This is such a subjective question, but my all-around favorite has to be Avon's 2009 program, "Comm-UNIFORM-ity."

Let me explain myself: This show is based on Santa Clara Vanguard's 1999 show, "Inventions for a New Millenium" -- in my mind, one of the most mature drum corps programs ever concieved. So, Avon's staff took that show, ripped out "The Canyon" and "Blue Shades," and focused solely on Barber's symphonies.

As a brief sidenote, Samuel Barber is one of my favorite composers.

In regard to what Avon did, they added in some dynamics which SCV didn't have, made their trumpet feature more complex (and played it flawlessly) -- and since Avon only had two pieces to work with instead of four, their performance seems more encompassing of Barber's original work.

Finally, in my humble opinion, Avon's finals performance at BOA Grand Nationals stands as the epitome of any high school marching band in terms of musical performance.

So yeah -- Avon 2009 is definitely my favorite show.

This is such a subjective question, but my all-around favorite has to be Avon's 2009 program, "Comm-UNIFORM-ity."

Let me explain myself: This show is based on Santa Clara Vanguard's 1999 show, "Inventions for a New Millenium" -- in my mind, one of the most mature drum corps programs ever concieved. So, Avon's staff took that show, ripped out "The Canyon" and "Blue Shades," and focused solely on Barber's symphonies.

As a brief sidenote, Samuel Barber is one of my favorite composers.

In regard to what Avon did, they added in some dynamics which SCV didn't have, made their trumpet feature more complex (and played it flawlessly) -- and since Avon only had two pieces to work with instead of four, their performance seems more encompassing of Barber's original work.

Finally, in my humble opinion, Avon's finals performance at BOA Grand Nationals stands as the epitome of any high school marching band in terms of musical performance.

So yeah -- Avon 2009 is definitely my favorite show.

Great show indeed! I agree on most points, especially on that trumpet feature which I have listened to time and again, and found no errors, truly Avon's trumpet line worked their tail off for that. Not to mention their brilliantly outstanding low brass that led the performance at a much higher level than has been achieved in the past.

@alinktothepresent- Thanks, you basically just ended the forum, jk :) . By adding the epitome of band drill and performance as your favorite, you silenced all those other lurkers who will no doubt find your conclusion to be the beez kneez, in which case there is no need for any of those fans to submit their opinion.

I welcome those lurkers and others who would now try to find a show that affected them more than a nearly perfect performance with such a great deal of good drill writing and one of the best musical selections in high school marching band history.

This forum topic has been repeated countless times but still remains to be one of the most controversial, so lets keep this topic going if we can, I would like to see most of the current active txbands users to post on this, not only for their invaluable opinion but also for pure entertainment, if you have a youtube link to your favorite show, post it, or post your ideas so we can all enjoy. :)

Edited by K3v1n

Broken Arrow '07

Some of the best color guard work I have seen yet, synced well with the band choreography; there is a great solo towards the middle, a comment below pointed out the exact time. This is a great show all-around.

Discuss. Enjoy.

Also for those fans of Avon, this is one of the better recordings of Avon's State performance in '07.

And finally for those who wish to see the what the fuss is all about for Avon:

This is the encore version in which the camera is more stable and the sound is slightly better than the recording of the finals performance.

Hard to pick. I like various shows for different reasons. I'll just name off some criteria I look for and name of some shows that best exemplify that criteria.

What I think are the most well-performed HS marching shows (more from the perspective of music, but mainly as an entire package)

[What speaks well about these shows is that they were well scored by every single judge on the panel (receiving mostly 1st place votes and no drastically deviating scores outside the top 3)]

Spring 1993

Lassiter, GA 1998

Plymouth-Canton, MI 1999 (What's impressive about this show is their receiving unanimous 1st place ordinals from all 4 music judges in both semis and finals at Nats...some of the score rankings being way above the 2nd place band in that particular category)

Lassiter, GA 2002

Honorable Mention: Marcus 2007. After winning BOA San Antonio with virtually a full caption sweep (including 6/7 judges in finals giving them a 1st place ordinal, plus not receiving lower than a 2nd place ordinal in any caption in prelims), including beating the eventual 2007 GN champion LD Bell, you have to wonder "What If" they had gone to Nationals.

Shows that make you go "Is this marching band or musical theater?"

LD Bell 2005

LD Bell 2006

LD Bell 2007

Broken Arrow 2009

PCEP 2009

Other "personal favorites"

Homestead, IN 1994 (

) - Fastest show I've ever seen! First movement is in the 180-190bpm range. Closer at 6:19-END clocks between 200 and 225, averaging about 210bpm.

Hebron 2006 - Another band with slick drill. Tops out at 190bpm, with cool DDR-style dance moves in the closer.

Tarpon Springs, FL 2008 - Some of the most dazzling drill ever.

Richland 2005 - Just love this show

Pomona, CO 1996 (

) - Belshazzar's Feast, LOUD! People who saw it live swear its the loudest thing they've ever heard, Drum Corps included. This show would likely have medaled at GN instead of placing 5th had they not decided to rewrite half of the show 2 weeks prior.

Harrison, GA 2009 - Extremely well written show.

Ronald Reagan 2002 - Love the concept of this show....even though it's dirtier than their more famous 2003 and 2005 shows. Plus, it's where they plume changes made their debut ;)

Hard to pick. I like various shows for different reasons. I'll just name off some criteria I look for and name of some shows that best exemplify that criteria.

What I think are the most well-performed HS marching shows (more from the perspective of music, but mainly as an entire package)

[What speaks well about these shows is that they were well scored by every single judge on the panel (receiving mostly 1st place votes and no drastically deviating scores outside the top 3)]

Spring 1993

Lassiter, GA 1998

Plymouth-Canton, MI 1999 (What's impressive about this show is their receiving unanimous 1st place ordinals from all 4 music judges in both semis and finals at Nats...some of the score rankings being way above the 2nd place band in that particular category)

Lassiter, GA 2002

Honorable Mention: Marcus 2007. After winning BOA San Antonio with virtually a full caption sweep (including 6/7 judges in finals giving them a 1st place ordinal, plus not receiving lower than a 2nd place ordinal in any caption in prelims), including beating the eventual 2007 GN champion LD Bell, you have to wonder "What If" they had gone to Nationals.

LD Bell 2005

LD Bell 2006

LD Bell 2007

Broken Arrow 2009

PCEP 2009

Homestead, IN 1994 (

) - Fastest show I've ever seen! First movement is in the 180-190bpm range. Closer at 6:19-END clocks between 200 and 225, averaging about 210bpm.

Hebron 2006 - Another band with slick drill. Tops out at 190bpm, with cool DDR-style dance moves in the closer.

Pomona, CO 1996 (

) - Belshazzar's Feast, LOUD! People who saw it live swear its the loudest thing they've ever heard, Drum Corps included. This show would likely have medaled at GN instead of placing 5th had they not decided to rewrite half of the show 2 weeks prior.

Ronald Reagan 2002 - Love the concept of this show....even though it's dirtier than their more famous 2003 and 2005 shows. Plus, it's where they plume changes made their debut ;)

Great list...I might also include PCEP 2001. It was hands-down the coolest show at Nationals that year. That and a sentimental fondness for Winston Churchill '99. Not so much the drill as the music.

LD Bell 2005

LD Bell 2006

LD Bell 2007

Broken Arrow 2009

PCEP 2009

Homestead, IN 1994 (

Pomona, CO 1996 (

I pretty much agree with all of those shows :lol:

Though I'd have to say (based on personal taste) that my favorite show ever would be a toss up between Ronald Reagan's "You Never Know..." and L. D. Bell's "Ascension: Light of Gold". Reagan's show is exciting and fun to watch but L. D. Bell's was just designed so amazingly. It's hard to say which is better...

Adding onto that, Avon's show this year (IconoClash) is shaping up to be really amazing. It could possibly take the position but only time will tell ;)

Edited by Mellophone77

Plymouth-Canton Educational Park 1999.

Talk about maximizing effect. Such a great show.

I wish I was able to see this show live. I borrowed the VHS (yes VHS) from my bd my sophomore year to watch my high schools performance and came across PCEP and my jaw dropped. I even called my mom in to watch it. That show was so far ahead of its time. It would be winning BOAs even now.

My favorite is definitely Marcus '09 "A Midsummer Nights Dream"

The music was just so amazing and revolutionary for marching band. At semis at GNATS I thought they should have taken it all. :)

Marcus just adds a whole other dimension to marching band.

The English Horn solo in that show is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard in my life. The soloist plays with such incredible musical sensitivity and restraint.

• 2 weeks later...

LD Bell 2000-From what I've seen, this show is RIDICULOUSLY clean.

Plymouth Canton 2001-This show is odd in SO many ways, and I love it for that.

Canyon 2004-(YES I'M BIASED BECAUSE I GO HERE NOW:), but in all reality, a heck of a show for 3A, should've won IMO.

LD Bell 2006-The music in this show is my style: Dark and Powerful.

LD Bell 2008-That final push is just AWESOME, that is definitely a signature LD Bell drill move.

Broken Arrow 2009-You can't beat Rite of Spring.

Marcus 2009-Deservingly winning the Music caption is an understatement.

Overall I'd have to go with Bell 2008, just loved the show design overall, EXCELLENT music, and clean drill.

The discussion of SFA 2004 made me go watch their GN show on Youtube for reference. I now will add this show to the "personal favorites" part of my list. Very few shows out there give off this level of sheer "aura" of emotion. The drumline slamming their drums so hard they look like they're about to pull a muscle, and the dance team looking like they're all on the verge of tears during the entire show...brilliance!