DCI Dallas 2010

Xenon

It is time for DCI Dallas and I'm sitting up here in the stands of Wildcat Ram stadium at Lake Highlands waiting for the Thursday night session to start.

The order of performance for the competition is:

Forte

Teal Sound

Pioneer

Crossmen

Madison Scouts

Colts

Blue Knights

Phantom Regiment

Boston Crusaders

The Cavaliers

The Cadets

Blue Devils

Vigilantes

Cascades

Pacific Crest

Spirit

Mandarins

The Academy

Troopers

Glassmen

Blue Stars

Santa Clara Vanguard

Bluecoats

Carolina Crown

Forte is a brand new corps (administration from the former Memphis Sound) from Grand Prairie TX and they did well here at home for a brand new Open Class corps. The muted purple colors in the uniform are a unique look and they bit off quite a bit of music with lots of interesting mixes. I want to see how they will grow in the coming years.

The crowd really loved that Teal colored Sound that filled the stadium with awesome chords and tons of whole corps technical runs. I really have to wonder, though about the long term implications of having a string instrument being a very large component of the show. Are woodwinds soon to come? ;p

Haha. Woodwinds will eventually be in DCI, whether we like it or not. I think they will be confined to the pit for the first few years or so.

Lightning Delay in Houston is still on. Fans are sheltered near the concession stands as they wait for clearance from the stadium to return to their seats.

I really like the idea of Pioneer bringing forth and sharing their corps prayer. It is awesome to see the true spirit of such a historied corps that is always also so young. And as always, the crowd loved the traditional Pioneer march off.

Crossmen's battery section was on fire and they took major advantage of it by featuring them as often as they possibly could. I was really amazed at the imense clarity of the sections every single time that they had solis; especially how clear and steady the trumpets were. Great job proving what Texas can do!

The Madison Scouts are an early crowd favorite with an immediate jumping standing ovation due to all of the loud in your face Gershwin and their always amazingly brilliant guard concepts. The guard was great on all levels, from the artistry all the way to great technical behind the back one handed rifle catches.

The colts had another cool visual show with a great twist on a color based concept. Colors kept popping and changing out of nowhere and going away just as quickly. The guard artistry was full of fun play and lots of good interaction with the hornline.

The Blue Knights thrilled the crowd with awesome dynamics and contrast from the light and airy Farandole to the beautifully strong darkness of Nimrod. They had their great visual expertise as usual, but it was thenmusic that really made the show this year with their immensely deep sounds.

High speed, curved path, rotating pass through. That should be all I need to say about this show.

Phantom has the most anticipated entrance ever performed and I'm not going to tell you anything about it so that you can experience it for yourself. This show is just full of amazingness. Awesome music as always, but now you experience a Phantom Regiment with mind blowing drill too. And to top it all off, they even broke the final drum corps rule and finished with a soft ending.

Boston had another drumlin that was just hugely on fire with a humoungous book. Lots of great character play with the chair very well complimented the enormous full rich chords of the horn line. I did feel that the chair impeded the drill design a bit by cutting off too much of the field.

Boston had another drumlin that was just hugely on fire with a humoungous book. Lots of great character play with the chair very well complimented the enormous full rich chords of the horn line. I did feel that the chair impeded the drill design a bit by cutting off too much of the field.

This is my favorite Cavies show of the millennium!!! The artistry and e musicality of this group is beyond compare and the guard is by far the strongest, cleanest, and most expressive guard that I have ever seen. This was the only show so far to receive a standing ovation in the middle of the show.

Little Jeffrey leads onto the field the happiest, lightest, most well blended sound of the evening. The music the Cadets play is so hard and so fast and yet so veer very controlled with an amazing ensemble sound. This show is so fun and light and yet full of great richness too.

Wow. Wow. ..........WOW!!! This Blue Devils show is not going to be everyone's cup of tea. It is going to be hate it or appreciate it's shear and utter genius of design and absolute brilliance of technical execution. There is more going on in this show than the mind can possibly even begin to process. I can't even begin to describe it. It isn't easy to sit througgh, but you can't tear yourself away from it either. It doesn't come across in the webcasts, but it is absolutely for real live. I fully expect them to break 90 tonight.

Cadets through it down with Thriller to close their encore.

Results:

Open Class:

1) 67.75 Forte

World Class:

1) 92.00 Blue Devils

2) 90.30 The Cavaliers

3) 89.00 The Cadets

4) 86.20 Phantom Regiment

5) 85.35 Boston Crusaders

6) 83.50 Blue Knights

7) 81.95 Madison Scouts

8) 76.70 Colts

9) 75.45 Crossmen

10) 71.20 Teal Sound

11) 69.50 Pioneer

Cadets through it down with Thriller to close their encore.

Results:

Open Class:

1) 67.75 Forte

World Class:

1) 92.00 Blue Devils

2) 90.30 The Cavaliers

3) 89.00 The Cadets

4) 86.20 Phantom Regiment

5) 85.35 Boston Crusaders

6) 83.50 Blue Knights

7) 81.95 Madison Scouts

8) 76.70 Colts

9) 75.45 Crossmen

10) 71.20 Teal Sound

11) 69.50 Pioneer

Interesting to note that the Dallas show did not use a double General Effect panel, yet the Houston show did.