Best Rising Bands in the State

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Marcus's directors have done a great job with that program. I sat next to their band parents at BOA Arlington during finals (they're extremely nice by the way) and I asked them about why they sound so beautiful. All of the parents around me said that it's all due to their director putting a major emphasis on junior high. Their current director has only been the Head for 2 years I think, and before that was heavily involved in Marcus's feeder program. Apparently she had her junior high students playing top notch repertoire. Now that she's the head director, she's inherited all of those kids she worked so hard to make into amazing musicians. So, I'd say their sound is a product of 3 full years of amazing pre-high school musicianship not found in many feeder programs for 5A's.

That's awesome.

I wish our feeder schools would get some of their stuff together. It's time.

maybe its mr dickson's signature move?

like how mansfield will always have a pull through move? im curious as to see how many of those pull through moves our drill writer can actually come up with.

As long as Mr. Garrett is there, at least.

Haha, I have grown to be able to recognize Garrett and Dixon drill. Haha.

I love marcus' sound.

right now, we're focusing on those middle school bands feeding into us. The middle schools when first opened weren't under Centennial High, so there wasn't much of a communication line between the schools, but that's changing now. Hopefully we continue to grow.

My little brother's going to be in band the next 4A state year.

and Creekview! HOLLY FREAKING CRAP! They have made leaps and BOUNDS in a year. Mr. Hazzard and Ms. Hoeflinger greatly greatly improved that band in no time at all.

marcus is going to be a 5a power house if they arent already 5A State is gonna be baller.. whos goin?

A little early to think about 5A state, but yes, it will be awesome next year. Im so glad the Alamodome has been chosen for all the major competitions so that its not to far away for me.

As for going, I plan to be in the competition. We made Area finals last state year, and with all the improvements our new directing staff has made, I think we should be able to make it next time around.

post removed as requested by user

-mbui (moderator)

So, I've been asked to remove my original post about the Marcus Band Program. I was told that because I do not know the Marcus director, Ms. Drinkwater, I have maybe misrepresented their band program in my above statement, despite my intentions. Let me explain my above post, to clear up any confusion about my original post. When I attended BOA Arlington, I asked several band parents exactly how Marcus brings such a beautiful sound to the field. What I posted above is exactly what the parents told me. No, I don't know Ms. Drinkwater, or any students in the Marcus band... but I just posted what those band parents told me. I was also notified that I may have taken credit away from the middle school directors. I never meant that at all, obviously, they are doing a superb job! I hope nobody else feels that I have done so, either. All I was saying was that the Marcus band parents I talked to, said Ms. Drinkwater was heavily involved in the feeder program prior to becoming the Head Director for the Marcus band. Those parents also said that those middle schoolers were, in fact, playing some amazing music. I was also notified that the middle schoolers were more of a subject of an emphasis on fundamentals. I just assumed that when I said "the middle schoolers play top notch repertoire," it was understood they are receiving an strong emphasis on fundamentals.

My original post regarding the Marcus Band Program purely complimentary towards everyone involved with that program. While I am confident that I didn't misrepresent the band program, I certainly understand the concern which was brought to my attention, and appreciate the politeness! Again, misrepresentation was certainly not my intention. I will delete my original post, because I feel that the member who brought this to my attention obviously feels strongly about it, and I respect that.

I do hope that no one feels like they've been misrepresented, I apologize if they do. If you feel that I've misrepresented you, anyone is welcome to reply to my posts and correct me. Nobody's perfect, especially myself.

I think this is a great community. Thanks for being so nice! I wish more people would say "hey, you might want to keep this in mind," like the individual who messaged me. Very mature, very polite, very respectful. I'm still a Marcus Band fan though :D

oh, and,

Congrats LD Bell and all the other Texas bands @ Grand Nats, you've made us proud.

Hm, I didn't read any sort of negative comments in your original post. It sounded like just one big compliment. Even if it was wrong information, you didn't write it with the intention of giving bad information. Your thoughts were completely justified.

And I'm sure Ms. Drinkwater has been there for longer than two years. She became Marcus' director when I was a junior, which would be about four years ago, after the original head director resigned.

At least that's what I remember happening.

Hmm.......I too was asked to remove a pretty innocent post about Marcus yesterday for the same reason.

weird... when I first joined, I was asked to remove a post about Marcus as well. I didn't see anything terribly wrong with it.

I think Ms. Drinkwater has been there since "Fowl Play" right? I don't know if she was there before that, but that's the first show I remember with her name being announced...

All those bands are good but you have to count akins in because out of no where they came to play and march. They will make boa san antonio finals next year if not the year after that and they have a good chance of going back to the state finals next year for the 2nd time in a row.

I enjoyed your show this year. That's all I'll say because it's the Holidays....

All those bands are good but you have to count akins in because out of no where they came to play and march. They will make boa san antonio finals next year if not the year after that and they have a good chance of going back to the state finals next year for the 2nd time in a row.

To all out in the band world, I apologize for my pier. Please just ignore this person's post. I was gonna post a long flame but decided it would be better not to air my dirty laundry. I've sent this person a private message, it's been delt with. Please ignore and move on.

Again I offer my apologies to everyone. This is not representitive of us by any means. Every band has their "tard kid".

Edited by BassoonPadwan

One band that I've kind of followed since their in my district and one of our biggest rivals, is the Clark band from the NISD district in San Antonio. Its almost scary the jump that they've made in one year. Last year they went from placing fairly highly in Area G to this year barely beaten by Westfield in USSBA State Competition. Over the next few years I would be on the lookout for bands from the other district in San Antonio. The NISD district really wants to start competing with some of the great things the NEISD is doing.

To all out in the band world, I apologize for my pier. Please just ignore this person's post. I was gonna post a long flame but decided it would be better not to air my dirty laundry. I've sent this person a private message, it's been delt with. Please ignore and move on.

Again I offer my apologies to everyone. This is not representitive of us by any means. Every band has their "tard kid".

What was wrong with his post?