What is the strangest, or mind boggling results you have ever seen in any contest?

For me I have a few, Duncanville dropping to 6th in finals at state, Klien coming from 5th or 6th to win Plano East a few years ago, Haltom beating Bell in the DMI in 99 I believe, Poteet 4th to 1st in 97 state and Coppell getting 3rd in that same year.

I can't remember the year, but when both Mesquite High, and North Mesquite made state, that was nuts.

I have more, but I they just arent hitting me yet, but if I think of them I will post them

What is the strangest, or mind boggling results you have ever seen in any contest?

For me I have a few, Duncanville dropping to 6th in finals at state, Klien coming from 5th or 6th to win Plano East a few years ago, Haltom beating Bell in the DMI in 99 I believe, Poteet 4th to 1st in 97 state and Coppell getting 3rd in that same year.

I can't remember the year, but when both Mesquite High, and North Mesquite made state, that was nuts.

I have more, but I they just arent hitting me yet, but if I think of them I will post them

Aww the one I remember very well, 2003 4A state. 5 way tie for 7th and both Dickenson, and Poteet were left out along with some other good bands, and BRENHAM got in by way of judges vote!!!! First time in a long time that Poteet had missed Finals, and I think for Dickenson as well. The following 4A year they started taking 10 to finals, but that year they didn't even though they had enough schools there to take 10, and even 11 to make all the schools that tied happy

4a state last year was pretty wonky. The scores from prelims to finals were like night and day. I think Friendswood had something like a 9 in prelims, and Dripping Springs and Poteet were at 21 and 23. Then it balanced out a little more in finals. But I remember prelims being the most inconsistant score sheet I had ever seen.

November 2nd, 2004 - Stephen F. Austin places 22nd out of 31 at the UIL 5A State Marching contest (including something like a 30th place ranking from one of the music judges), then 4 days later at Grand Nationals they place 4th in Finals and net the music caption becoming the best sounding band in the entire nation.

November 2nd, 2004 - Stephen F. Austin places 22nd out of 31 at the UIL 5A State Marching contest (including something like a 30th place ranking from one of the music judges), then 4 days later at Grand Nationals they place 4th in Finals and net the music caption becoming the best sounding band in the entire nation.

I love this example! This proves that, as a student, the only thing you have control over is the performance.

Jackson Academy beating Duncanville (aka David beating Goliath) was 1993 and BOA Grand Nationals. From the video, JA clearly had a better show and better performance. (Love the unbiased BOA judging.

Here's another great crazy results example...and Danpod and Company will remember this: 2006. James Bowie H.S. not making finals (not in the top 14) at BOA San Antonio, then merely a week or two later James Bowie H.S. making BOA GRAND NATIONAL FINALS (in the top 12) in a very, very competitive year for nats.

-Alan

All of these are crazy, I like the one about SFA. Keep the responces coming, I like reading these because I don't get to go everywhere and see first hand what happen.

99 State. Coppell wins hands down, but the 4 way tie with 2 schools playing the same music was nuts, they had to break the tie between 4-7 then 6-7, because there were multiple ties after the first tie breaker.

To be honest, I liked how they use to announce all the places in finals, not just top 3 in Texas.

Pflugerville getting 4th today at BOA Arlington. Did anyone see this coming? wow, they were amazing and incredibly unexpected

While I am in no way putting Pflugerville's performance tonight down, I wish they hadn't played Equus. SO tired of that piece, although they played the heck out of it! But seriously...like the 2718492817th time I've heard a band do it. Cedar Park is playing it too this year...case and point.

/end rant

On topic, I also agree with the SFA example. One of my personal favorite upsets was when in 2006, Broken Arrow comes out of nowhere after 4th place in semis to win Grand Nationals over the favorite LD Bell and class champion The Woodlands, both performing their best and most dynamic shows to date. That was a good year for Marching Band.... ^_^

Edited by mellopwn1

Pflugerville getting 4th today at BOA Arlington. Did anyone see this coming? wow, they were amazing and incredibly unexpected

I've always felt like Pflugerville has been one of the most under-appreciated bands in central texas. I feel like they've always had great shows and they play with soooo much energy. I think cleanliness has been a problem in the past, but maybe this will be a break out year for them?

Edited by longhornsax

^Well I think apart of Pville's underrating came from the fact that the other two schools in the district (Hendrickson and Connally) had made such huge names for themselves that Pvill became the forgotten sibling. However this year they are obviously leading the pack, placing highest of non-Dallas area schools. I am very proud of them and cant wait to see how Area fares for them...

I don't remember which state year (2006 maybe?)it was but Cedar Park went from winning Area D to placing in the bottom quarter at State. I think that was the first time they had ever not made finals at a contest as well. But don't quote me on that.

It was actually the second time. Two years in a row their season ended at the Alamodome in prelims. They didn't make finals at BOA San Antonio in 2005, and didn't make State finals in 2006.

I have always believed Pville has been a fantastic program, but Connely, and Hendrickson are better known for the success when the spot light is on them. With that said, Pville deserved the 4th at BOA Arlington, and that is something that program just may have needed to jump them into a solid state year, and Boa season

To further elaborate on that year's UIL music caption:

Yes, one judge, who was a last minute replacement for Richard Saucedo gave us dead last at 33rd I think. Alfred Watkins, Lassiter band director, gave us 3rd or 4th. The other judge was in the middle at 16th or 17th.

After that, it's no wonder SFA doesn't give a rip about UIL anymore.

To further elaborate on that year's UIL music caption:

Yes, one judge, who was a last minute replacement for Richard Saucedo gave us dead last at 33rd I think. Alfred Watkins, Lassiter band director, gave us 3rd or 4th. The other judge was in the middle at 16th or 17th.

After that, it's no wonder SFA doesn't give a rip about UIL anymore.

A few years ago at BOA SA, I sat next to some SFA parents that told me "UIL judges don't like their style." I see that that the results in 2004 are probably a source of that comment, but I'm curious as to how SFA's "style" is so different that causes such variation in results? When I watch SFA I don't see/hear anything in particular that make them so vulnerable to this variation. Anyone care to explain?

A few years ago at BOA SA, I sat next to some SFA parents that told me "UIL judges don't like their style." I see that that the results in 2004 are probably a source of that comment, but I'm curious as to how SFA's "style" is so different that causes such variation in results? When I watch SFA I don't see/hear anything in particular that make them so vulnerable to this variation. Anyone care to explain?

That's because you're right. There's nothing so significantly different about their style that "UIL judges" wouldn't place them well.

The answer is simply that their 2004 State Prelims performance absolutely fell apart musically. I'm not saying that they couldn't perform their show or that it wasn't a great show (they absolutely could, and it absolutely was), it's just that this one particular performance had major problems. Personally, I blame it on the Alamodome. It was their first time to ever play in that kind of a venue and that particular show is hard enough to put on the field without it falling apart (a testament to how good that band really was) that when you add the awful bounces in the Alamodome into the mix, they just didn't know how to handle it.

That's because you're right. There's nothing so significantly different about their style that "UIL judges" wouldn't place them well.

The answer is simply that their 2004 State Prelims performance absolutely fell apart musically. I'm not saying that they couldn't perform their show or that it wasn't a great show (they absolutely could, and it absolutely was), it's just that this one particular performance had major problems. Personally, I blame it on the Alamodome. It was their first time to ever play in that kind of a venue and that particular show is hard enough to put on the field without it falling apart (a testament to how good that band really was) that when you add the awful bounces in the Alamodome into the mix, they just didn't know how to handle it.

Now that you mention it, I do remember it being an awful show.

And now you add that 2004 state experience with the 2002 mud/rain/40 degree disaster, and you have a pretty good idea of what my friends and I thought of UIL back in high school.

Edited by Skippy

James E. Taylor going from 4th to 7th in Area E Finals in 2008.

Here are the scoring sheets:

http://uilforms.com/regions/23/AREA%20MARC...sults-AreaE.xls

One judge alone dropped them 200 points, from prelims to finals, killing whateve chance they had of making State. :angry:

There was other whackiness going on at that show, most notably Clements being rated 3, 2, 4, 2 by judges 1-4, and then a 15 by judge 5, during pelims. Then he gives them a 3 at finals. :wacko:

Sorry, when I see whackiness like this, I really begin to lose faith in the UIL scoring and judging. I have no confidence in that organization, whatsoever. None. I really think they should switch to the BOA system, which is used by most of the major state associations in this country.

Sorry, when I see whackiness like this, I really begin to lose faith in the UIL scoring and judging. I have no confidence in that organization, whatsoever. None. I really think they should switch to the BOA system, which is used by most of the major state associations in this country.

I have shown numerous times that BOA judges are just as inconsistent (and sometimes more) as UIL judges. The problem is that it just isn't as obvious because BOA only has one caption with multiple judges.