Do any woodwinds wish you would have played brass? :)

BassoonPadwan

Not a rant, just a lighthearted musing. I'm really tired so I hope this makes sense. :-)

I play(ed) bassoon obviously. Goodness. The amount of headaches I've had dealing with reeds during my bassoon playing career makes me think maybe I should have picked something else. lol If I could go back and do it over again, I'd probably pick trombone. It was so stressful being at the mercy of this tiny piece of cane. Some days I would feel like I could play in any college band in the country. Other days I felt like I should be in a middle school band all because my reed was not doing what I wanted it to. I feel like if I picked up a brass, I would have enjoyed music more. It would be more about the music than it was about the equipment. You have to spend hours making and caring for those reeds. That's before you even pick up your horn. Ah, the tedious life of a bassoon player.

I played baritone in marching band so I have a little reference. Is brass as straight forward as I think it is? Or is there a difficulty I'm not seeing right now? Can you really just pick up the instrument and get right to the music? I kind of want to pick up a trombone to play in my free time. 

Well, I'm a flute player band mom with two woodwind playing kids and one brass playing kid. With two kids needing reeds, I feel I should invest in a reed-making company! It seems especially bad during marching season. Flute was not easy, but it really wasn't bad, as far as being able to pick it up and play...and it's woodwind. So you could've picked flute! :) My brass-playing child played French horn. It is NOT an easy, pick-up-and-play instrument. Guiness lists it and the oboe as the most difficult instruments to learn and play. I believe they are correct, at least for FH. Said child played the mellophone during marching season and seemed to play it easily, though. There is quite a bit of maintenance with the FH, as well. You have to keep all those valves greased or they WILL get stuck! I think it simply depends on the instrument. Others will have to speak for trombones, trumpets, etc. I'm sure that, just like the FH, all of the brass have to keep their horns well-maintained. Nothing is more beautiful than a shined up sousaphone during contests. ;)  As a band mom, though, I have to say I'm thankful for ALL the instruments! If everyone chose brass OR woodwinds, we wouldn't have a band!

• 1 month later...

They always complain about their chops. But I love how the brass can sound. French horns are so resonant and trumpets can sound pretty and lyrical or harsh and brassy. I enjoy playing the flute though. We also have the melody fairly often which is pretty great. I would love to play a brass instrument but I don't regret picking up the flute.

• 10 years later...