Well, I know Mackey isn't currently the most popular composer out in the lot, especially for large ensembles, but thankfully I see he's gaining out there, with Sachse Playing Turbine in their show, Poteet using Strange Humors in Honor Band recordings, and the All-State band performing Turbine last year.

I just wanted to draw a little more attention to this guy and get others opinions on him.

If you haven't heard it already, I suggest you check out his Soprano Sax concerto!! INSANE!!!

www.ostimusic.com

One of the reasons he's gotten so huge is BECAUSE of Turbine being performed by the All-State band. Not to mention it's a great piece, but when really good music gets exposure at TMEA, it almost guarantees said composer a catapault into notoriety.

I've known about Mackey for a few years now, but it wasn't until Turbine's performance at TMEA that I've started to hear lots of other people start talking about how great he is. Drum Corps and Marching Bands and major Wind Symphonies have started picking up his works and Mackey will continue to enjoy much success from it.

He's a great composer.

• 10 months later...
a cool thing about composers like Mackey is the fact that you can play any note at any given time in pieces like Turbine and it will sound correct.

And that's hard to do.

That is co completely true. Hah. There's a lot of loud dissonance.

So, play a wrong note really loud, it sounds wonderful :)

We played an arrangement of "Turbine" in our marching show last year.

I've been completely fascinated in his style of composition since.

I love "Redline Tango". It's one of my favorites.

And I know that I've heard Kingfishers Catch Fire from at least two bands this year.

When I first read the title "Kingfishers Catch Fire" off the TMEA program I didn't know what a Kingfisher was and assumed that the title had to do with master fishermen who were able to ensnare fire with their fisherman's rods from the waters they fished from.....which sounds almost as cool imo.

Edited by takigan

• 2 years later...

I go to Round Rock High School, in round rock, TX, its near the Austin area, and we played a John Mackey piece, Asphalt Cocktail, in our wind ensemble last year. It was such a great piece, it was loud, it was in your face, and it was very unique. And we actually got to meet him! He came to one of our rehearsals, hes very short, and has no experience playing a musical instrument. I think he mentioned he tried to learn piano but couldnt do it. he just knows a lot about composition (he went to juliard for composition) and just uses an arrangment software along with audio samples of notes of all of the instruments to compose his music. To me, this just makes his music even more amazing! i really hope we play something composed by him again this year. and on a side note, i play saxophone, and he really writes killer sax parts! :D

I go to Round Rock High School, in round rock, TX, its near the Austin area, and we played a John Mackey piece, Asphalt Cocktail, in our wind ensemble last year. It was such a great piece, it was loud, it was in your face, and it was very unique. And we actually got to meet him! He came to one of our rehearsals, hes very short, and has no experience playing a musical instrument. I think he mentioned he tried to learn piano but couldnt do it. he just knows a lot about composition (he went to juliard for composition) and just uses an arrangment software along with audio samples of notes of all of the instruments to compose his music. To me, this just makes his music even more amazing! i really hope we play something composed by him again this year. and on a side note, i play saxophone, and he really writes killer sax parts! :D

We've played a piece by him every year since '08. '08 was Redline Tango, '09 was Sasparilla (not sure of this one), and '10 was Asphalt Cocktail.

Oh, and I'm from Round Rock too...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...