UIL Area B Marching Contest

The UIL Area B Marching Competitions is coming up. Who do you see doing well?

I keep checking the UIL website. For some odd reason, region 5 does not have its results listed, yet. It's kind of annoying, tbh. lol I would like to see what everyone's scores are because I'm making a big list of each conference, one region after another, just for kicks. haha Anyway, I know Richland and Haltom (and I'm sure LD Bell and many others) in region 5 received 1's. Anyone else know what the others in that region received? I keep checking and checking and nothing!

Area B should be awesome this year, as usual. Lots and lots of bands participating. It's going to be quite the fight for State! ;)

I know there are going to be a lot of really good shows. It's hard to even say who will make final 4. Who knows who might show up but it's going to blow some minds what these bands bring to the table. Who are your picks for this area ? Finals and the four?

I would definitely put Wakeland, Centennial, Lake Ridge, Legacy, Newman Smith, Aledo, and Birdville in the finals but i can't yet tell who is going to be in those final four.

Congrats to all the bands who competed.  I can only imagine how rough it must be to miss out with finals being cancelled.  With that said, I'm really glad to see my old band back in state after missing it in 2011.  Wish I could have been at the competition today.  I can't believe how close the top 6 were.

How do they determine how to break the tie and have 2 advance and 1 not?

Through "judges' preference" which is done by taking the bands that are involved in the tie and taking their rank raw rankings to re-rank them amongst just those involved in the tie. With that re-ranking, they are re-totaled which determines how the tie is broken.

So, if the following:

BandA - 3, 4, 3, 5, 9 = 24

BandB - 4, 3, 4, 7, 6 = 24

This becomes:

BandA - 1, 2, 1, 1, 2 = 7

BandB - 2, 1, 2, 2, 1 = 8

Really enjoyed the competition today and I feel amazing after announcements were made . Sorry for the bands that didn't make , everyone put in a top notch effort and in the end we all did well. I want to congratulate all the bands that competed today in outstanding performances and I am super excited to head to state this year with my band . I look forward to seeing what area b is bringing to state cause it's going to be wild.

It's too bad that finals in Area B were cancelled.  Would have been interesting to see how things would have changed because I'm thinking they would have.  Ordinals from prelims were all over the place to put it mildly. Top 5 ordinals scores ranges from a 23 to a 28.  Just some crazy ordinals. UIL needs to do something about their outdated judging system. Weird things happening in all areas across the state....

Congrats to all those advancing on and good luck at state!!