Cavaliers Drum Corps News

mbui

With regret, The Cavaliers announce the retirement of long-time percussion caption head and designer Bret Kuhn, effective immediately.

"Bret has accumulated an impressive record, starting with the corps in 1981 as a member and has maintained a solid relationship either as a member, technician, caption head or designer. His dedication to the corps and to the members is unparalleled in our recent history," said corps director Jeff Fiedler.

In addition to his service with The Cavaliers, Kuhn is active in the metropolitan Chicago area as a teacher, clinician and performer.

"When people ask me why I have done drum corps for so many years, I tell them I haven't (only that) I've done the Cavaliers. To me it was never drum corps, it was always family and friends, and the competition was always with ourselves and not other corps. This is where I believe you draw ultimate strength in subjective competition like drum corps," Kuhn wrote in a letter to members of the Cavaliers board of directors.

While retiring from the day to day responsibilities of percussion writing, arranging and caption management, Kuhn still plans to serve as percussion instructor at the Cavaliers' summer camp program for high school students.

Kuhn also commented that the 2005 summer was one of his most favorite teaching experiences because of the incredible attitudes and work ethic of The Cavaliers drum line. He especially thanks section leaders Garrett Scharton, Joe Hobbs, Michikazu Narita and Matt Bartosiewicz for the great examples that they set all summer long. Kuhn plans to follow up on the corps' progress by visiting throughout the year.

The Cavaliers thank Bret for his tireless dedication to the organization and wish him the best of luck in all of his future endeavors.

http://www.cavaliers.org/cgi-bin/news.pl?c...howstory&id=573

• 3 weeks later...