Churchill High School Head Director and Color Guard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow I wasn't expecting this to happen. I stumbled across this today and thought it was interesting. It seems Churchill needs a new director, but they buried the ad way at the bottom. check it out, what do you think this means for Churchill?

http://www.neisd.net/employment/docu...NDDIRECTOR.pdf

word on the street is they are looking for new color guard person as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow I wasnt expecting this to happen. I stumbled across this today and thought it was interesting. It seems Churchill needs a new director, but they buried the ad way at the bottom. check it out, what do you think this means for churchill?

http://www.neisd.net/employment/docu...NDDIRECTOR.pdf

word on the street is they are looking for new color guard person as well.

:( yes, you are correct, unfortunately, Churchill needs both. Officially, there is no head band director as of Monday 051809. Ferd Vollmer is the acting head director.

Albert Lo is a great director. I got to meet him once when he came to help us out during concert season. In that one day I could tell that he was a great teacher and truly loved what he was doing.

Is there a reason out for him leaving yet? I hope this isn't related to their fall show, it would be a shame to lose two great directors for the same reason.

Is there a reason out for him leaving yet? I hope this isn't related to their fall show, it would be a shame to lose two great directors for the same reason.

From what I understand the administration at Churchill had ridiculous restrictions and requirements for show design and they did not want to put up with it anymore, thus the open positions.

I'm not sure how true this is but if a WCHS student could confirm this then we can discuss until out hearts are content.

From what I understand the administration at Churchill had ridiculous restrictions and requirements for show design and they did not want to put up with it anymore, thus the open positions.

I'm not sure how true this is but if a WCHS student could confirm this then we can discuss until out hearts are content.

From what my band director told us, the band director either got hurt or injured and this was before the state marching band contest when ferd vallmer came to clinician us. but i think also that the show they did was added on to it.

But i'm not sure either and if ferd teaches their, it won't be bad at all he's a great band director and a wonderful drill writer.

Folks, I don't think you're going to hear much from the students there. They are pretty upset about what has gone down this past year and honestly, they just want to move on and continue to perform.

If I had to "speculate" and give an "educated guess", I'd say that the staff changes at Churchill stem from the ridiculous backlash that their 2008 show received. This whole situation simply reinforces the fact that there are still some people out there that don't have the maturity or the intelligence to recognize the true intent of a message. Heaven forbid we actually stop and listen to the other side of the story for once.

It seems to me like the administration at the school didn't agree with how the program was run. I'm not just talking about show design either. I can assure you that the differences the administration had with how the program was run were petty, at best. The old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," comes to mind.

I hope the National Alliance on Mental Illness is very proud of themselves. I also find it quite interesting that they decided to go after this particular show. A WGI Independent World Drumline in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania called The Project performed a show titled Asylum in 2003. If you can find a video of it, I suggest you go check it out. If you were offended by Churchill's show, The Project's drumline show may send you into a permanent fetal position.

Under normal circumstances, head director changes at many schools have proven to be devastating. Some of the best programs in the State have taken a few years to get back from a director change. Some programs simply never return to the same level of success that they once had. I hope the program makes it through this situation okay.

I am saddened to hear about the departure of two of Churchill band directors, but I do not feel that this means an end to the amazing performances churchill puts out there. I think they can still be as competitive as ever if they accept whoever takes over. This year Connally went under the exact same transisition, our head director left, the one who had been the head since the school opened, and our color guard instructor left. We at Connally pushed through became closer as a band family and we did pretty darn well, getting 1st place overall at USSBA, placing the highest in school history at a tough BOA Arlington, and putting on a darn good Area D 5A finals performance that many in the state believe deserved a state berth. So the Churchill program can still be amazing its about the desicions the kids make on how they react to the new directors, I hope that they push through because I have always loved the churchill program.

Edited by titancoaster

at the band parent meeting last Monday, Jeff Vaughn, the principal, said that Albert Lo officially gave his resignation that very day. Of course there was no explanation all, but I can understand that he could not do so...we also were told that the NEISD would now be giving all the high schools $20,000 for their color guard instructor. I have no idea how this is run in other schools but this takes control away from the band parents association and we are no longer to pay our basic band fees to the BPA but now directly to the school. We were really all shell shocked at what is going on....the district has really stepped in and taken control. It all feels as if it truly came out of left field. No one came to us to ask our opinion or our side of any story. Both the district and the school admin said this is it, too bad if you don't like it.

I am worried, and so are other parents, that this will make the upcoming programs "safe, cute and very boring"-that Churchill will no longer be competitive. Yes, the kids are upset (and their parents too-we had this thrown at us too with these changes and I am aware of no one asking our input either) but we do want to move on...this should make everyone work hard and to prove that we all can overcome any adversity. I am very proud of our kids, directors, and everyone involved in 'making the band'.