2:00 p.m. - Richland H.S., TX

2:15 p.m. - Saint James School, AL

2:30 p.m. - Spring H.S., TX

2:45 p.m. - The Woodlands College Park H.S., TX

3:00 p.m. - Waller H.S., TX

3:15 p.m. - Calallen H.S., TX

3:30 p.m. - L.D. Bell H.S., TX

3:45 p.m. - Exhibition: Texas State University

Okay, so the way I see it at this point is there are 9 groups that I'd be very surprised to see out of finals. Those groups are: Cedar Park, Cedar Ridge, Claudia Taylor Johnson, Hebron, LD Bell, Marcus, Ronald Reagan, Round Rock, and The Woodlands. (Note, this is not necessarily the top 9.) This leaves 5 finals spots for a whole slew of outstanding groups that includes: Anderson, Flower Mound, Friendswood, Haltom, Hendrickson, Berkner, Leander, Pflugerville, Richland, Spring, Stephen F. Austin, The Woodlands College Park, Vandegrift, and Winston Churchill. That's five measly spots for all of those awesome groups! As of right now 61 groups are attending, so the regional is nearly at full capacity. It should be a nail-biter. Any thoughts?

Edited by Rubisco

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so the way I see it at this point is there are 9 groups that I'd be very surprised to see out of finals. Those groups are: Cedar Park, Cedar Ridge, Claudia Taylor Johnson, Hebron, LD Bell, Marcus, Ronald Reagan, Round Rock, and The Woodlands. (Note, this is not necessarily the top 9.) This leaves 5 finals spots for a whole slew of outstanding groups that includes: Anderson, Flower Mound, Friendswood, Haltom, Hendrickson, Berkner, Leander, Pflugerville, Richland, Spring, Stephen F. Austin, The Woodlands College Park, Vandegrift, and Winston Churchill. That's five measly spots for all of those awesome groups! I think as of right now 60 groups are attending, so the regional is nearly at full capacity. It should be a nail-biter. Any thoughts?

Ohhh, this contest drives me mad! :P I always leave thinking...why? why just 14?? I think you're spot on with the ones you've chosen so far. I know I've made it clear that I like Haltom, a lot. They don't seem to break the glass ceiling of BOA, though. Not sure why. Last year's show was chill-bump moving. Anyway, because of that whole thing of them rarely making finals, I won't put them in the last five(but I'll still hope for them. I like underdogs). ^_^ So Flower Mound is pretty fantastic and Richland has definitely made it before and their show is coolio. Crabapples. This is HARD! Okay. *covers eyes and peeks through fingers* Keller, Vandegrift, James Martin, Flower Mound, Richland, and wishful thinking for Haltom. (yes, I know that's six when I wishful ninja sneak in Haltom. Too bad!) :ph34r: Plus, the nine you listed that I previously agreed with up there ^^

My apologies to the other fabulous bands going to BOA SA that I haven't seen and therefore didn't pick. I'm sure everyone is incredible and wonderful! Good luck to you all. I will be there biting nails and crossing fingers, most likely not at the same time. :unsure:

EDIT: I should note that I haven't seen LD Bell's show yet, either, but unless they come out and crawl around on the ground for 8 minutes and never play their instruments, I'm sure it's going to be in the top 14, both on my silly lil list and the actual one that counts. ;)

Edited by TXMarchingMadness87654

Cedar Park, Cedar Ridge, Claudia Taylor Johnson, Hebron, LD Bell, Marcus, Ronald Reagan, Round Rock, and The Woodlands.

I don't think I would put Cedar Ridge in locks just yet, I've seen their show, I loved it, but it kinda stuck me as a show that will peak before SA, which will hurt them. Are they a bubble band in my opinion? Oh yes, one of the strongest. And I can't wait to see them again!

Anderson, Flower Mound, Friendswood, Haltom, Hendrickson, Berkner, Leander, Pflugerville, Richland, Spring, Stephen F. Austin, The Woodlands College Park, Vandegrift, and Winston Churchill

There are so many good bands in this bubble! I think Spring will be higher in the bubble and I'm a little hesitant to put SFA in it at all, their show needs some major improvements. I don't know if their new directors are up to the task, the kids definitely are, but unfortunately the kids don't make design decisions. Oh and College Park.. that's an interesting one. They do so well in BOA Conroe then fall a little flat at LSP. Yes, they did get the same placement at both (I believe) but I expected them to ride a wave to a higher placement. TWCP, like all the bands on these lists need to CLEAN. I do have TWCP for a strong bubble band though. Can't wait til SA!

Okay, I've just watched the most recent videos available of all the bubble bands except Spring. I couldn't find any videos of Spring, so I'll have to leave them out for now. Here are my current predictions for finalists (subject to change at any moment, of course! ;) ) :

Anderson

Cedar Park

Cedar Ridge

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Flower Mound

Hebron

Hendrickson

L.D. Bell

Marcus

Ronald Reagan

Round Rock

The Woodlands

Vandegrift

Winston Churchill

The first thing many will notice is no SFA or Richland. I think this is a possibility. In fact, the bubble bands closest to making finals in my mind are Pflugerville, The Woodlands College Park, and Berkner, although all the groups have qualities that could help them make the cut. I'm wondering how Spring will fit in.

Among the nine that I had as locks/near-locks, I can see pockets forming. I think Hebron could challenge CTJ right outside of the top three, which I think will almost inevitably be L.D. Bell, Marcus, and The Woodlands in some order that I'm not ready to predict. Cedar Ridge should challenge Cedar Park for a placement that will probably be somewhere beneath CTJ and Hebron. Reagan and Round Rock are groups that could be potential foils to any group outside of the top 3. I'm not really sure where either will end up. There are so many different ways the judges could go at a competition this stacked.

Okay, I've just watched the most recent videos available of all the bubble bands except Spring. I couldn't find any videos of Spring, so I'll have to leave them out for now. Here are my current predictions for finalists (subject to change at any moment, of course! ;) ) :

Anderson

Cedar Park

Cedar Ridge

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Flower Mound

Hebron

Hendrickson

L.D. Bell

Marcus

Ronald Reagan

Round Rock

The Woodlands

Vandegrift

Winston Churchill

The first thing many will notice is no SFA or Richland. I think this is a possibility. In fact, the bubble bands closest to making finals in my mind are Pflugerville, The Woodlands College Park, and Berkner, although all the groups have qualities that could help them make the cut. I'm wondering how Spring will fit in.

Among the nine that I had as locks/near-locks, I can see pockets forming. I think Hebron could challenge CTJ right outside of the top three, which I think will almost inevitably be L.D. Bell, Marcus, and The Woodlands in some order that I'm not ready to predict. Cedar Ridge should challenge Cedar Park for a placement that will probably be somewhere beneath CTJ and Hebron. Reagan and Round Rock are groups that could be potential foils to any group outside of the top 3. I'm not really sure where either will end up. There are so many different ways the judges could go at a competition this stacked.

Where on earth did you find a recent video of Richland? That's my dept., and they're all private. :huh:

I havent heard anything about the James Bowie band, where have they been going? Was surprised to see that they were not attending BOA SA, Westlake, Cap city, vista ridge, or central Texas competitions.

I haven't seen James Bowie either. It's my understanding that they're going to Grand Nats and, aside from UIL, that's it. Anyone heard differently?

I think the top 5 will look something like this:

1:Marcus/Bell-Same as usual, assuming Bell is as good as always.

2:Marcus/Bell

3:The Woodlands-Don't think they'll beat Bell or Marcus, but they're at a different level compared to anyone else as far as BOA is concerned in my opinion. I don't think anyone other than Bell & Marcus can touch them.

It's a shame Bowie isn't competing at this one. Excited about Grand Nats for them though! ;)

4:CTJ/Hebron-If Hebron gets rid of their timing issues and doesn't fall prey to the Alamodome echo, they have a chance of pulling off 4th. But most likely, CTJ will finish 4th and Hebron 5th. CTJ is just so good. Either way, this might be a close one. Might. This is also assuming a band doesn't come out of nowhere and jump into the top 5.

5:CTJ/Hebron

Other bands I think will make finals, but can't really guess what they'll place:

Cedar Park-They perform like a top 5 band for sure. If this was UIL and Cedar Park was 5A, I would have them in 3rd. I just think general effect might hurt them. I still expect them to do extremely well, because they perform their show at such a high level.

Reagan-After Conroe, I'm going to assume Reagan will get a pretty nice score in the general effect category. I still think their show could be cleaner, but they are well on their way to doing very well at this competition.

Flower Mound-Their guard is great, they execute their show well, and they sound good. I would be quite shocked not to see this group in finals. I expect them to make the top ten like last year.

Round Rock-5 words: INSANE drumline and incredible guard. They'll do well again this year. These guys might become regulars in finals for the next few years at least.

Churchill-I admit I haven't seen them this year, but I trust they'll make it. Recently I don't feel like these guys have been getting the credit they deserve. Great band that knows how to march and play very well.

Cedar Ridge?!?-I haven't seen these guys either, but if what everyone is saying about them is true, then this band is potentially a force to be reckoned with at this competition. We'll see in 3 weeks, but if they do come through, then man! Talk about coming out of nowhere super fast!

Berkner-I don't think BOA Denton even remotely reflected how this band will do. I'm going to assume that by the time BOASA comes around, they'll be ready to come to the Alamodome swinging as always.

Richland-Again, haven't seen them. But I think they'll do well once again this year. I've heard good things about them, but again, I haven't actually seen them.

Vandergrift-I think it's finally their year. They did exceptionally well at Denton. I'll be pulling for them!

For the sake of not taking up an entire webpage, here's the other bands I think are on the bubble and have a legitimate shot and deserve some serious attention:

SFA, Spring, Plano East, Anderson, Pflugerville, Hendrickson, Coppell, Leander, College Park, Westlake, Haltom, Martin, Sandra Day O'Conner, Brazoswood, and Mansfield. Too many good bands for the number of finals spots. It's a shame.

Good luck to everyone competing at this contest! It will be a fantastic one!

Okay, I'm going to try to attach numbers to my finalist bands. I'm still waiting to see L.D. Bell and Spring, but for right now this is probably the best I can come up with:

1st-2nd The Woodlands

1st-3rd L.D. Bell

2nd-3rd Marcus

4th Claudia Taylor Johnson

5th Round Rock

6th Hebron

7th Ronald Reagan

8th Cedar Ridge

9th Cedar Park

10th Vandegrift

11th Flower Mound

12th Winston Churchill

13th Hendrickson

14th Anderson

Hebron is really going to have to get the timing down on their really difficult music if they want to place 6th or higher. There are several fine groups biting at their heels, and loads of phasing isn't going to help them fend these groups off. Their sound could also be a bit meatier in parts.

Round Rock just blew me away in the most recent video of them that I saw. I wouldn't be surprised if they sneak into the top 5, especially after their success last year. I think this is a national finalist group waiting to happen.

At the very top, I'm thinking The Woodlands ahead of Marcus, although I'll need to see them side by side to be really sure. If this competition weren't in early November, I'd lean toward Marcus, but The Woodlands is always leaps and bounds better by late season, and this year they were stellar early season. L.D. Bell is, of course, the wild card in the top 3. I'm excited to see L.D. Bell's show from high up, especially since Wes Cartwright has left. The general feel of their show didn't seem much different than usual based on the crappy, field-level video that was circulating.

Here's another data point......results from Birdville competition:

http://whsband.squarespace.com/storage/201...ISD%20Recap.pdf

Thanks for that info..very interesting. I missed this show but had already seen many of these shows a few times. The Hebron people must have been very disappointed in that result (as disappointed as you can be finishing second). I know that their was a lot of optimism within that community after finishing 2nd to Marcus by 1/2 point at the PESH contest.

It was also interesting to see Keller score as high as they did. As has been said many times, Area B is going to be crazy competitive for what will likely be 2 spots for state.

My understanding is that Marcus played their 3rd set at Birdville. I'd be interested in some feedback from anyone that was there. Obviously, it must have gone well for them to score as high as they did.

My understanding is that Marcus played their 3rd set at Birdville.

According to the youtube videos that I have seen of Marcus' Birdville performance, they played the same three parts (Toccata, Fugue, Air on G) and ended the show there just as they did at BOA Denton and PESH.

I think the top 5 will look something like this:

1:Marcus/Bell-Same as usual, assuming Bell is as good as always.

2:Marcus/Bell

3:The Woodlands-Don't think they'll beat Bell or Marcus, but they're at a different level compared to anyone else as far as BOA is concerned in my opinion. I don't think anyone other than Bell & Marcus can touch them.

It's a shame Bowie isn't competing at this one. Excited about Grand Nats for them though! ;)

4:CTJ/Hebron-If Hebron gets rid of their timing issues and doesn't fall prey to the Alamodome echo, they have a chance of pulling off 4th. But most likely, CTJ will finish 4th and Hebron 5th. CTJ is just so good. Either way, this might be a close one. Might. This is also assuming a band doesn't come out of nowhere and jump into the top 5.

5:CTJ/Hebron

Other bands I think will make finals, but can't really guess what they'll place:

Cedar Park-They perform like a top 5 band for sure. If this was UIL and Cedar Park was 5A, I would have them in 3rd. I just think general effect might hurt them. I still expect them to do extremely well, because they perform their show at such a high level.

Reagan-After Conroe, I'm going to assume Reagan will get a pretty nice score in the general effect category. I still think their show could be cleaner, but they are well on their way to doing very well at this competition.

Flower Mound-Their guard is great, they execute their show well, and they sound good. I would be quite shocked not to see this group in finals. I expect them to make the top ten like last year.

Round Rock-5 words: INSANE drumline and incredible guard. They'll do well again this year. These guys might become regulars in finals for the next few years at least.

Churchill-I admit I haven't seen them this year, but I trust they'll make it. Recently I don't feel like these guys have been getting the credit they deserve. Great band that knows how to march and play very well.

Cedar Ridge?!?-I haven't seen these guys either, but if what everyone is saying about them is true, then this band is potentially a force to be reckoned with at this competition. We'll see in 3 weeks, but if they do come through, then man! Talk about coming out of nowhere super fast!

Berkner-I don't think BOA Denton even remotely reflected how this band will do. I'm going to assume that by the time BOASA comes around, they'll be ready to come to the Alamodome swinging as always.

Richland-Again, haven't seen them. But I think they'll do well once again this year. I've heard good things about them, but again, I haven't actually seen them.

Vandergrift-I think it's finally their year. They did exceptionally well at Denton. I'll be pulling for them!

For the sake of not taking up an entire webpage, here's the other bands I think are on the bubble and have a legitimate shot and deserve some serious attention:

SFA, Spring, Plano East, Anderson, Pflugerville, Hendrickson, Coppell, Leander, College Park, Westlake, Haltom, Martin, Sandra Day O'Conner, Brazoswood, and Mansfield. Too many good bands for the number of finals spots. It's a shame.

Good luck to everyone competing at this contest! It will be a fantastic one!

This post just about sums BOA SA for me: too many good bands for too few finals spots. You listed a total of 29 bands that are all solid or potential finalists (which I'm quite honored to have my own school listed!) and I'm sure there's even a few more that could be considered bubble bands. When a competition has more than twice as many potential finalists as finals spots, you know it's stacked. I don't see how the judges will be able to narrow it down to just 14.

This post just about sums BOA SA for me: too many good bands for too few finals spots. You listed a total of 29 bands that are all solid or potential finalists (which I'm quite honored to have my own school listed!) and I'm sure there's even a few more that could be considered bubble bands. When a competition has more than twice as many potential finalists as finals spots, you know it's stacked. I don't see how the judges will be able to narrow it down to just 14.

Haven't seen your show yet this year, but O'Connor always puts out a fine show, worthy of recognition & praise! Good luck to you!!! See you at BOA SA. :)

I was at the Birdville band contest. Marcus was one of the few who had to perform with some rain(wasn't too bad). I, too, can't wait to see how they finish the show or what they add to it. Was also bummed that there was no finals, again this year. :( I'm a band nut. I like seeing shows again and again. Was looking forward to seeing Wakeland again with their falling woodwinds! Anyway, I agree with the judging of that contest. I know one of the judges there is judging at Area B this year. I'm not sure which one. All UIL will be crazy good this year, as well as BOA SA. Good luck to all!

Edited by TXMarchingMadness87654

Here's another data point......results from Birdville competition:

http://whsband.squarespace.com/storage/201...ISD%20Recap.pdf

An interesting thing about that competition, too, is that Mansfield had left to go to another competition. I read on one of the forums here that they were planning on trying to make both finals. However, when finals were announced at Birdville, Mansfield was not included. I know because I have a family member with a band student at Northwest and they were excited about making finals(believing they were 10th). They were actually 11th. :( Of course, there was no finals, but I still wonder if Mansfield was contacted and decided they wouldn't be able to make it back. Anyone know? Just curious. Really enjoyed their show, as well as the other ones I saw that day.

Here's a link to the finals that never happened: http://www.birdville.k12.tx.us/finearts/Ma...alsschedule.pdf

I just updated my initial post with the prelims performance schedule. Time to discuss blocks? Looks pretty spread out.

Edit: I'm thinking that judging BOA SA prelims has to be the single most daunting judging task in all of BOA. Even the two separate GN prelims days don't have 60+ groups! I could barely keep the 10 groups in BOA Conroe finals straight. I don't know how the judges manage 60, although I'm sure their main concern is getting the right 14 into finals. The other numbers might be a bit more arbitrary.

Edited by Rubisco

I just updated my initial post with the prelims performance schedule. Time to discuss blocks? Looks pretty spread out.

Edit: I'm thinking that judging BOA SA prelims has to be the single most daunting judging task in all of BOA. Even the two separate GN prelims days don't have 60+ groups! I could barely keep the 10 groups in BOA Conroe finals straight. I don't know how the judges manage 60, although I'm sure their main concern is getting the right 14 into finals. The other numbers might be a bit more arbitrary.

If BOA SA attendance continues at this pace, they may want to consider inserting a Semi-Finals category. I know this could be a logistics challenge for the bands, but there are just too many good ones who deserve a second look!