RECAP BREAKDOWN - Grand Nationals 2012

I did another one of these:

20121110-9gf-56kb.jpg

PCEP's average placement in captions was 11.2th place.

Ronald Reagan's average placement in captions was 9th place.

Lawrence Central's Average placement in captions was 9.5th place.

Center Grove's average placement in captions was 8.5th place.

William Mason's average placement in captions was 8.5th place.

Kennesaw Mountain's average placement in captions was 7.4th place.

James Bowie's average placement in captions was 6.8th place.

Marian Catholic's average placement in captions was 4.7th place.

Tarpon Springs average placement in captions was 3.9th place.

Avon's average placement in captions was 3.9th place.

Broken Arrow's average placement in captions was 2.2nd place.

Carmel's average placement in captions was 2nd place.

Highlights:

James Bowie placed 2nd in music ensemble, 4 places above their placement. They also placed 1st in Music GE 2, and 3rd in Music GE Overall.

Ronald Reagan placed 3rd in music ensemble, 8 places above their placement.

Broken Arrow got 1st from 4 judges, Carmel received 1st from only 1 judge.

Broken Arrow was .4 over 2nd (Carmel) in visual Ensemble.

Carmel won Music Individual by .4 over Tarpon Springs, and won by a WHOPPING 1.5 points over Broken Arrow.

While a more favorable individual music judge would have helped Reagan jump a few of the groups immediately ahead of them, it wouldn't have done much for Bowie. Unfortunately, those visual issues I was noticing came back to bite Bowie in finals. They got uniformly mediocre visual scores. They seemed to get a more forgiving panel in semis, when they placed 3rd overall! That was awesome!

I know this is grand nats, so everyone is talented, but were Reagan and Bowie really that far behind in marching. To me it seemed like that had the least flashy drill writing there. I wasn't a big fan of a lot of the shows.. Usually I don't mind all of the GE filllings, but man I got a little tired of GE last night.

Edited by whitewing09

I know this is grand nats, so everyone is talented, but were Reagan and Bowie really that far behind in marching. To me it seemed like that had the least flashy drill writing there. I wasn't a big fan of a lot of the shows.. Usually I don't mind all of the GE filllings, but man I got a little tired of GE last night.

Awwww, but GE is the best part! Except for maybe BA's show (which felt to me like The Godfather Part 3 compared to the Bell 06 show), I loved all the bells and whistles this year. I will say that visually, based on the high cam state vids, the two TX bands we sent did concern me. I knew Reagan would struggle in visual based on late season BOA scores, but Bowie was a bit of a surprise to me. Even more so than forms that weren't spot-on, sloppy transitions were abundant. I think Bowie's semis judging panel was something of a blessing as far as visual performance is concerned, considering Bowie got reamed in visual in both prelims and finals.

On a side note, I think Marcus is still the cleanest band I saw this year. I wasn't really as impressed with the northern groups visually this year. At least not as much as usual.

the two TX bands we sent did concern me.

Define "we". How much money did you provide their program to attend? When did you decide that you would send Bowie? How does one get to be selected by you?

Also, you've seemed to be dogging Bowie for most of these posts. So they had a couple sloppy sets? Some transitions you didn't agree with? How about something positive for the team that apparently you sent that was able to edge out Avon in semis and earn a Top 6 spot in the nation for Texas.

I'm sure you are aware of what you type and how you sound, but I thought I would make it clearer to you.

Great job and congrats to both Texas bands who made it all the way through to GN Finals! Reagan, you guys rocked! Bowie, stellar! Neither program "concerned" me even once! You guys make us proud!

Define "we". How much money did you provide their program to attend? When did you decide that you would send Bowie? How does one get to be selected by you?

Also, you've seemed to be dogging Bowie for most of these posts. So they had a couple sloppy sets? Some transitions you didn't agree with? How about something positive for the team that apparently you sent that was able to edge out Avon in semis and earn a Top 6 spot in the nation for Texas.

I'm sure you are aware of what you type and how you sound, but I thought I would make it clearer to you.

Great job and congrats to both Texas bands who made it all the way through to GN Finals! Reagan, you guys rocked! Bowie, stellar! Neither program "concerned" me even once! You guys make us proud!

Someone's a bit touchy, eh? Sorry, I calls them like I sees them, although you do have a point about me not contributing jack to the two programs that went. I'm assuming you're affiliated with Bowie? Congrats. They did very well!

Now, moving on to the more pressing matter of how one gets selected by Rubisco to attend nationals, it's a long application process, but usually a band can make the cut by being absolutely flawless! *insert biggest eyeroll ever* Please, dear, if you're going to attempt wit, try a bit harder next time!

Eaaaaaaaaaaasyyyyy there. No need to get so defensive. He didn't say Bowie was the scum of the earth or anything. It's true that they VISUALLY did not compare with the top of the top at nationals. It doesn't mean they are bad people, nor a horrible program. He never said anything attacking Bowie. It's a fact that their visual scores were disproportionately low (12th in finals almost across the board), and the evidence in the show supports those numbers.

I can only speak for myself, but it is very hard to see these kids criticized when I know how hard they all have worked. HOWEVER, that is the nature of competition itself. You put yourself out there for the purpose of being judged. I have to remind myself frequently that everyone is entitled to their own opinion about the "greatness" of any given program. It is hard to take the "mama bear" hat off sometimes though.

Both Bowie and Reagan did an excellent job of representing Texas in Indy, but neither show was perfect. Some of the other bands that stumbled a bit in Semis came back strong in Finals. I am not sure that the design of our shows translated as well either. Marching band in Texas seems to have a different flavor than it does in the midwest to some extent.

While it is nice to celebrate the accomplishment of Bowie and Reagan, there were areas that they were judged not to be as good in and while it does seem a bit like Rubisco has been negative about Bowie since state, I don't think it is with ill will. I am sure the directors are being every bit as critical about the performances and looking for the weak spots to improve on. That is how they get better! I don't take offense at the "we" either because I think those that frequent this site look at all the bands as "our" bands when it comes to something like Grand Nats.