DCI Dallas 2010

Xenon

The sun will come out tommorow, although I feel like the sun has already been beating down on me today. I really like the nice playful little theme of always looking forward and all the while pushing and pushing the sound with a crowd friendly show.

Pacific Crest pushed the early crowd into the backs of their bleachers with a lot of low power and a fiery drum line that just kept pumping. I really want to see them grow quickly from their open class champion roots. There is a lot of great potential here.

The second part of Spirit's show made me feel like I was being Watched with the Psycho music. The sound from this group was extremely dark and rich with a lot of rhythmic excitement continually pushing the edge. I like the new uniforms, but then again, vie always been a fan of the different colored legs. The grey color makes it a lot less jarring than the black and white, though.

Mandarins had a cool concept taking you on a tour of exotic faraway lands and bringing forth both musically and visually the different colors and rhythms that go with them. They need some major visual work, but the music and flags in e dance section were quite intriguing.

The Academy had a really cool and different take on the Polovetsian Dances with constantly changing styles and changing guard costumes to match. Lots of seduction and beauty while fighting to control themselves matched with the balance of edginess and control in the brass.

I really want to see the Troopers keep their historic Finals spot, but once again, it is going to be a really tough fight for that 12th spot. They have another cool character show and definitely have the chops to handle the classic rock basis in true classic drum corps fashion. The opening visual ideas got lots of oooooohs from the crowd and they taught us an important lesson... Don't trust the woman, she'll pull your gun on you.

Glassmen wowed the crowd with a great uplifting show that was accessible even without pushing an obvious story on you. The battery was really on fire and had a really exposed book too. The guard was by far the best of the night sonfar with great staging and excellent dramatic execution.

Forum Moderator bluebellbrass and the Blue Stars have an absolutely humoungous sound that constantly pushes your hair back and then pulls you in with the intrigue of control just to push you back in your seat again. And they do all of this while going at blazing fast Cadetslike speed that while a little dirty is really exciting. Best Blue Stars show I've ever seen.

Whilee Blue Stars blew you back with strong chord holds, SCV hits you with tight powerful and absolutely precise jabs in the most absolutely exposed places breaking the immense level of control and rhythmic beauty. This show is even more open and exposed than last years Copland show and that is an amazing feat in and of itself. They handle it so beautifully and really pulled the audience in with the great marching that makes you wonder how in the world they don't have constant collisions.

Bluecoats started in high gear and never slowed down from there. This show is excitement on top of excitement followed by more excitement. They move so fast and execute at such a high level, all while constantly doing lots of excellent body moves that prove that the entire corps understands exactly everything they are doing. Perfection of excitement is epitomized in this show.

Crown's show is absolutely immense in it's music and just keeps pushing you and pressuring you to the point that you can't stand against the weight of the humoungously rich deep chords. They were absolutely by far the loudest of all the corps across both nights and they showed that many many times. But something just didn't click tonight. They had some very minor phasing issues due to the width of the design, but those minor issues were at the worst possible exposed rhythmic times. I feel like they left a lot on the field that they wouldn't normally have done.

I love Crown, and even though they took Houston last night, I think that the seesaw is going to continue with the Bluecoats taking it tonight.

Friday Results:

World Class:

1) 89.55 Bluecoats

2) 89.45 Carolina Crown

3) 86.90 Santa Clara Vanguard

4) 86.35 Blue Stars

5) 82.85 Glassmen

6) 79.50 The Troopers

7) 79.45 The Academy

8) 76.50 Spirit

9) 75.25 Pacific Crest

10) 73.00 Mandarins