Band Parent Pet Peeves - #1 = Football Games

TXMarchingMadness87654

On the flip side?  Kudos to whoever brought a busload of Hutto football players, in jerseys, to the Area D Prelims today to cheer on their band!  The parents in the stands were amazed and impressed!

This is great! Not sure who was responsible, but the AD and head football coach at Hutto HS, Steve Van Meter, used to have the same title at Friendswood. He was always very supportive of the band/color guard/drill team/cheerleaders. 

This is great! Not sure who was responsible, but the AD and head football coach at Hutto HS, Steve Van Meter, used to have the same title at Friendswood. He was always very supportive of the band/color guard/drill team/cheerleaders. 

I am assuming you are a parent living in Friendswood. I am from Ball High School. I am upset that y'all left our district. I always loved when our band played at your stadium. Your fans were the best when it came to cheering us on. Our band was often made fun of because we have no budget and very few members, but your fans listened and cheered for us every time. It gave us a little bit of hope knowing that there were people that appreciated our music. Thank you very much for supporting us, and I hope y'all do well at state this year!

I am assuming you are a parent living in Friendswood. I am from Ball High School. I am upset that y'all left our district. I always loved when our band played at your stadium. Your fans were the best when it came to cheering us on. Our band was often made fun of because we have no budget and very few members, but your fans listened and cheered for us every time. It gave us a little bit of hope knowing that there were people that appreciated our music. Thank you very much for supporting us, and I hope y'all do well at state this year!

Thanks for the kind words! We always loved listening to the Ball HS band; it was an honor for us to listen to your performance. Every band is different, and that's what makes marching band fun - everyone has their own unique take on music, drill, etc. In addition, any marching band that works hard, practices, and achieves their goal of putting a great show on the field is always worthy of applause. Ball HS has always succeeded in doing this and should never be made fun of. 

I am having trouble posting the picture that I wanted to share - this past weekend we played Football against our local rival school - our band decided to do their entire show after the game rather than at halftime. not only did the home AND visitor stands remain packed, our football team (who lost a hard fought battle) went to the end zone and sat there to cheer for the band as did all the cheer, spirit and dance teams. it was a great sight to see.

Football is big in Texas - dare I say Marching Band is BIGGER???

Funny but true story.. this past weekend we had our first district football game.  Our band pre-staged their show on the visitor side to prepare for a contest the next day.  One of the members of the visiting school band yelled " Our band got 9th at state last year!.. how did your band do?"  It was meant to be a bragging moment for them, but one of our drum majors responded with " We got FIRST".. not much else came out of their stands except the eery sound of crickets! 

The visiting band director did apologize for the student's ignorance.  No harm no Foul LOL

Had a similar thing happen to us last year. We faced Wakeland and the student section including other people were yelling "Our band's better!". I'm sure the band had nothing to do with it, just immature kids acting up. Luckily for us we had the last laugh after winning the game :P

But was the band better and the team worse?    Isn't that supporting the band? 

But was the band better and the team worse?    Isn't that supporting the band? 

They were saying "Our band's better!" when we went onto the field to perform. They weren't saying that their band was better than their own team, but instead trying to put us down. But like I said, I'm pretty sure the band had nothing to do with it.

• 8 months later...

Ummm just my 2 cent here. I'm surprised and I am quite glad that some of you guys are having great experiences at the football games. I guess a lot of it depends on how small your school is and how tight knit the football and band programs are. In all honestly, I think the bands are there just so they can practice their show (at least that's how it is for us). That's our first priority. We don't help our football team win games, and we don't really do anything either if our team is losing badly, lol. That's why our directors only want us to cheer and play more in the second half and a lot less in the first half. It just kind of shows the priorities (understandably so to some extent), and a reciprocal response from the rest of the people in the stands and the football team should be expected.