DCI World Class Championships

Danpod

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't even get me started on them. They were throwing elbows into my stomach as we walked out into retreat for finals. I was livid...

They seriously still do that? The whole Boston arc did it to our horn Sergeant in 2006 leaving encore. He brought it to the Boston director's attention, and people got reamed. I just assumed that kind of childish behavior would've stopped after something like that.

Yeah, stuff like that needs to be brought up with corps directors, and stopped.

Edited by Skippy

I believe EVERY corps can and does show class just because of the nature of the activity. I'm not sure how to type why I believe this (I'd probably sound like an idiot if I did) but this is my personal opinion. I can, however, see where you're coming from, so I'm sorry if I came off as harsh.

March drum corps a few years (or even once), then start talking like you know how things roll. You are so wrong it's laughable.

Edited by Skippy

March drum corps a few years (or even once), then start talking like you know how things roll. You are so wrong it's laughable.

Thanks for being nice about how "wrong" I was. I guess people are not entitled to have a personal opinion anymore, and don't say I was talking like I "know how things roll" when I said...

...this is my personal opinion.

and I also didn't say why I believe this because...

I'm not sure how to type why I believe this (I'd probably sound like an idiot if I did)

It's amazing how hard people try to make others feel wrong and just plain bad. So guess what, it worked.

Happy?

Edited by adam12343210

Thanks for being nice about how "wrong" I was. I guess people are not entitled to have a personal opinion anymore, and don't say I was talking like I "know how things roll" when I said...

Of course you are entitled to an opinion. However, your opinion is that every corps has class. There are actual actions that take place from several corps that are consistently classess, rude, and offensive. Your opinion doesn't change the fact that these events take place. Unless you think that body-checking members of other corps into buses, flipping off members of other hornlines, making fun of corps in encore when they beat them in a show, purposely playing all the wrong notes in encore (as loud as possible), elbow checking members of other corps while in uniform is still classy.

Of course you are entitled to an opinion. However, your opinion is that every corps has class. There are actual actions that take place from several corps that are consistently classess, rude, and offensive. Your opinion doesn't change the fact that these events take place. Unless you think that body-checking members of other corps into buses, flipping off members of other hornlines, making fun of corps in encore when they beat them in a show, purposely playing all the wrong notes in encore (as loud as possible), elbow checking members of other corps while in uniform is still classy.

I still think that every corps can show class because of the nature of the activity. I don't think they do it all the time, or for some corps 1/4 of the time, but I do think they do at least sometimes.

After rereading some of my posts and others responses on this thread, I realize that my posts have been a bit ironic in that while I've been busy pointing out others "lack of class" I've not really been showing any myself...

The original instigator of this discussion was right in that the activity as a whole is rather "classy" just due to the ideals and overall goals of it. Having a drum corps is impossible without teamwork, discipline, and great leadership. It takes years of hard work and class for an organization to reach the status of a corps like the Blue Devils, and just a fraction of that time to completely derail an organization, whether its something said by a member of the organization or some random guy on an internet forum.

Sure isolated incidents happen here and there, as they do with most corps/high school groups. You can't expect everyone to act perfect all of the time, especially in an activity where you are in an incredibly stressful environment for about 10 hours a day. Its unfortunate that its usually these isolated incidents that can sometimes decide what some people think about an entire organization, and even more unfortunate that sometimes these people choose to share these bad experiences with others on band forums and such, which ultimately gives people the wrong impression about the group.

As for my post earlier, sorry if I offended anyone. Got a little wrapped up in stress during finals week and kind of just posted the first thing that came to my mind, in a rather disrespectful fashion. I would define the Blue Devils as anything but classless, and happen to be very good friends with a good number of their members.

I agree that you shouldn't judge an entire organization by an isolated incident. But when literally every single encounter I have had with an organization could be defended as an "isolated incident", it leads me to believe that such events are not really so isolated.

Well in that case that makes a lot of sense. I thought you meant that you saw/heard about a few isolated incidents, not EVERY time you have seen that corps. Sorry if I came off as offensive.

Edited by adam12343210