2010 BOA The Woodlands

takigan

Texas has some great programs but to say that we have the best programs just because a Louisiana band finished last in a Texas Regional is a little too broad. As far as I can remember, this was probably their first BOA contest in a long time. We often forget how intimidating the first experience can be.

I have dealt with a few programs this year that were going to their first contest in the history of their school. There was even a program or two that had been around for awhile but were giving a BOA/USSBA show a try for their first time. It is so heart-wrenching to watch some students get so nervous that they become physically ill.

I'm wondering when people will learn that, in the long run, the placements just aren't as important as we think they are.

I'm just using my experience with out of state schools. They seem to not place well here for some reason, but I do think if the young adults and teens are happy, that they just performed the best they could on that day then that was great day and no result should take that away from the students. Plus its always fun when a school from another state comes here, because as a fan and now a parent I always stand up and clap for those students that came to TEXAS to compete with our schools. EX: Plano East a few years ago the school from Arkansas came and recieved the biggest applause the entire day/night from all the fans, and even us, the bands they were going up against, because we enjoyed seeing a band come so far and play the best they could on that day

Edited by TxRaider13

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just using my experience with out of state schools. They seem to not place well here for some reason, but I do think if the young adults and teens are happy, that they just performed the best they could on that day then that was great day and no result should take that away from the students

Tell that to Carmel HS from Indiana. They came down to the 2002 BOA San Antonio and won in Finals.

Tell that to Carmel HS from Indiana. They came down to the 2002 BOA San Antonio and won in Finals.

Well I will be honest, I have never been to a BOA contest untill this year, so all my out of state schools have been under the UIL format. And thats cool that Carmel came and kicked our butt in our state, but who won GN that year? Again sorry, I have only started watching and understanding BOA this year so its not something I'm well rounded in. My wheel house is Area C, and 4A/5A state

Bands like Carmel and Owasso, who aren't from the state, but competed and pwned here are outliers no? I mean I could see why the kid would say that the bands that compete against us from surrounding states aren't always at the same level, not to say that Texas hands down has the best bands because there are bands in other places that are better. We probably do have the largest concentration of good bands.

On a random note, did TWHS have a director change? Their show seems pretty different from most of the shows I've seen from them.

Yes, one of the assistants moved up to fill the head director position.

According to their website, there are also two new assistant directors and a new guard director.

After watching a few of the shows on the fan network today:

I totally agree with whitewing though...it's definitely not the usual product. I LOVE IT though! I can't think of too many other bands that could pull off Pictures as well as them. I can't wait to see how they do later in the season at SA and State.

SFA dazzles as usual with a fantastic Romeo & Juliet. The timing on the hard rhythmic sections was impeccable. I found it rather top heavy though. It seemed that all the depth of the chords was coming from the synth. They will do well in Indy and probably state too, I think.

Cedar Park was, as tacky as it is to say, GENIUS. Their brass never fails to impress. I hope these guys can make finals in Indy.

Vandegrift wasn't my favorite. I REALLY don't like Ballet for Martha, but they performed it well and marched well. I'm not putting down their hard work but I just don't enjoy their size, drill, or music selection. The execution was all there and showed in the score, as was shown in the scores. I hope to see great things from these guys in coming years, though! :D

Edited by mellopwn1

Do people have to be negative towards other schools? If you don't like the show or something about it, then don't say anything, those kids deserve the respect of positive input. For the past 8yrs I have listened and read judges comments and none of them just RIP the bands performance, they are all positive with input on where to improve. Can people please either shut it, or give postive feed back with areas they would like to see improved please.

Having seen vandegrift a week ago at arlington, I find it a little hard to believe that they got 3rd at Houston beating amazing programs like Reagan or The Woodlands. It was a good show, but it's really shocking. I don't get it, but then again, I wasn't there

Being there wouldn't have made it any more believable. I was there and that score made no sense to anybody but Vandegrift. There's no way they beat out the Johnson, Churchill, The Woodlands, etc. But then, BOA scoring never makes total sense. Oh well, Vandegrift got a gift, that's for sure.

Edited by mawasa

Or Vandegrift deserved what they received. Maybe Vandegrift had a cleaner show, maybe they can't be as innovative with their drill or as dynamic with their music because of their size, but they weren't penalized, which shows correct judging. I think it's nonsense to just assume that a smaller bands are less superior because of their size and I'm glad that there are on-field judges to help distinguish technique, playing/marching ability, etc on a more personal level. Also, just a band is more well known and established doesn't mean it deserves higher ranking. Look at the scores, Reagan and TWHS scored two points under Vandegrift. Just because they have the reputation doesn't mean they automatically deserve high scores. And no, I'm in no way affiliated with this band or any of the bands stated on this forum.

Edited by whitewing09

I did not make the trip to The Woodlands. However, it appears to me that a few people posting negative thoughts about a band that marched with only freshman and sophmores at it's first BOA- need to spend a little more time practicing for San Antonio... I bet the kids from Vandegrift are :D

I believe that SFA deserves a huge congrats!!! I wish great things for those kids in both San Antonio and Indy!

I did not make the trip to The Woodlands. However, it appears to me that a few people posting negative thoughts about a band that marched with only freshman and sophmores at it's first BOA- need to spend a little more time practicing for San Antonio... I bet the kids from Vandegrift are :D

I believe that SFA deserves a huge congrats!!! I wish great things for those kids in both San Antonio and Indy!

Vandegrift actually has juniors not just sophomores and freshman. Also, they attended Arlington, won their class but did not make finals. So, this is not their first BOA technically.

Being there wouldn't have made it any more believable. I was there and that score made no sense to anybody but Vandegrift. There's no way they beat out the Johnson, Churchill, The Woodlands, etc. But then, BOA scoring never makes total sense. Oh well, Vandegrift got a gift, that's for sure.

I was there, and was quite surprised by the results. Seeing that at a band competition, singing and dancing seem to be preferred. It seemed a little strange, but the shows overall were great and the effort by the bands and kids were incredible. I personally prefer the bigger bands with more sound. I found the "reputation" comment a little off. I do think there were some gifts too. Keep up the great work everyone!!!! :D

I was there, and was quite surprised by the results. Seeing that at a band competition, singing and dancing seem to be preferred. It seemed a little strange, but the shows overall were great and the effort by the bands and kids were incredible. I personally prefer the bigger bands with more sound. I found the "reputation" comment a little off. I do think there were some gifts too. Keep up the great work everyone!!!! :D

I'm curious as to what about the reputation comment you found a little off?

Can anyone tell me the times for the Marching Contest for Region 14 class 4A and 5A at Calallen stadium. I can't find any local news, and I know it starts tomorrow (the 16th). Sorry to hijack the post, but didn't know where else to ask.

Yeah, I coudn't find the times for the Region 14 contest anywhere. Here are some results:

Alice HS 1

Tuloso-Midway HS 1

Ray HS 1

Calallen HS 1

Gregory Portland HS 1

Kingsville HS 1

Port Lavaca CalhounHS 2

Cigarroa HS 1

Moody HS 2

Flour Bluff HS 1???

Beeville HS 2???

5A:

Laredo MArtin HS 2

Laredo Alexander 1

Laredo United 1

Laredo Nixon 1

Laredo LBJ 1

CC King HS 1

CC Carroll HS 1???

Some improved bands in 4A. In 5A United HS & United South both sound good. Laredo United had some very good moments.

I'm curious as to what about the reputation comment you found a little off?

It was to your comment "just because they have the reputation doesn't mean they automatically deserve high scores"

If that isn't a stab at the bigger bands that have been doing this a lot longer with absolutely incredible shows that have props, and colorguard, then I completely read it out of context. I was there, and saw the shows, and as great as all of the shows were, even the ones that didn't make finals, I have to disagree with the final placements of the bands. That is in no way taking away from how Vandegrift performed, I am just saying that maybe the difficulty of the shows needed to be looked at also. Some of those bands out there had some incredibly difficult shows and maneuvers. Who should be higher? The band that has a much more difficult show that may not have marched quite as clean or the easy show that is very clean? Regardless, I think all the bands were great! :D

It was to your comment "just because they have the reputation doesn't mean they automatically deserve high scores"

If that isn't a stab at the bigger bands that have been doing this a lot longer with absolutely incredible shows that have props, and colorguard, then I completely read it out of context. I was there, and saw the shows, and as great as all of the shows were, even the ones that didn't make finals, I have to disagree with the final placements of the bands. That is in no way taking away from how Vandegrift performed, I am just saying that maybe the difficulty of the shows needed to be looked at also. Some of those bands out there had some incredibly difficult shows and maneuvers. Who should be higher? The band that has a much more difficult show that may not have marched quite as clean or the easy show that is very clean? Regardless, I think all the bands were great! :D

While this is a very valid point, I have to point out one thing: because Vandegrift is so small, they have to be so much better individually. Let me explain. If one person messes up in a band of 350, it gets covered up fairly easily. But if one person messes up in a band of 80, it's glaringly obvious. So the fact that Vandegrift was so clean is a testament to how hard they work and how good they were.

Also, I have to object to your comment about singing and dancing on the field. Sure, Vandegrift sang Simple Gifts ONCE and had body in their show (both of which I liked and thought were effective), but to complain about that and not complain about other GE elements the larger bands do shows a bit of a double standard.

If you still think Reagan and The Woodlands were better than Vandegrift, that's perfectly OK. I didn't see the Woodlands, but I enjoyed Vandegrift's performance more than Reagan's. Looking forward to seeing Vandegrift in their first Super Regional finals. B)