Haha, I guess we just grow 'em tall here in DS. It never really occurred to me... We have one super tall tuba, around 6'5" or so, and most of our low brass is pretty tall. One of the bases, myself and another tenor are all above 6'1", but the snares are all short girls. ;)

Haha, compared to you all, our band seemed so small. It was hilarious walking by you all.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now catching up on sleep from Tuesday. The State contest was great. I missed the first block of bands but saw everybody else. The level of competition was incredible. Seemed everytime a band finished we would turn to each other and say - wow, they were really good too! Congratulations to all the finalists and to Poteet (awesome as always), Friendswood (my personal favorite show), and especially Dripping Springs, our compadre in district, way to go! We squeeked by you in Area but you got the Big One and deservedly so - LOVE the color guard.

Things I remember: big dancing shoes, a dead chess piece, Juliet falling on top of Romeo (whack!), the girl getting literally thrown out of heaven, over-priced food, the Dripping Springs and Hendrickson bands exchanging congrats in the lot, the Waxahachie band correcting the announcer on how to pronounce their name :lol: in the Finals retreat, TCU playing Voodoo Chile on tuba, and 26 of the best high school bands in Texas throwing it down in the 'Dome! Ahhh, good times.........

We at Wakeland (I am a parent) were seated next to Dripping Springs during the announced results. They in NO WAY were rude, out of order, or anything else negative in their reaction. They were super-excited, and they have every right to be. They truly seemed surprised at first before they accepted the fact they had won. The drum major did not "throw down the trophy" - he simply put it down and then came running over to his band to celebrate with them. The trophy fell over when he got about half way to the stands.

I did not see most of the finals or prelims for that matter, but I know that the Friendswood show in prelims was absolutely incredible! I would sit through a halftime show at a football game to watch it again due to its high level of entertainment value (not everyone has this incorporated). I had heard they had a few timing issues in finals, and if so, that is probably why they dropped to 2nd.

It's amazing to me that most of the students were the ones talking positively about other's shows. There were 5 students from another school setaed behind me during prelims when we were on, and they had nothing but good things to say to each other about our show. I only wish some parents would take the hint from them on what and what not to say during a competition.

Well, he did drop it and start cheering, but he did not "throw it."

Anyway... this horse is fairly beaten.

When I saw the Drum Major drop the trophy, I did not get any notion that it was a drop of class. To me, it just felt like he was extremely excited and was coming back to his band with a huge amount of adrenaline. Thought I'd add that last note :)

I feel there is a good friendship between Dripp and Hendrickson, which is why we were very excited for you.. and why we had also applauded and screamed for you, at area.

P.S Whoever Dr.Pericles? is, stop saying how proud you were of our class, because we were about as "classy" as any other band there. Every band had enough emotions to have good and bad reactions.

Edited by HHSEuph