Which DCI Finals was better?

bchorn

I want to buy a blu-ray of the DCI finals and need helping picking a year. I saw 2009 in the theaters but missed 2010 because of satellite issues in my theater. So if you had to pick between the two years (2009 and 2010), which one would you get?

The sattelite thing happened at my theater too! Luckily there was another one nearby that we went and just missed the first 3 or 4 corps. And IMO, 2010 has overall better shows, especially Cavaliers and Bluecoats. But BD and Carolina Crown had rather boring shows in 2010, their shows are better in 09.

All that's from a show concept and design viewpoint, ie which show looks pretty.

The sattelite thing happened at my theater too! Luckily there was another one nearby that we went and just missed the first 3 or 4 corps. And IMO, 2010 has overall better shows, especially Cavaliers and Bluecoats. But BD and Carolina Crown had rather boring shows in 2010, their shows are better in 09.

All that's from a show concept and design viewpoint, ie which show looks pretty.

I recently just rediscovered the Carolina Crown 09 show and would love to hear that in blu-ray quality sound. I am just not a big fan of the blue devils show that year. of course, i haven't seen anything from 2010. thanks for you comments.

Blue Stars and Crown were the only 2 shows that I really enjoyed immensly this summer. I feel electronics was a bad move for Drum Corps, and would guess that the '09 season was better mainly for this reason, though I can't say for sure because I didn't watch very many shows from last year :/.

Better this year with the top 3 except Blue Devils. If you want Cavs, Blucoats or Phantom I say 2010. If you want Blue Devils, Cadets, or Crown go with 2009.

I would disagree with Crown in '09. The Grass is Always Greener has some very shaky parts visually, compared to this year. The music may not be a fan favorite, but performance-wise, I'd stick with 2010.

Also as for other corps: I would have to say I thoroughly enjoyed Bluecoats show this year, I loved the theme, coupled with the dark music and some pretty cool effects overall. I don't favor the use of electronics so much but they integrated the sounds pretty well to fit the show.

BD: Pretty close. I liked 2009's "1930" a little more though.

Cadets: 2009.

Cavvies: Wow. This 2010 show is outstanding, I enjoyed every part of this show, I'd have to say 2010.

Phantom: Definitely loved their show, beautiful as ever, and the ensemble sound is fantastic.

Yes to both of those

You gotta love old school DCI, when you get real old school, you get the classic concert session in the middle of the show.

One of the ladies that goes to my church was actually a color guard instructor for the Troopers in the 70s, so she's told me a lot of stories about the REALLY old school DCI. Like the years of "Camptown Races" and "Oh Suzanna".

Haha, it's amazing who you meet when you volunteer for VBS :)

One of the ladies that goes to my church was actually a color guard instructor for the Troopers in the 70s, so she's told me a lot of stories about the REALLY old school DCI. Like the years of "Camptown Races" and "Oh Suzanna".

Haha, it's amazing who you meet when you volunteer for VBS :)

My first year of DCI one brass tech was a skyrider, and percussion tech was first year Glassmen. I like the low to the ground marching people in kilts, thats hot stuff. I remember 05 at the airport sitting next to a Star of Indiana group on the plane home. They had some really cool stories

I would disagree with Crown in '09. The Grass is Always Greener has some very shaky parts visually, compared to this year. The music may not be a fan favorite, but performance-wise, I'd stick with 2010.

Also as for other corps: I would have to say I thoroughly enjoyed Bluecoats show this year, I loved the theme, coupled with the dark music and some pretty cool effects overall. I don't favor the use of electronics so much but they integrated the sounds pretty well to fit the show.

BD: Pretty close. I liked 2009's "1930" a little more though.

Cadets: 2009.

Cavvies: Wow. This 2010 show is outstanding, I enjoyed every part of this show, I'd have to say 2010.

Phantom: Definitely loved their show, beautiful as ever, and the ensemble sound is fantastic.

You should know K3v1n, if I had Crown's performance recording from this year, I would be able to judge which is better. You should really send it to me so I can hear just how good it is, lol.

You should know K3v1n, if I had Crown's performance recording from this year, I would be able to judge which is better. You should really send it to me so I can hear just how good it is, lol.

Well the DVDs that I ordered just came in recently, and I held a "watching-party" this past Saturday to watch the shows. Carolina Crown definitely is better this year, and I finally get the theme of their show, "A 2econd Chance". It truly is quite amazing, especially that brass sound. Crown is known for their incredible brass line and this year once again proves just how good they can be. I really enjoyed the fact that they switched to brass-colored instruments rather than the typical and expected silver-plated instruments, it changes the ensemble sound to some degree, of which it is audible and pleasing rather than intangible or "whiny" as one might expect.

-Oh and one the note of BD: THAT BRASS! I can't believe how good they sound. I am not a fan of the Blue Devils' show's, particularly in recent years, but I must say that they won for a reason, in my opinion, it would have been for brass sound, though they also topped CG, and visuals, and again I did enjoy "1930" more as a show, in fact the only one in the past 4 years I have really liked.

-And congrats to Phantom for having a whole drumline sound like ONE freakin' person, and that beautiful show!

Buy the 1980 Finals instead - assuming it is still available. I don't know if DCI is still selling those videos, but if they are, buy those instead.

The 1980 finals featured classic performances by BD, 27th, Spirit and Bridgemen. I would honestly rather watch any of those shows, than any drum corps show I have watched for the past 2 seasons.