4A State Results Discussion

Congrats to all of the bands that participated in this year's 4A competition. They were all great performances! Borrowing from our friends at BOA, all the schools are 'winners in life'!

Make sure to come back for the live-blogging action during Grand Nationals this weekend!

Place Band Britt Francis Shine Bearden Toups Composite

1 Cedar Park HS, Cedar Park 1 1 3 2 1 8

2 Dripping Springs H S, Dripping Springs 4 2 1 1 3 11

3 Centennial HS, Frisco 2 4 5 3 6 20

4 Friendswood H S, Friendswood 5 3 2 4 9 23

5 Lake Travis H S, Austin 3 9 8 6 2 28

6 Waxahachie HS, Waxahachie 7 7 4 8 4 30

7 Wakeland HS, Frisco 10 5 6 9 5 35

8 Dawson HS, Pearland 6 8 7 7 8 36

9 Vandegrift H S, Austin 8 6 9 5 10 38

10 Sherman H S, Sherman 9 10 10 10 7 46

Please consider to DONATE and Like us! on Facebook! We run off of your support and spare change we find in the Alamodome Concourse during the prelims/finals break.

Tough break for Wakeland and Vandergrift, both probably believed they had a run in them to move up. Still a state final appearance is nothing to be ashamed of. And congrats to Centennial for the medal, Dripping Springs for another amazing performance and of course Cedar Park who just put up a show of a lifetime.

Edited by the terminator

"They were who we thought they were"

After all the debate and discussion about whether this band was gonna be able to run away with this contest early in the season, Cedar Park takes care of business and wins their second state title. Can we just let them compete at the 5A contest next year??

Congrats to all the bands, finalists and medalists of course! What a night! Amazed we didn't crash the server with all that tension and excitement :D

Anyone catch TXBand's picture on the main page banner this week was CP's 2001 State Championship trophy?.. and now its a picture of a CP uniform wearing a gold medal. :)

Hey now, Poteet didn't miss taking that gold by much that year....(I was in 8th grade that year)

Edited by TxRaider13

What ever happened to Poteet? They were a power house when I was in high school, which was just 05-09

They still are, just had a UIL rule violated and they had to forfiet state to the alternate Forney... They still did well this year, finished 2nd at Area C to Waxahachie. They also had a director change for the first time in school history, and it was the biggest two they had in Coulson, and Davis. But they will be back in 2013 and I don't expect them to ever make a mistake like this year again

They still are, just had a UIL rule violated and they had to forfiet state to the alternate Forney... They still did well this year, finished 2nd at Area C to Waxahachie. They also had a director change for the first time in school history, and it was the biggest two they had in Coulson, and Davis. But they will be back in 2013 and I don't expect them to ever make a mistake like this year again

Wow, that's terrible. :/ Well good to hear they're still up there.

Hey now, Poteet didn't miss taking that gold by much that year....(I was in 8th grade that year)

Not true! CP almost swept, and the other 1st went to 6th place Belton. Poteet barely edged out Grapevine for 2nd.

Anyway, fabulous performance by Cedar Park and a well deserved victory! I am also thrilled for Centennial, who really stepped it up and had a fantastic finals run. I thought it would be enough for silver, but DS put up a great fight. I am also pleased for Friendswood, who I knew would peak at the right time and be in the mix at the end.

I actually thought Wakeland and Vendegrift were a bit better in finals, but I was also shocked by their very high prelims placements. I was definitely more in line with the finals judges this time around.

Fantastic contest! One of the best 4A states ever!

Cedar Park and Dripping Springs were the class of the event and definitely deserved their final spots. It did seem like bands that moved up in finals were more "play loud and stand still" instead of playing and marching a lot at the same time.

Why does UIL not institute some type of "difficulty of show" factor into scoring? It seems like the current system (at least tonight) rewards you doing an easier show really well versus a hard show to play and march well. Kind of like Texas having the issue right now with AP classses - colleges want a non-weighted GPA, and having that harder class possibly hurt your GPA becomes a negative because you want to challenge yourself.

Not true! CP almost swept, and the other 1st went to 6th place Belton. Poteet barely edged out Grapevine for 2nd.

Fantastic contest! One of the best 4A states ever!

2nd to Cedar Park is close, because that night was just like tonight......Amazing by Cedar Park!!! Great job to everyone this was a great contest

Edited by TxRaider13

Cedar Park and Dripping Springs were the class of the event and definitely deserved their final spots. It did seem like bands that moved up in finals were more "play loud and stand still" instead of playing and marching a lot at the same time.

Why does UIL not institute some type of "difficulty of show" factor into scoring? It seems like the current system (at least tonight) rewards you doing an easier show really well versus a hard show to play and march well. Kind of like Texas having the issue right now with AP classses - colleges want a non-weighted GPA, and having that harder class possibly hurt your GPA becomes a negative because you want to challenge yourself.

Difficulty is a factor on the UIL sheets, and I think it was applied more appropriately in finals than in prelims. I certainly wouldn't put Centennial or Friendswood in the "play loud and stand still" category. In fact, I think both were in the same league as Dripping Springs.