DCI 2010 Shows

Drummantx

Bluecoats show is titled Metropolis and will definately be playing Asphult Cocktail.

Blue Stars 2010 Program will be titled Houdini. Program will be half Phillip Glass, half Original Music.

Cadets haven't released certain pieces but they might be using music from this list of composers.

Samuel Barber

Jay Bocook

Howard Hanson

Nicholai Rimsky-Korsakov

Colts-True Colors

Cascades Show will be titled Silver Lining.

Crossmens Show will be entitled Full Circle, using Metheny's pieces Heat of the Day and Full Circle.

Glassmen Announced Last Night on Facebook that they have released some of their program. It will be titled The Prayer Cycle and will be using the music of Jonathan Elias, Philip Glass and Ron Nelson. Sounds like it could be a good year for the Glassmen. GLASSmen, Phillip GLASS. Punny? Anyway here is the article on the site.

http://www.glassmen.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1367:glassmen-2010-program&catid=100:main-page-features&Itemid=27

Madison Scouts will be playing Rhapsody in Blue and Slaughter on 10th Avenue.

Mandarins-To Dream of Far Away Lands

Pacific Crests program is Titled Maze, and will be using Asphalt Cocktail

Phantom Regiments show will be titled Into the Light, Using New moon in the old moons arms.

Troopers show will entitled Wanted.

Vanguard has announced their full progam. The Santa Clara Vanguard is pleased to announce their musical repertoire for the 2010 Drum Corps International summer tour. The corps will present "BART

Edited by Drummantx

also a rumor, but a some-what reliable source said

"Procession of the Nobles, School for Scandal, Merry Mount Suite - in that order. The theme will be along the lines of "Toy Soldiers."

also, for blue stars

"2010 Blue Stars show titled "Houdini" will be compromised of half original works and the other half, works by Phillip Glass"

sounds pretty cool :P

Edited by Nick VandenBush

A friend of mine who's "camping" Carolina Crown mentioned that their show would be themed "Second Chances" (or a similarly named title) based off their 2nd place finish last year.....the show will feature Second Symphonies of various major composers.

Sounds kind of "Rumor-y" to me, but it would be an interesting approach.

A friend of mine who's "camping" Carolina Crown mentioned that their show would be themed "Second Chances" (or a similarly named title) based off their 2nd place finish last year.....the show will feature Second Symphonies of various major composers.

Sounds kind of "Rumor-y" to me, but it would be an interesting approach.

sounds rumory yes...but also sounds like something Crown would definitely do. And I would love to see them do Barber and Mahlers 2nd. Or Bruckner.....or brahms....the list goes on :)

Just saw the show title on DCP so we can safely assume that's their working title. Oh, and I heard from a very reliable source they are in fact doing Mahler's 2nd ^_^ .

It's kind of surprising how seldom corps program Mahler's music (in comparison to say, another 20th century composer like Barber or Shostakovich), considering how how popular his music is in the orchestral realm (not to mention how German/Wagnerian/bombastic the brass parts tend to be in practice).

It's kind of surprising how seldom corps program Mahler's music (in comparison to say, another 20th century composer like Barber or Shostakovich), considering how how popular his music is in the orchestral realm (not to mention how German/Wagnerian/bombastic the brass parts tend to be in practice).

It seems like Mahler is somewhat of an untouchable composer in Drum Corps. Hopefully, Crown will bust out a 100-soprano feature!

I would say that Mahler is a 19th century composer, despite the fact that his music didn't really come to prominence until the middle part of the 20th century. He had a few major works stretch into the very early part of the 1900s, but most of his pieces are still anchored pretty heavily in the Romantic period. He definitely prophesies the trend to move away from strict major/minor tonality, but he never ventures into the Neo-classical, Modern, or Atonal areas of composition.

I'm certainly no expert on past DCI shows, but I personally recall far fewer corps featuring Romantic period music versus 20th century works. There are definitely standouts, but that period of music just takes a lot more effort to work into a contemporary marching show.

• 4 weeks later...
when I think of Mahler and drum corps, its hard not to think of phantom 06. one of my favorites

I kind of agree with you. Good show, played very well. But didn't like the arrangement of Mahler 2 in there.

And yes, i realize the irony of me saying that.

Mandarins: "To Dream of Far Away Lands"

The Caravan

Meetings Along the Edge-Ravi Shankar/Philip Glass

To Dream of Far Away Lands

The Mountain of Fruit and Flowers-David Buckley

The Threat of Mongols / The Himalayas

Samudra Manthan-Shivkumar Sharma

Discovering India

Quiet-Sheila Chandra

Ever So Lonely-Monsoon

Arrival in China

Ambush from Ten Sides-Chicago Symphony Orchestra / Yo-Yo Ma