumors that both Cedar Ridge and Round Rock are going back. I've also heard Hebron's been flirting with the idea for the last two seasons. Doubt all of these bands will go at once, but there will definitely be more representation than this year.

So my friend just told me that he was talking to some Bowie parents yesterday afternoon after prelims. Apparently their band director said they wont be going for the next couple of years due to their trip to London this year. I hope CTJ goes next year though!

My Recap Breakdown for Finals Everyone!  Some quick highlights before.  

Hebron 13th in Visual in finals.

I might be eating some Crow Mr. Rubisco, because those GE Music 1 Rankings are pretty wack, as is the whole Music Effect sub-caption 1 and 2 from finals.  

Marcus was 12th from the Music Effect 1 judge (ARE YOU KIDDING?) and 2nd from the Music Effect 2 Judge.  Flower Mound 14th in Music Effect 1, 4th in Music Effect 2.  James Bowie 1st from Music Effect 1, 7th from Music Effect 2, Johnson 1st and 6th.  Cedar Park was 2nd in Over Musical Effect.  Leander was 5th in Music Effect 1, and 13th in Music Effect 2.  Hebron wast 2nd and 9th.  LD Bell 4th and 12th.  HUGE disagreements here.  The Woodlands were 10th from both Music Effect Judges.  

Cedar Park ties for 2nd in GE with James Bowie.  

Very surprised at The Woodlands GE scores, I thought that along with Visual, they'd be pretty strong.  Interesting.  

Flower Mounds prelims to finals GE ordinals:

Music 1 - 2nd/14th

Music 2 - 7th/4th 

Visual - 4th/12th

They didn't even win one in prelims, and won overall effect, and then were at the bottom and close in 2 in finals.  Oi Vey.  

Leander was 1st to 13th in all captions.  Wow.  1st in Visual Effect was VERY well deserved in my eyes, well done!  After two disappointing near misses last year, this has to be some insanely good validation.  Congrats Leander, I think everyone knew you would be up there, and you were for sure.  Will be remembered for a LONG time!  

I might do prelims....I dunno.  I don't know if my mind could break that all down. We'll see, anyways here you go!  One of the craziest all over the place recaps I've seen.  Had Leander not gotten that Music Effect 2 score....I dunno.  Hebron was pretty consistently towards the top besides Visual.  Anyways, congrats to everyone!  I'll say it again, the best marching contest I've ever watched.  

20141102-9g6-71kb.jpg

See, this is the stuff I always remember when everyone brings the knives out for UIL judging inconsistency. The BOA system is often just as kooky. Whatever system you're working in, the judges' job is just tough. Although I will say that whoever had Marcus 12th in Music GE should probably be fired. Just......no. 

I heard that CTJ planned to go this year - but did not due to the cost of the Tournament of Roses parade cost in Jan. I believe they are going next year - the Woodlands plan to go every non-UIL year so I would expect them to attend as well. I have also heard that Spring is kicking around the idea of returning in 2015.

Next year should be a large Texas year at Grand Nationals.

Really enjoyed Leander's show.  I've been hyping Johnson all season, but Leander....I read all the raving about it over the past few weeks, but I'd just sort of written it off as just another "great show", of which I've seen several this year.  But honestly, and I know I gushed about it plenty on the blog this weekend, you really need to see it.  I wouldn't compare it to spellbinding performances like Reagan '03/'05 and Bell '06/'07 but I would honestly put it in my top 5 shows that I've seen in the past 5 years.

Man, I am too good. ;)

On a serious note, it really looks like the judges came in and tried to be as unbiased as possible and didn't judge based on rep. Cedar Park in 3rd for both music GE judges? I would never have expected that, so congrats to them. It seems though that the MGE judges disagreed on everything else. I guess they kind of balanced each other out though? One low and one high score for each of the top bands pretty much. It definitely seemed like GE scores increased as the night went on too. If you just glaze down the GE column on the right hand side, it almost uniformly increases.  Performance order definitely played a pretty big role. 

And like everyone else, I'm shocked at Flower Mound's placement. For a band to win GE in prelims and then drop to 12th in GE in finals is a bit... funny. But I guess their music performance could have hurt them. I think performing right after Leander didn't help, and had they gone towards the end of the night I bet they would've scored higher. I don't think they will have any trouble making GN finals though. Their show is great and if it sticks out enough in a 64 band prelims to win GE, it'll stick out in GN semi-finals as well. 

So basically, all of the weird judging evened out and created (pretty much) expected, reasonable placements. 

Maybe weirder than you think...Several bands notified of error in judge's scoring.  Medals being returned.

It is true.  I am sure details will come from BOA soon.  Until they make official announcement of their errors, it seems best to let details wait.

I've also heard about this.  It's a bad situation all around.  Personally I think it should have been verified at that time, and once the results are announced, they should be final.  It stinks for those kids at Marcus & FM, although more for FM since they don't get awards like this often.

Yes, this was the prelim placements and GE caption that were affected.  I find it interesting that BOA hasn't changed the prelim results on their page.  The awards all are being sent back by Marcus and Flower Mound even though they were told they could keep them and others would be sent to Johnson.  Marcus and Flower Mound did not feel it would be right to keep them though.  Both programs are class acts that way.

• 2 weeks later...

What about captions? Flomo got GE and Marcus got music I think. Do those stay the same?

CTJ got music, and the caption they were correcting was General Effect caption which CTJ won instead of Flower Mound.

The captions didnt change other than GE, and placement changed-

1st- Claudia Taylor Johnson

2nd- Marcus

3rd- The Woodlands