UIL Area predictions

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we have any area schedules yet?

I'm working at the Area D contest, and the schedule will come out Tuesday night. That's when the last region contest for our Area is. I've heard there will be as many as 39 bands going to Area D, so I'd say expect 7 finalists from Area D this year.

My own personal finalist predictions:

Bowie

CTJ

Round Rock

Westlake (They ALWAYS get in. Dunno why.)

Reagan

Anderson?

Cedar Ridge?

? = bubble bands, but the ones I hope make it :)

I'm working at the Area D contest, and the schedule will come out Tuesday night. That's when the last region contest for our Area is. I've heard there will be as many as 39 bands going to Area D, so I'd say expect 7 finalists from Area D this year.

Bowie

CTJ

Round Rock

Reagan

Anderson?

Cedar Ridge?

That means that one of the two school from Region 18 that made twos last year have to make ones. It seems more likely for them to take 6.

Bowie

CTJ

Round Rock

Reagan

Anderson?

Cedar Ridge?

Sweet! ill be there! im good friends with the pit techs at Westwood, McNeil, Vandigrift, and Round Rock! So ill come support my friends bands!

I agree Lake Travis is still very much a contender for state. However I wouldn't count out Hendrickson or Cedar Ridge beating them in a spot, especially since Hendrickson has scored higher than them both visually and musically at two consecutive contests now which is the opposite of last year....

Either way Area D is always rough but exciting! ;)

Sorry, i'm kind of new at this, but i had a question.

If bands if Region XY were to advance to Area, would those bands compete against only bands in their region?

No. For example, say Area Z is made up of region 1, 2, and 3. If a band from region 1 advances to area contest at area z, they will be competing for a spot in state against not only the rest of the region 1 bands that advanced to area, but also the other bands from region 2 and 3 that advanced to area as well.

Edited by BOAfanatic

Sorry, i'm kind of new at this, but i had a question.

If bands if Region XY were to advance to Area, would those bands compete against only bands in their region?

An "area" is made up of multiple "regions". Most areas are made up of four regions, but one area has five regions and one area has three regions. So the Area Competitions are comprised of bands from multiple regions. Bands competing at the Area Competitions do compete with bands from their own region (if those bands have advanced to the area round) but not exclusively with bands from their own region, as bands from other regions are present at the Area Competition.

Also the following link has some handy maps and breakdowns of which regions go to which areas:

Region Alignment

I hope that cleared some things up :)

Area G in 5A is gonna be a tight race this year.....

Finalist Guesses:

Harlingen

O'Connor

Donna

Hanna

Lopez

San Benito

Laredo United

Harlingen South

Pace

Brandeis

State Guesses:

Harlingen

O'Connor

Donna

Lopez

Hanna

San Benito

Laredo United

Do you honestly think this is Laredo United's year

Bowie

CTJ

Round Rock

Reagan

Anderson?

Cedar Ridge?

Not to mention that they've made state finals the last two times in a row! They're a quality problem that people tend to underestimate because they don't do BOA much anymore. I'm expecting good things from them as always.

Not to mention that they've made state finals the last two times in a row! They're a quality problem that people tend to underestimate because they don't do BOA much anymore. I'm expecting good things from them as always.

As I mentioned before Area D is so hard. Westlake is about as good this year as the usually are but, I cannot say that that will get them into state this time around. I mean, so many new and arising programs are pushing for those spots such as Hendrickson, Lake Travis, and Cedar Ridge. I also discussed Lake Travis and I honestly cannot see them missing. The show might be a little duller than last year but the improvement week to week is really amazing and wow, they surely have a state sound. My updated Area D Predictions are these:

1. Bowie
  2. Claudia Taylor Johnson
  3. Lake Travis/ Ronald Reagan
  4. Lake Travis/ Ronald Reagan
  5. Cedar Ridge
  6. Round Rock
  7. Westlake
  8. Hendrickson
  9. Anderson
  10. Churchill

Supposedly Round Rock performs first at Area. That is a lot of bands- almost Super Regional big. I wonder if that will make any surprising twists. I really hope they take seven! Good luck Austin bands!

I got a chance to catch Westlake at the Vista Ridge competition and they're definitely in the conversation for advancing to the State Marching Contest. However, with the talent that's getting exceptionally stronger throughout the state, I'd say finals will be a bit harder for the Chaparrals. I think they could potentially make some noise again at BOA San Antonio though. Their show is very well-played with strong effect in a way reminiscent of their 2008 show which took them to finals twice in San Antonio that year.

As I mentioned before Area D is so hard. Westlake is about as good this year as the usually are but, I cannot say that that will get them into state this time around. I mean, so many new and arising programs are pushing for those spots such as Hendrickson, Lake Travis, and Cedar Ridge. I also discussed Lake Travis and I honestly cannot see them missing. The show might be a little duller than last year but the improvement week to week is really amazing and wow, they surely have a state sound. My updated Area D Predictions are these:
  1. Bowie
  2. Claudia Taylor Johnson
  3. Lake Travis/ Ronald Reagan
  4. Lake Travis/ Ronald Reagan
  5. Cedar Ridge
  6. Round Rock
  7. Westlake
  8. Hendrickson
  9. Anderson
  10. Churchill

Supposedly Round Rock performs first at Area. That is a lot of bands- almost Super Regional big. I wonder if that will make any surprising twists. I really hope they take seven! Good luck Austin bands!

Congratulations to Hendrickson for being right in the mix of Area D after moving up from 4A! After seeing some of these 5A bands at Westlake, I don't think LT will be that high up in the pack, though, but they may prove me wrong.

(Westlake Festival Results:

1- Round Rock

2- Dripping Springs

3- Anderson

4-Sandra Day O'Connor

5-Hendrickson

6-Vista Ridge

7-Judson

8-Lake Travis

9-Conally

10-Wagner

11-New Braunfels

Congratulations to Hendrickson for being right in the mix of Area D after moving up from 4A! After seeing some of these 5A bands at Westlake, I don't think LT will be that high up in the pack, though, but they may prove me wrong.

(Westlake Festival Results:

1- Round Rock

2- Dripping Springs

3- Anderson

4-Sandra Day O'Connor

5-Hendrickson

6-Vista Ridge

7-Judson

8-Lake Travis

9-Conally

10-Wagner

11-New Braunfels

I have seen these scores and I feel like the competition just isn't a good representation of UIL of BOA Scoring. I could be very wrong but I bet some heads will turn in six days. :)

Personally, I can't see Lake Travis placing ahead of Round Rock. But then again Cedar Park got 9th or 10th in Area D Prelims last year...so you never know at these things.

1. Bowie

2. CTJ

3. Round Rock

4. Reagan

5. Cedar Ridge

6. Lake Travis

7. Anderson

8. Westlake

9. Churchill

10. Hendrickson

I would be way more sure of these if this was a BOA contest, but its hard to tell what shows will do well in UIL until after these area contests!

Edited by mellopwn1

And why are you saying this?

They just consistently don't match anything. I am not saying it in a bad way- it is just another way of judging that isn't seen often. I have seen almost all of those shows and would just say that it doesn't convert to a UIL scale. Remember- UIL is all about musicality and clean drill. From what I heard the Region 26 judges absolutely agreed with Lake Travis' performance too. I am certainly lot undermining any other accomplishments. There are just so many ways to enjoy a show and some excel in other aspects. This is coming from a spectator- mind you, am educated one who has seen so many of these shows live an on more than one occasion.

Grulla could be a surprise Area E finalist and even state qualifier. They came out on top of Hidalgo last weekend at City of Palms. Earlier in the season they came in 4th out of 21 bands overall at the PSJA contest, on top of all but two 5A bands (Harlingen and San Benito) and a 4A (Rio Grande City). I think their chances will really depend on how many Area E will be sending to state, though.

I strongly believe that Grulla, Port Isabel, Rio Hondo, Kingsville H.M. King & Fredericksburg will advance To State!

They just consistently don't match anything. I am not saying it in a bad way- it is just another way of judging that isn't seen often. I have seen almost all of those shows and would just say that it doesn't convert to a UIL scale. Remember- UIL is all about musicality and clean drill. From what I heard the Region 26 judges absolutely agreed with Lake Travis' performance too. I am certainly lot undermining any other accomplishments. There are just so many ways to enjoy a show and some excel in other aspects. This is coming from a spectator- mind you, am educated one who has seen so many of these shows live an on more than one occasion.

Yes I understand what UIL looks for, and honestly it doesn't matter what "type" of show you have or if it "converts" to UIL or not. If you can play your music sonorously and march super clean then you're in the ballpark. I mean look at LD Bell for example, they have shows some years that you wonder how it will fare with the UIL judges but it doesn't matter because they play clean and march clean. And I may inform you that I am educated on these shows as well as I have seen all of them more than once.

Ah yes, classic Area D. It seems every time a few bands drop down to 4A, only to be replaced by even better upcoming schools.

I honestly don't think there are many locks in this contest, especially considering the lack of head to head results between the schools. So i'm just gonna do in order of my confidence of advancing

Bowie

CTJ

Round Rock

Reagan

Westlake (when was the last time they missed state??)

Cedar Ridge

Anderson

Churchill (how can everyone forget Churchill?)

Hendrickson

Lake Travis (not as hot as last year, but still a strong program)

Pflugerville

What a mess...yeah, that was 11 bands...so what?

CTJ dropped to 4a this year. they annouced 4A at Uil Region 12. I also see Judson jumping up in finals next to Lake Travis. they managed to steal a spot infront of Lake Travis at Westlake in Pre-lims and Finals.

I got a chance to catch Westlake at the Vista Ridge competition and they're definitely in the conversation for advancing to the State Marching Contest. However, with the talent that's getting exceptionally stronger throughout the state, I'd say finals will be a bit harder for the Chaparrals. I think they could potentially make some noise again at BOA San Antonio though. Their show is very well-played with strong effect in a way reminiscent of their 2008 show which took them to finals twice in San Antonio that year.

I agree that they're not surefire finalists, but I remember this same argument coming up two years ago. They may not be the flashiest group, but they know how to peak at the right time. Who knows. And with a group of 7 advancing from area D, I'd be pretty shocked if they weren't one of those groups. I could even see them finishing as high as third depending on the panel.

Edited by Donezo

I agree that they're not surefire finalists, but I remember this same argument coming up two years ago. They may not be the flashiest group, but they know how to peak at the right time. Who knows. And with a group of 7 advancing from area D, I'd be pretty shocked if they weren't one of those groups. I could even see them finishing as high as third depending on the panel.

I completely agree with this. Westlake doesn't compete much before UIL gets going...if at all. And they really don't need to. They have a system that just flat out works, and I don't see them changing that until something goes wrong. Are they flashy? No. They rarely stand out as the most entertaining band in this area...are they good? Heck yeah. They know their strengths and they play to them.