Hey everybody. I'm a baritone player for my high school marching band. I hope all of you forum veterans don't mind a newbie like me posting :)

I've been doing some research around the TxBands and Music for All forums and I'm wondering why the BOA La Joya regional was cancelled a couple of years back. Band programs in the Rio Grande Valley area, I believe, are often not given the attention they deserve due to not being able to afford or travel to the regionals in Conroe and Arlington and the Super Regional in SA. Hosting a regional in South Texas would let some of the Valley bands experience what it's like to perform on the BOA stage and experience retreat for the first time.

What are your thoughts?

I checked the recaps for the 2005 La Joya Regional (which was actually held). On first reaction I wanted to say that they never brought the regional back after that because there wasn't enough interest, but 23 bands participated in prelims....that's more than enough. BOA holds regionals in the NE with sometimes only 15 or 16 bands. My only other guess is that maybe they didn't find it cost effective to hold 4 regionals in the same state. To be fair, most of the bands that competed that year DO compete annually at San Antonio, so they aren't in need of a 2nd regional.

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, welcome to TxBands! We don't get to many kids from South Texas posting on here anymore but we are glad to have you.

Well having competed in the La Joya regional twice, I can definitely say it was a couple different factors.

The BOA entry fees are usually higher than other local contests which led to a lack of interest in this particular regional. There was another regional scheduled for 2006 in Donna but those were some of the reasons it was cancelled.

As for retreat, at our region 15/28 contest, there is a full retreat/pass in review and all the division announcements are read. It is much like the BOA retreat but there is a little bit more pageantry involved.

Hope this helps!

Hey everybody. I'm a baritone player for my high school marching band. I hope all of you forum veterans don't mind a newbie like me posting. :)

This is depressing. Back when this site first started, most of the people who posted were members of Texas HS bands with only a few older alumni from the MFA/BOA forums who would lurk and post every so often. Now most of those original users have become alumni and the site hasn't gained a whole lot of regular new blood to fill in the student userbase.

By all means, if you're a high school band kid who's band director hasn't forbade you from posting on internet forums/Youtube videos (and there are many who have--for good reason), PLEASE POST IN THESE FORUMS! We need more of you. As long as you're humble, mature and don't trash talk other bands, nobody's going to jump on you for not being "up" on the lingo and know-how of band culture in the state that the regulars tend to toss around. They might correct you on inaccuracies, but you'll learn something in the process.

Thanks for being so welcoming, everybody. I've been posting regularly on the MFA and TxBands forums just to kill some time during these mellow days of concert season. I'm glad to know that people are willing to listen. Being a freshman in band has been a very rewarding experience so far. I'm excited for everything that's waiting for me in the future (STATE 2012!).

UIL? Pageantry? What?! ;)

Yeah, haha, I know how it sounds, but the Region 15/28 UIL contests truly are an event that the entire community comes out to support.

At the end of the contest all competing bands come out on the field for retreat. There are 20-ish bands that are on the field at the same time. It really is something to see.