I spent most of the night thinking Hebron had it in the bag, but man, Marcus really threw it down in the 11th hour. Stunning performance. I had both in a virtual tie, and you can't really fault the judges for going either way. What is going on in Lewisville ISD???

Johnson finishing third was unexpected, but I'm happy for them. They had a really great run last night. I just thought that show would be fairly divisive in a UIL setting. The design is so ambitious that it's impossible to reach the level of cleanliness you usually see from a UIL State medalist. Still, I think they were quite a bit better execution-wise than they were in prelims.

I feel for Flower Mound for dropping so much, but I had them in 9th as well. They were very good, but everyone else really stepped up their game after prelims. I just didn't see the same energy and intensity from them that the bands who beat them delivered. They still sounded and looked great. I hope they can rebound in Indy.

I could have given that third medal spot to a number of other bands. Bowie, Reagan, The Woodlands........wow. My jaw was on the floor after each of those performances. Coppell and Duncanville were better than they've been all year too. And kudos to Keller for snagging that wild card spot and turning in a memorable performance. Area A represent! It was truly an incredible night of marching band. Nobody does it better than Texas!

If I could have subbed in someone who didn't make it, I would choose Westlake. I thought they were absolutely fantastic in prelims. It seems the music judges agreed, but the marching judges did not.

Totally agree with the love for Reagan -- I thought they killed it in finals and I was thinking they may sneak in for a medal.  They could have called Marcus, Hebron, or Bowie for the win and I would have been just fine.

Actually feeling bad today for the Bowie kids. That show might be my favorite Bowie show ever and probably should have medaled.  Stand tall because your program rocks!

BTW--saw several Hebron kids sobbing/consoling in the lobby after their show.  Hoping that no one was hurt or sick.  Hopefully, that silver medal makes things fell better :D

Totally agree with the love for Reagan -- I thought they killed it in finals and I was thinking they may sneak in for a medal.  They could have called Marcus, Hebron, or Bowie for the win and I would have been just fine.

Actually feeling bad today for the Bowie kids. That show might be my favorite Bowie show ever and probably should have medaled.  Stand tall because your program rocks!

BTW--saw several Hebron kids sobbing/consoling in the lobby after their show.  Hoping that no one was hurt or sick.  Hopefully, that silver medal makes things fell better :D

I agree, I think Bowie should of medaled personally. I didn't think they would beat Marcus, even though I preferred their show. Marcus is just amazingly clean, and they sound like a concert band when they are on the field, which UIL judges prefer over a drum corps sound. I was surprised they didn't get second or a close third, but looking at the scores it seems like they got low-balled by a couple of judges. One music judge put them in 7th and a visual put them in 9th. The 9th is what shocks me the most because I definitely don't see all the other bands but one being better than them visually. 

However, I feel like a congratulations is in order to all these bands. I think some of these bands of produced their best shows ever this year, and I hope it only gets better.

I also have one question about the UIL judging. Do the music/visual judges get together and decide on specific things to judge on? It might explain the discrepancy between the judges a bit more, (I.E. One visual judge, looks at ensemble aspects of visual, and the other looks at individual technique and whatnot) 

If I could have subbed in someone who didn't make it, I would choose Westlake. I thought they were absolutely fantastic in prelims. It seems the music judges agreed, but the marching judges did not.

Thanks! Here at Westlake we were all pretty bummed out when we heard that lost spot and realized we hadn't made it. Honestly I'm just unsure of the marching judges, especially the one that ranked Johnson as worse than us and us as 24th. I've got the bias of being from here, but we've put in so much work since we bombed at BoA Austin and just have trouble saying that 11th is good enough right now.

Re: Seeing several Hebron kids sobbing/consoling in the lobby......I think you may have misinterpreted that one.  After receiving 6th in Finals at BOA on Saturday and placing 4th in Prelims earlier that day, those were tears of surprise and joy (and mostly exhaustion). 

I overheard one say they didn't even expect to place, based on the earlier results.

The Hebron students weren't satisfied with their finals performance.  I spoke with one of the kids, and they said they didn't even care about placements.  The band was just distraught because they thought they failed to perform at a level that met the standards they set for themselves.  However, I also noticed that after numerous older kids, and what looked to be section leaders, comforted the younger ones, the band seemed to have the past put behind them.  I wish I could describe the atmosphere of unity and comradery in full form as tears of sadness began to fade away, replacing themselves with tears of happiness.  I think it's safe to say Hebron will be back at their strongest next year.  :)

I watched the live stream. I thought all ten bands in final were great. Bowie and Johnson were my favorites. Go weird or go home. Special shout out to CyFair 14th place. I hope this is just the beginning for you and other bands coming out of area E going toe toe with the big boys. Can't wait until two years from now. And yes I still have a big smile on my face since CyFalls made state!!!

I watched the live stream. I thought all ten bands in final were great. Bowie and Johnson were my favorites. Go weird or go home. Special shout out to CyFair 14th place. I hope this is just the beginning for you and other bands coming out of area E going toe toe with the big boys. Can't wait until two years from now. And yes I still have a big smile on my face since CyFalls made state!!!

Always a pleasure competing with/watching you guys... Best of luck to y'all moving forward☺☺☺

Thanks! Here at Westlake we were all pretty bummed out when we heard that lost spot and realized we hadn't made it. Honestly I'm just unsure of the marching judges, especially the one that ranked Johnson as worse than us and us as 24th. I've got the bias of being from here, but we've put in so much work since we bombed at BoA Austin and just have trouble saying that 11th is good enough right now.

I saw your show at BoA Austin and what a tremendous transformation your entire drill underwent over the past month. Your performance this past weekend was fantastic and my family and I thought we'd be able to enjoy your show in finals too. Judging is so subjective and yes, looking at the judges opinions just leaves some of us scratching our heads. Several bands had odd rankings. All that said, you should really be very proud of all the hard work you must have put into that show. Your sound filled the Alamodome and had several of us that didn't have kids on the field with you smiling in the end. Keep your head up and be proud. Don't lose sight of the fact that there were many bands that were not invited to the party yesterday.

Loved Westlake's show. BOA Austin was SO early, really didn't mean much in the long term! You all improved so much since then.

The way I see it, once you get to a high level, it's somewhat random the order. I mean the judging HAS to be subjective, so if someone just doesn't respond well to a style of marching, they follow that impulse. CTJ's style doesn't match everyone's eye. Same with music, we have to depend on a judge's reaction to a particular performance. The key is are you in the discussion? The cool thing about making State is you're in the discussion! So 11th is great.

Westwood making 13th? We're over the moon....great result for our very first time, and a clear indication that we've improved greatly since the beginning of the season! We weren't in ANY discussions when people were discussing who would advance in Area D, and we weren't in any discussions about the possible top 10 in and the next 5. We came close to making the finals with a 13? Happy campers here.

But the aim is the work, the improvement, the music, the movement. It isn't the placement. We had a great run at the end of our year, students are happy, directors are happy, boosters are happy....hey, it's Marching Band in Texas! 

Westlake is always in the discussion, deservedly so. You always have great musicianship, and I always want to see your show. So as a proud Westwood booster, I say I'm looking forward to what Westlake does next year!