2012 BOA San Antonio Predictions

I saw Vandegrift's show for the first time today. I definitely think it has the charm and GE to get into finals, and what can I say about starting a show off with that clarinet gliss? All in all the theme is very relateable and if they continue to push into the late season, which is something they have had some trouble with in the past, they could definitely make finals.

I agree that vandergrift has the charm but I missed the WOW factor in their show. It's was actually predictable. Playing loud doesn't neccessarliy give you a blended dynamic sound, that is what Cedar Park has that very few can reproduce or even get close too and I disagree that Vanergrifts show can even get close to Cedar Ridge's this year... IMO. With that being said, they are good enough to make finals but I don't see them "running with the big dogs" yet... Time will tell. .............

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's all about Hendrickson and Cedar Ridge. Both have come so far in such a short amount of time! From watching these two bands at Conroe I can say Hendrickson's visual has improved GREATLY! And it shows, as they placed 2nd in individual marching, right behind The Woodlands. Cedar Ridge has grown up in all aspects of their program in such a short amount of time! In my honest un-biased opinion, I don't think either has a definite foothold over the other simply because they are on the same level. Hendrickson placed ahead of CR in prelims at Conroe and CR placed ahead of Hendrickson in finals. Both are completely worthy of finals and of recognition, but I suppose it truly will come down to who has a better performance! That being said, i'd be happy if both made it:)

Here's a picture of LD Bell's comedically large hovering cone behemoth:

A5rGKgcCAAAXhp1.jpg

H-o-l-y M-o-l-e-y

I am beginning to agree with my husband. It's beginning to get a bit out of hand, isn't it? They are going to have to start having two categories at competitions. One for those with lots of props and such and one for those who just want to march and play music. Just wow. Wow & WOW

I agree that vandergrift has the charm but I missed the WOW factor in their show. It's was actually predictable. Playing loud doesn't neccessarliy give you a blended dynamic sound, that is what Cedar Park has that very few can reproduce or even get close too and I disagree that Vanergrifts show can even get close to Cedar Ridge's this year... IMO. With that being said, they are good enough to make finals but I don't see them "running with the big dogs" yet... Time will tell. .............

It should be interesting to see how it all plays out. I don't know that Vandegrift could take Cedar Park or Cedar Ridge either, but what's for sure is that Cedar Park is vulnerable this year. Their playing is great as always, but their visuals could definitely be stronger, and their GE I think is their biggest downfall. GE is becoming more and more important, and this showed at Conroe when Cedar Park lost in prelims and finals to Reagan, who happens to be making quite a push for GE with their guard change, plume change, light up accessories and the whole 9 yards. I agree though that playing loud is not everything. First, it's all about playing loud and balanced, and second, it's not about how many decibals a band's sound can reach, but about how much overall dynamic contrast they can achieve.

I agree with BOAfanatic regarding Marcus, but it ties in with my viewpoint of UIL in general. UIL seems to reward well played music while standing still more than marching and playing at the same time, and definitely does not factor in the entertainment value or difficulty of the show. This was evident at the 4A finals last year. Older judging panels definitely would much rather see technically perfect shows that are easy to do versus harder, faster shows that are more entertaining and I think this is hurting marching band in general. The band directors are now stuck with having to focus on technical perfection versus entertainment, and then hoping they get the judging panel that fits what they have done in hoping for success. It's still high school, and I personally would rather be entertained rather than watch the pursuit of technical perfection.

I agree with BOAfanatic regarding Marcus, but it ties in with my viewpoint of UIL in general. UIL seems to reward well played music while standing still more than marching and playing at the same time, and definitely does not factor in the entertainment value or difficulty of the show. This was evident at the 4A finals last year. Older judging panels definitely would much rather see technically perfect shows that are easy to do versus harder, faster shows that are more entertaining and I think this is hurting marching band in general. The band directors are now stuck with having to focus on technical perfection versus entertainment, and then hoping they get the judging panel that fits what they have done in hoping for success. It's still high school, and I personally would rather be entertained rather than watch the pursuit of technical perfection.

I would rather have both. I want to be entertained, sure. However, with the way some of the props are going these days, instead of a marching band competition, it's evolving into a "who can bring the biggest and shinest toys?" competition at BOA. I appreciate the UIL judges looking more toward the traditional, technical aspect of things. It should be about how well the bands can play and march, instead of who has the prettiest stuff. I actually much prefer Marcus' show this year, not because I didn't like last year's show, but because I can appreciate the use of their props this year much more. They are very good at what they do, too. If I could have it my way, though, I would go back to the days of less props and more music and marching. In fact, I've seen some pretty incredible shows that were both entertaining AND techinically excellent and there were NO props at all used(and let me clarify that I don't consider flags, swords, rifles, etc. "props" per se. I am referring to the giant "things" brought onto the field that can sometimes become more of a distraction than a backdrop to the show). Hebron, for example, does use props, but they sit at the back and are merely the background instead of a distraction. Hebron sounds GREAT and looks fantastic. Keller High uses matches and "burning" flags but no "props" aka giant, useless "things" rolled onto the field. Their show is awesome! Haltom also has zero props and their show is great. Wakeland's use of "falling woodwinds" is entertaining w/o taking over the entire show and looking ridiculous...plus their sound is wonderful! Maybe the whole over-the-top props will begin to fade with time and go by the wayside....like other "fads" from the past. I can only hope...

The whole props versus performance dichotomy has always baffled me. People too often make it sound like they are mutually exclusive things. Heck, just look at LD Bell this year, the group that has gotten us into this discussion. They're probably marching the single most difficult show this year. The drill in their show this year is crazy difficult, head and shoulders above any other Texas group, regardless of their use of props. Clearly, using props, even distracting ones, does not necessarily mean a band is taking the easy road performance-wise.

As for Marcus, I would implore everyone on this forum to listen to the original music they play and then listen to what they put on the field. Do the same for other groups. You'll notice quite quickly that Marcus makes up for a slightly less demanding visual show by playing music that isn't anywhere near as watered down as their nearest competitors.

The whole props versus performance dichotomy has always baffled me. People too often make it sound like they are mutually exclusive things. Heck, just look at LD Bell this year, the group that has gotten us into this discussion. They're probably marching the single most difficult show this year.

Then why do they need the big, shiny purple girl? I agree that LD Bell and Marcus have set a standard of excellence not often matched, which is exactly why I find the unneeded, over-the-top props ridiculous. Why? Instead of seeing it as "people too often make it sound like they are mutually exclusive things," why not ask why directors find them necessary, as if saying to their students, "You can't win w/o big, shiny things to dazzle the judges. You're not good enough." <<That would royally irritate me as a parent, btw. So march the most difficult show this year. Play hard music. Use the color guard to their full potential with difficult drill. Leave the shiny, purple, 5-yard-wide props out. You don't NEED them. They distract from your show for many people, as evidenced by the comments on here AND the ones I got when I posted the picture on my FB page. That's what baffles me. It just seems like every year the distracting props are getting bigger and more sparkly. Didn't I read a comment about a band using tents and how distracting they were? What is the most often thing that people complain about distracting them in a band's performance? I still say that I hope the bigger, shinier, over-the-top props eventually fade away. I know. It would leave us with less to talk about and complain about and discuss to the enth degree, but maybe, just maybe, we could talk about music and marching styles. Maybe we could discuss composers(and learn a few things to boot). And maybe, we could become MORE dazzled by the music and the drills and be entertained by them instead. But I guess it's just me. :(

I should add that I thoroughly enjoyed Marcus' show the three or four times I've seen it. I've heard both great and "meh" comments from friends and strangers about LD Bell's show. I have only seen bits of it. I'm always excited about seeing what they will bring, though, and this year is no exception, although the purple girl makes me sad. (and I LOVE purple, btw. It's my favorite color!) I have a special place in my heart for Area B bands. I love them all and follow them all. I don't mean to be at all disrespectful of anyone. I know how hard they all work. I'm just old school and have my own opinions about things. (silly or not) I don't mind if I baffle you. lol I certainly don't expect to be understood by others. haha It's just me. (take it or leave it heh) One thing I know we all have in common: We LOVE marching season! (and I'm devastated that it's a couple of weeks away from the end :wacko: )

Thanks for the great discussion. I am so glad I found this place! I'm super tired and heading to bed. Sweet dreams to all!

Props are probably one of the best things to happen to marching band, but props for the sake of props does no good--that's where you need to draw the line.

So long as they add to the show, the more the merrier. Tarpon Springs from Florida is a great example. They are one of the top 10 bands in the country, and they use more props than Bell and Marcus combined. It's part of their identity, and it's why they're so memorable.

Take my word for it: Marching Band would be a whole lot more boring if we went back to the days of straight marching and playing.

Props are probably one of the best things to happen to marching band, but props for the sake of props does no good--that's where you need to draw the line.

So long as they add to the show, the more the merrier. Tarpon Springs from Florida is a great example. They are one of the top 10 bands in the country, and they use more props than Bell and Marcus combined. It's part of their identity, and it's why they're so memorable.

Take my word for it: Marching Band would be a whole lot more boring if we went back to the days of straight marching and playing.

Was going to say we would have to agree to disagree, but rethought it. I did not say or mean to say I want there to be NO props. I want the over-the-top, unnecessary, big, shiny, silly props to go away. Not all props. I like Marcus' gates and they're big, but nicely added. I like Hebron's instruments in the back. They add dimension w/o getting in the way. Please don't misunderstand me by thinking I want it to go to zero props. No. No. I just don't like the super distracting ones. Hope that clarifies. Now, for real this time, goodnight! Sweet dreams and blessings all! :)

Edited by TXMarchingMadness87654

I guess I can agree with that, only I feel like there are way too many bands using props for the sake of props.

Why? Instead of seeing it as "people too often make it sound like they are mutually exclusive things," why not ask why directors find them necessary, as if saying to their students, "You can't win w/o big, shiny things to dazzle the judges. You're not good enough." <<That would royally irritate me as a parent, btw.

One reason for the props, extras, etc. for Marcus is a philosophy that all students in the band be able to take an active part in the show rather than just standing on the sidelines. This allows those freshman and even some older students, whose marching skills and playing skills aren't quite matured yet to actually be part of that competition show experience, and as a parent I can say I completely support that dedication to involving all the kids, not just the older or "better" students. Trust me, nowhere in the Marcus experience do students get the message, "You're not good enough." On the contrary: the message is that every student is deserving of an active role in the program. Parents are completely supportive of the inclusive philosophy that makes Marcus the positive and spirited organization that it is.

Spring is the band that is using the tents, biggest distraction by props I have ever seen, and I LOVE props. This season I have seen plenty of bands use props effectively. Hendrickson's Doctor Atomic wouldn't have had the same feel that it got it 5th place at conroe if they didn't have the giant clocks counting down, was their chalkboard a little useless? Perhaps, but it set the mood. The Woodlands has their letter tarps as well as a rocking chair and some crates, minimal and it gets the point across, but their show doesn't even necessarily need that. Now imagine a Tarpon Springs show without props. None. I can't even fathom that cause that is just not the style they do!

Now Marcus has gotten to the point where you can expect a huge set of props to be used, it is their style now. The candelabra's, the ferris wheels, the gates, it just makes you wonder whats next for them. When I mention Marcus what comes to your mind? Cause what I think of is giant 'wow' props and well played music. I'm not saying I don't like Markus' props, I loved the ferris wheels and I think the Gates adds an interesting dimension, but I would LOVE to see what kind of show they would have without the props.

I have not seen LD Bell's show so I am not a liberty to write a whole paragraph about how this giant girl affects the show because I don't know, but I will watch eagerly in SA.

I am SO excited to see SA this year, this is the first time in a long time that LD Bell and Marcus do not have a stranglehold at the top! The Woodlands can win it, CTJ can win it (maybe), I wouldn't be surprised if another band won it because the level of excellence in marching band is just getting so high!

EDIT: Using students to move and operate props is the best argument for props there is, it gives an opportunity for everyone to be able to say they marched in that show rather than standing behind the soundboard. Would kids prefer to be marching in spots? Almost definitely, but the fact that they can't have everyone in a spot creates competition to be good enough for a coveted spot, which means more practice, which means better individuals. At the school I graduated from the members that didn't have a spot took pride in their status as 'Sentinels of Death'!

Edited by Nosagi

Then why do they need the big, shiny purple girl? I agree that LD Bell and Marcus have set a standard of excellence not often matched, which is exactly why I find the unneeded, over-the-top props ridiculous. Why? Instead of seeing it as "people too often make it sound like they are mutually exclusive things," why not ask why directors find them necessary, as if saying to their students, "You can't win w/o big, shiny things to dazzle the judges. You're not good enough." <<That would royally irritate me as a parent, btw.

How is simply having difficult drill enough to tell a story? The "big, shiny purple girl" is part of the storytelling. Drill can only do so much. Most directors use props because they help tell a story or set a mood in a way that cannot be achieved simply with marching and music. Also, the idea that you can't win without "over-the-top props" (which is the real reason why most people in bands that don't use props dislike them, although few outside of the band world dislike them) is patently false. Avon just recently won three BOA national championships in a row with scarcely a prop. Therefore, I don't see how any student could possibly get the idea that you need big, fancy props to win, or that their directors are using props to make up for the students not being "good enough."

Anyway, I love props. I wish every band used them. Frankly, I'm not of the cynical opinion that a whole lot of directors instruct their booster teams to make giant props for them just for the heck of it, or because they think props are an easy ride to a championship. If directors use props, you can be sure that the directors saw them as serving some purpose in the fabric of the show, even if you don't see it.

Frankly, I'm not of the cynical opinion that a whole lot of directors instruct their booster teams to make giant props for them just for the heck of it, or because they think props are an easy ride to a championship. If directors use props, you can be sure that the directors saw them as serving some purpose in the fabric of the show, even if you don't see it.

I don't think it's cynical to assume that. I agree with you that when a director decides to use props that they see "them as serving some purpose in the fabric of the show," but they DO intend them to enhance their score as well. After all, even if you acknowledge marching band's role as a "positively life changing experience," it is still a competitive activity. A director is going to try to produce a show that put's the programs best foot forward (no pun intended) on the competitive stage, and a lot of the time that involves props. However, some program's simply do not have the resources or design team to pull it off effectively, giving us situations where it seems there are "props for the sake of props."

I think you're being a little idealistic in asserting that directors insert props on purely artistic grounds.

One reason for the props, extras, etc. for Marcus is a philosophy that all students in the band be able to take an active part in the show rather than just standing on the sidelines. This allows those freshman and even some older students, whose marching skills and playing skills aren't quite matured yet to actually be part of that competition show experience, and as a parent I can say I completely support that dedication to involving all the kids, not just the older or "better" students. Trust me, nowhere in the Marcus experience do students get the message, "You're not good enough." On the contrary: the message is that every student is deserving of an active role in the program. Parents are completely supportive of the inclusive philosophy that makes Marcus the positive and spirited organization that it is.

This is a great post and not to be understated. I have always truly appreciated how Marcus creatively utilizes their secondaries as an integral part of the show. My favorite was the 2010 Illuminations show where the kids "shadowed" the show in the background and were highlighted in several moments. I also appreciate how the Marcus parent community carries themselves at competitions and how gracious they are with other programs. No Marcus bashing here.

How is simply having difficult drill enough to tell a story? The "big, shiny purple girl" is part of the storytelling. Drill can only do so much. Most directors use props because they help tell a story or set a mood in a way that cannot be achieved simply with marching and music. Also, the idea that you can't win without "over-the-top props" (which is the real reason why most people in bands that don't use props dislike them, although few outside of the band world dislike them) is patently false. Avon just recently won three BOA national championships in a row with scarcely a prop. Therefore, I don't see how any student could possibly get the idea that you need big, fancy props to win, or that their directors are using props to make up for the students not being "good enough."

Anyway, I love props. I wish every band used them. Frankly, I'm not of the cynical opinion that a whole lot of directors instruct their booster teams to make giant props for them just for the heck of it, or because they think props are an easy ride to a championship. If directors use props, you can be sure that the directors saw them as serving some purpose in the fabric of the show, even if you don't see it.

"I wish every band would used them." Don't you think there are bands that would like to use them but can't? Well, that's another topic all together.

I wish you wouldn't put words in my mouth, erm, my post. I never expressed: "the idea that you can't win without "over-the-top props" (which is the real reason why most people in bands that don't use props dislike them, although few outside of the band world dislike them) is patently false." I said that it could be interpreted that the director doesn't think the band could win without them(not that NO band could win without them). I never said bands can't win w/o them. Good grief. (and again, there are bands that would probably really like to use props but it's not in their budget. Don't assume that when a band doesn't use them, the only reason is because they "don't want to.")

I never said I didn't like any props, either. I like props. I like Marcus' gates. They don't distract from the show. I like Hebron's props. Heck. I even like McKinney Boyd's lights, even though I wouldn't necessarily call them "props" per se. I guess that's what they would be classified as, though. Anyway, I mean no offense to LD Bell. I just saw that picture and thought O M G, as did every single person who saw it on my FB page & some who saw it on here. It's over-the-top and I have every right to dislike it and feel that LD Bell, a band who always brings quality shows to the field, doesn't NEED it. I stand by that feeling, because it's my opinion. lol I don't make the rules, so rest easy. My opinion is not going to change a thing. In the mean time, I'm going to continue to wish for less unneeded glitz and more music and marching, where the props don't steal the show but simply help it along.

Again, I really, really, really do like props when they are used to enhance and not distract. And I have to agree with mello on this one that directors absolutely do use props to enhance their scores and not just because they are solely serving a purpose in the storytelling of the show. There's lots of ways to tell a story and with some creativity, you can do it without having gigantic, weird props that distract from the rest of the show, or, dare I say, in some cases, hide the flaws. uhm As you pointed out, Avon did just that. They managed to have an entire show tell a story with scarcely a prop. Thanks for that info. It makes me feel even better about my stance. It can be done. You can tell a story with just drill and music and color guard and a few minor props to enhance the show. That's the kind of show I'd like to see! Also, don't assume I'm cynical. I actually don't assume that "a lot of directors" use needless props. Never said "a lot." I think more bands could and should do just what Avon did. That's my wish and I'm sticking to it! ;)

I honestly just wanted to express my opinion and perhaps I should've let the shock of the picture wear off first. I apologize for any offense that may have been taken or any upset feelings. This is just a message board about marching bands. It's actually been a nice reprieve from all the political stuff that has taken over every where else. The last thing I want to do is start an online quarrel. I love this board and I love marching band season. I will attempt to quell my immediate, gut reactions to photos in the future. Can't wait for SA. I know it's going to be grand, as usual. Yay for bands! They deserve much more attention than they get. But, I guess that, too, is a whole 'nother topic of discussion. ha

Blessings all!

Please know that I think Marcus' show is fantastic and I really enjoy the gates. I didn't think they distracted from the show at all, but merely enhanced it. I agree with you that kids who don't necessarily have a "part" in the show should be used in some way. In fact, my son is one of those kids. He's a freshman this year and is being used in a "compliment" role in his band's show. I'm quite certain that Marcus does not experience what I was referencing before about "not being good enough." My post was definitely not directed at Marcus.

In fact, Marcus(students & parents) are the some of the classiest people I've seen and met. If I see a Marcus parent at a competition, I always try to say 'hello' and wish Marcus well and/or congrats, and that is because every parent I've met is very gracious. Y'all make it easy to wish you the best. Also, coming from a multi-band student family(and friends), I know band kids in several Area B bands. I've never heard a negative thing about Marcus. Everyone talks about how talented Marcus band is each year.

Sadly, though, I do feel there are some directors whose actions portray(while perhaps not directly to the students, although I know some kids whose directors have directly expressed) that w/o eye-popping, over-the-top props to distract, they wouldn't do as well as they do in contests. That is where my comment is coming from. It was never intended to be directed toward Marcus, their directors, students, or parents.

Please let any other parents that you know at Marcus know that we other band parents see how gracious you are and appreciate it. Class act all the way around. Good luck the rest of the season! :)

Please know that I think Marcus' show is fantastic and I really enjoy the gates. I didn't think they distracted from the show at all, but merely enhanced it. I agree with you that kids who don't necessarily have a "part" in the show should be used in some way. In fact, my son is one of those kids. He's a freshman this year and is being used in a "compliment" role in his band's show. I'm quite certain that Marcus does not experience what I was referencing before about "not being good enough." My post was definitely not directed at Marcus.

In fact, Marcus(students & parents) are the some of the classiest people I've seen and met. If I see a Marcus parent at a competition, I always try to say 'hello' and wish Marcus well and/or congrats, and that is because every parent I've met is very gracious. Y'all make it easy to wish you the best. Also, coming from a multi-band student family(and friends), I know band kids in several Area B bands. I've never heard a negative thing about Marcus. Everyone talks about how talented Marcus band is each year.

Sadly, though, I do feel there are some directors whose actions portray(while perhaps not directly to the students, although I know some kids whose directors have directly expressed) that w/o eye-popping, over-the-top props to distract, they wouldn't do as well as they do in contests. That is where my comment is coming from. It was never intended to be directed toward Marcus, their directors, students, or parents.

Please let any other parents that you know at Marcus know that we other band parents see how gracious you are and appreciate it. Class act all the way around. Good luck the rest of the season! :)

Please be sure I wasn't scolding. I truly hope I didn't come off that way. I was simply explaining one reason that props can really be a positive for a band by explaining part of the Marcus philosophy.

Thanks to all of you who have offered well wishes to Marcus. They same goes to all the bands. We always try to keep in the forefront the long hours and dedication ALL these great kids and their parents and their directors have put in to producing their best performance on contest day. Every band deserves kudos for their commitment to marching.

Best of luck to all of the bands. I've been thoroughly enjoying watching all the creative ideas that have manifested themselves between those goal posts. Looking forward to the Area B contest on Saturday.

Please be sure I wasn't scolding. I truly hope I didn't come off that way. I was simply explaining one reason that props can really be a positive for a band by explaining part of the Marcus philosophy.

Thanks to all of you who have offered well wishes to Marcus. They same goes to all the bands. We always try to keep in the forefront the long hours and dedication ALL these great kids and their parents and their directors have put in to producing their best performance on contest day. Every band deserves kudos for their commitment to marching.

Best of luck to all of the bands. I've been thoroughly enjoying watching all the creative ideas that have manifested themselves between those goal posts. Looking forward to the Area B contest on Saturday.

No worries! :) It is pretty amazing what these directors, students, and parents do for the performances, as you said, between the goal posts(which we all know exist primarily as a marker for the bands. ;) ) hehe

Yes! Best of luck to all the bands. BOA SA should be phenomenal with 60 bands performing and I'm sure the Area contests will be a-mazing as well.

ANYWAYS... ;) I saw someone mention SFA again, and I have to say, those kids better be getting one HECK of a standing ovation after their performance (well in reality, everyone should). But, seriously, I do really feel for them. Gotta give mad props to the seniors in that band as well...they've been put in such a tough place for their last year. Like someone else said, for them to be doing as well as they are really speaks volumes about how great those kids are. I don't care what placement they get (good or bad), SFA is still one of the top ten bands in the state in my opinion.

I'm starting to think that we are experiencing an end of an era, think about it: for the first time in years 2 of the strongest bands in Texas (LDB & Marcus) do not have a firm grasp on the top 2 going into the final weeks. Last year Marcus even finished fourth. I don't think they are getting worse, everyone else is just getting to their level. The Woodlands, Bowie (I know they aren't coming to SA, but they are a Texas band), now perhaps even CTJ and Hebron are all coming to the point where they could win an event like BOASA. The top bands are faltering, new ones are rising up, even the lower echelons are in a bit of a change up! SFA moved down, Spring is a little out there, TWCP is moving up, CEDAR RIDGE IS COMING OUT OF NOWHERE, even Reagan could be making a comeback. There are bands I have not included because there are just SO many changes happening, it'd be difficult to get them all! Times like these are perhaps the most exciting in marching band because no one has a solid idea of whats going to happen. What do y'all think? Is this the beginning of a new age of Texas Marching Bands?

I'm starting to think that we are experiencing an end of an era, think about it: for the first time in years 2 of the strongest bands in Texas (LDB & Marcus) do not have a firm grasp on the top 2 going into the final weeks. Last year Marcus even finished fourth. I don't think they are getting worse, everyone else is just getting to their level. The Woodlands, Bowie (I know they aren't coming to SA, but they are a Texas band), now perhaps even CTJ and Hebron are all coming to the point where they could win an event like BOASA. The top bands are faltering, new ones are rising up, even the lower echelons are in a bit of a change up! SFA moved down, Spring is a little out there, TWCP is moving up, CEDAR RIDGE IS COMING OUT OF NOWHERE, even Reagan could be making a comeback. There are bands I have not included because there are just SO many changes happening, it'd be difficult to get them all! Times like these are perhaps the most exciting in marching band because no one has a solid idea of whats going to happen. What do y'all think? Is this the beginning of a new age of Texas Marching Bands?

Indeed, this is going to be an interesting year. I too believe that we are seeing the rise and fall of dynasties. Even then, though, this is the hardest time I've ever had trying to pick a winner for SA. And quite frankly, it's because there is none. Under certain circumstances, there are a lot of bands that could win SA, or at the very least rewrite some long held beliefs. Marcus and Bell have been in power for too long, but I don't know if we will see someone new decisively grab power this year or see a couple years of, well, anarchy. Results for the next couple of years could be all over the place until a new power takes control for good. I would expect anything to happen next Saturday.